Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Overrated City in the World...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:24 am
Original Poster

The Most Overrated City in the World...

DUBAI is got to be the most overrated city or perhaps ABU DHABI. It's like SHANGHAI or SINGAPORE put in the desert, without the good food and nasty locals who treat you like a second-class non-citizen.

One of the last cities I would call overrated is SYDNEY. Overpriced maybe. It may not have the history, maybe in that category it doesn't shine but food, diversity, climate, the natural settings and surroundings, friendliness... it's very very hard to beat! I'm not a city person but it's one of the few I could probably live. NY, LA, London, Paris, I find these places suffocating.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: Motionsick Planespotters, Inc.
I don't get the hype about Queenstown. Overpriced, overrated, full of tourists. Would never go back.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:28 am

Indeed ,DUBAI is overrated .I 'use' DXB only for its airport and do not go through customs .
Most big cities are overrated and are usually less secure as well.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Tijuana. So many people who visit San Diego want to go to Tijuana. I don't want to say anything derogatory, but any negative comments made about any other place apply to Tijuana 10x over.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Paris. Not a bad city but highly overrated.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:40 pm

I think San Francisco. I fully agree it deserves a high rating, but think it is over rated, Especially when factoring in hotel costs. One day, two nights, is enough.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:35 pm

LA !!!!

I was just researching a little and it is actually rated by many
fairly highly?

Underrated- Istanbul.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Tijuana. So many people who visit San Diego want to go to Tijuana. I don't want to say anything derogatory, but any negative comments made about any other place apply to Tijuana 10x over.
Heyyyy....most visited city in the world! Though not too many want to stay overnight.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by NeilA
LA !!!!

I was just researching a little and it is actually rated by many
fairly highly?

Underrated- Istanbul.
Agree on LA. I have come across many Australians that visit LA and Vegas only when they visit the US and come back saying that they did not have that great of a time. I say of course because the best of the US is elsewhere. LA does have some attractions but they are very spread out and once you have done them there is not much else on offer IMO.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance
New York for me.
A lot of things are made out to be a big deal to see like Times Square and the Statue of Liberty etc... but when you actually see them in person it's all very underwhelming.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Paris, Venice, Las Vegas, LA
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Indeed ,DUBAI is overrated .I 'use' DXB only for its airport and do not go through customs .
How do you consider it overrated if you don't go outside the airport? I spend a long weekend there on a layover and had a very nice time. I had no problems with the locals.

I can't stand Las Vegas. I can understand why it's highly rated if your rating is based on gambling, drinking, spending money, bright, loud, etc. I much prefer nature, hiking, natural wonders, etc., so I'm obviously not their target.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by CPRich
How do you consider it overrated if you don't go outside the airport? I spend a long weekend there on a layover and had a very nice time. I had no problems with the locals.

I can't stand Las Vegas. I can understand why it's highly rated if your rating is based on gambling, drinking, spending money, bright, loud, etc. I much prefer nature, hiking, natural wonders, etc., so I'm obviously not their target.
Since this thread is about cities, perhaps you should start a thread about the most overrated natural wonders. Oooh, the Napali Coast - that really sucks!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:11 pm

79F right now in LA. Just sayin.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Paris
If you know some locals in Paris, who will go out with you, Paris is an exciting city that is hard to beat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.