Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the future of IFE ?

What is the future of IFE ?

Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:05 pm
Suspended

I wouldn't mind them going to all WiFi-based entertainment, but it needs to be free and they need to supply powerports to every seat.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by airsurfer
Currently most airlines have big screen IFE with hundreds of movies, even in Y. With the advent of smartphones and tablets and now even in-flight wifi , this might become obsolete in the near future as airlines can stream movies wirelessly in the cabin even without Internet connection. This would save lots of weight while passengers do have still their IFE on their own devices.

What do you think about. this?
This is in place already in some LCC's (for example - Singapore's Scoot).

I don't like it at all, because of a lack of comfort -- you either place your device on the tray table (therefore needing to strain your neck by looking down), or lift it up to eye level (therefore tiring out your arms).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
This is in place already in some LCC's (for example - Singapore's Scoot).

I don't like it at all, because of a lack of comfort -- you either place your device on the tray table (therefore needing to strain your neck by looking down), or lift it up to eye level (therefore tiring out your arms).
United has had this for a while (tried it on their 747).

I think the market is going to diverge between two options:
  • ULCCs, LCCs, regional, and possibly non-transcontinental domestic (excluding premium NYC-SFO/LAX routes) will go Wi-Fi only long term.
  • International and premium domestic routes will keep the screens.

Obviously having screens is better than no screens to most passengers, but if the flight is three hours or less it just really doesn't make that big of a difference at all.

A more pressing problem is the amount of content. On recent AA/VX/B6 flights from SFO-JFK, the free content was pretty much nonexistent.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

I found this article and then dugged up this thread I started a year ago in which I ask about the same.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 8:15 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Although my ideal IFE is merely to stand up, walk around and either read/chat with someone in the aft galley, when that's not possible, I'll then choose from music, movies, or the moving map. Mmhmm.

On a couple of recent flights, when the seatback tv wasn't functioning (NH J, J2 Y), an FA brought a tablet over. I wish seats had a built-in space to house tablets/phones...
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:54 pm

I rarely travel with my computer or my tablet, specially on vacation, and I absolutely hate to watch anything over 1 minute on the cellphone screen. Therefore, I find the IFE screen to be very convenient. I would not like to see them go away at all.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 6:38 pm

Great, I get to use my own tablet and have no battery left when we arrive.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I'd trade IFE for just a great way to hang my iPad on the seat in front of me. I'm too tall to sit it on the tray table and see it comfortably.
There's an FT thread for that: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...seat-back.html

Also see: https://www.wired.com/2015/08/airhoo...r-kickstarter/

It makes sense that all the hardwired IFE goes away (along with all the associated gear, and weight it adds). It had its time, but it's so easy to stream to your device now. I just watched a movie last night on Alaska on my Macbook Pro (on one of the E75's: no other IFE option on those) and it was just fine. The only downside is that for the moment the selection on the DigiPlayers seems to have more current stuff (perhaps a licensing issue?).

Now if they could just increase the Gogo connection speeds to the internet...
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:12 pm

vr IFE, cheaper, lighter, and hey VR dude!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by savonarola
I rarely travel with my computer or my tablet, specially on vacation, and I absolutely hate to watch anything over 1 minute on the cellphone screen. Therefore, I find the IFE screen to be very convenient. I would not like to see them go away at all.
Yeah, I still feel the same way. I generally have my cell phone with me but I don't want to use it for IFE. I want to read or play games or whatever while I half pay attention to the IFE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.