Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Overrated City in the World...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
79F right now in LA. Just sayin.
but probably stuck in traffic somewhere. Just sayin....

And that is the main reason I consider LA overrated.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by warakorn
If you know some locals in Paris, who will go out with you, Paris is an exciting city that is hard to beat.
I can't imagine calling Paris "overrated." The op set a good example by explaining his/her reasons, but it ought to be a requirement one's post.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Feb 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by Timedzoned
DUBAI is got to be the most overrated city or perhaps ABU DHABI. It's like SHANGHAI or SINGAPORE put in the desert, without the good food and nasty locals who treat you like a second-class non-citizen.
I disagree. I lived in Dubai for three years and found it a great place to live with good food... I like it about the same as Singapore which I also like. I was never treated as a second-class citizen in Dubai.

For me, London is overrated: expensive, dreary, overcrowded, poor public transport... I don't need to go back.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:49 pm

This is definitely an interesting and eye-opening thread. Different strokes . . .
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I can't imagine calling Paris "overrated." The op set a good example by explaining his/her reason's, but it ought to be a requirement one's post.
It's the nature of these threads. If they run for long enough, every major city in the world will get mentioned by someone. Including many of the really popular destinations.

People simply have different tastes and interests. Take me and Barcelona as an example. "Everybody" loves Barcelona. I've been there several times, and I just cannot "connect" with that city. I'm still meh about that place.

Nothing to do with Spain, mind you, I absolutely love Madrid.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
It's the nature of these threads. If they run for long enough, every major city in the world will get mentioned by someone. Including many of the really popular destinations.

People simply have different tastes and interests. Take me and Barcelona as an example. "Everybody" loves Barcelona. I've been there several times, and I just cannot "connect" with that city. I'm still meh about that place.

Nothing to do with Spain, mind you, I absolutely love Madrid.
I understand. That's why if people are going to say something most people won't agree with, they should, at least, explain themselves.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
I can't imagine calling Paris "overrated." The op set a good example by explaining his/her reason's, but it ought to be a requirement one's post.
I've been to Paris over 100 times. Usually 1 day per trip. It has some great architecture, but so do 100 other cities. The Louvre is a good museum, but I prefer the museums in Amsterdam or London. The Mona Lisa? Really? About the size of a sheet of paper and behind inches of acrylic and you're not allowed to get anywhere near it/

Paris isn't a bad city. I said that in my OP. But the reputation is has of been a super great city, one of the best in the world, isn't justified.

London is better. Rome is better. Amsterdam is better. Helsinki is better. If I was given a choice between going to Paris for a week or Perth for a week they wouldn't be able to finish the sentence before I was on the plane to Perth. Tokyo is better. Singapore is better and Singapore is boring.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Since this thread is about cities, perhaps you should start a thread about the most overrated natural wonders. Oooh, the Napali Coast - that really sucks!
Not sure what the "Napoli Coast " is, assume you mean the amalphi coast, but then again baffled, its almost universally aclaimed as a beautiful area !
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Not sure what the "Napoli Coast " is, assume you mean the amalphi coast, but then again baffled, its almost universally aclaimed as a beautiful area !
Google it and spell it as I did and you may see what I was referring to. Regardless, it was a joke suggesting that people will find natural wonders "overrated" too.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Take me and Barcelona as an example. "Everybody" loves Barcelona. I've been there several times, and I just cannot "connect" with that city. I'm still meh about that place.
I agree with you about Barcelona. I don't get the wide appeal of it. But then, I don't like Paris or Berlin either.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Wadi Rum.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Google it and spell it as I did and you may see what I was referring to. Regardless, it was a joke suggesting that people will find natural wonders "overrated" too.
My error, sorry
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Wadi Rum.
I would hardly describe Wadi Rum as a city. Sure you may feel it is overrated as a destination, but surely doesn't fit with the topic of this thread.

For me, another vote for LA. Just don't get the appeal. Throw in Vegas as well.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Dubai, Vegas, Shanghai, Singapore, San Francisco, cities along the eastern seaboard of the US (though I'm partial to Queens and South Philly).

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
79F right now in LA. Just sayin.
88F in Singapore. 365 days. Guaranteed. You need to have just one type, very light clothing for whole year.

P.S... which kinda get me into trouble when I arrived in Tokyo 2 weeks ago and it was 25F outside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.