Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the worst terminal to terminal transfer in the world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the worst terminal to terminal transfer in the world?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A not so obvious one:
Transfer between LHR T5B and T5C. We had to wait for 12 min for that stupid people mover. 12 minutes! If airports install people movers it should go every 3 mins at least.
Of course, there is a walkway, which I am happy to use after that experience.
What su*** at LHR is a landside terminal transfer, esp. between T5 and T4.
You can take the tube and transfer at Hatton Cross. Or you take some bus, which I could not find clear information on the internet.

Another one is CGN:
T1 and T2 are side-by-side. If you want to transfer you need to exit to landside and reclear security. Why dont they just build a little walkway between T1 and T2?

Another complaint I have with HKG:
If you have a long layover, want to visit the lounge and want to visit the city -> HKG normally does not allow passengers to leave the airside area!

FRA is also bad:
Even today I get lost.
Examples: 1B Non-Schengen airside to 1Z Non-Schengen airside ---> its not easy to figure out (esp. finding a way without having to clear security again).
Or 1B Non-Schengen airside to 1C Non-Schengen airside ---> tough, tough!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
A not so obvious one:
Transfer between LHR T5B and T5C. We had to wait for 12 min for that stupid people mover. 12 minutes! If airports install people movers it should go every 3 mins at least.
Of course, there is a walkway, which I am happy to use after that experience.
What su*** at LHR is a landside terminal transfer, esp. between T5 and T4.
You can take the tube and transfer at Hatton Cross. Or you take some bus, which I could not find clear information on the internet.

Another one is CGN:
T1 and T2 are side-by-side. If you want to transfer you need to exit to landside and reclear security. Why dont they just build a little walkway between T1 and T2?

Another complaint I have with HKG:
If you have a long layover, want to visit the lounge and want to visit the city -> HKG normally does not allow passengers to leave the airside area!

FRA is also bad:
Even today I get lost.
Examples: 1B Non-Schengen airside to 1Z Non-Schengen airside ---> its not easy to figure out (esp. finding a way without having to clear security again).
Or 1B Non-Schengen airside to 1C Non-Schengen airside ---> tough, tough!
At HKG - why not just exit thru immigration if you have a long layover? Can then either pay to store your bags or if you have access to the Cathay arrivals lounge.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:11 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
FWIW, I find Changi to be hugely overrated, and I avoid it where I can. While not a third-world hellhole like some of the airports discussed in this thread, Changi IS a very poor airport to connect under some circumstances.

Arriving on low-cost carriers from some countries, you have to clear ARRIVAL SECURITY. To clarify for those who haven't done it, this is right after you leave the plane, before you're allowed to enter the terminal. Yes, other airports require clearing security for connections, but SIN does that, in addition -- security for all departing flights takes place at the gate. IOW, if your plane is selected for arrival security, you will clear security not once, but TWICE during the connection (in addition to security at the original departure airport). An extreme annoyance, which afaik Singapore is the only airport in the world to put travelers through.

Add to that that immigration and cab lines can be unacceptably long (even though not at issue for connections), that the stupid at-gate security screening (and inaccurate monitors) reduce time spent at the lounge and make it impossible to bring water on board, that walks can be lengthy, that not everybody is a fan of the shopping mall atmosphere, and you have plenty of reasons to give the place a miss.

That's not really true. I have gone through security twice at Doha. Once upon arrival in the transit security area, and then again when I went to enter the gate area.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:44 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tomhuber2003
LAX since there are few chances to go inter-terminal without leaving security.
In fairness, the south side terminal complex is connected via an underground tunnel. You can walk between Terminals 4 through 8 and stay in a secured area.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:17 pm

I didn't find Manila transfer that bad. My worst was a midnight terminal transfer at Beijing. Never again.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
At HKG - why not just exit thru immigration if you have a long layover? Can then either pay to store your bags or if you have access to the Cathay arrivals lounge.
A Cathay Pacific arrival lounge is useless when arriving on a Star Alliance carrier.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Worst terminal to terminal transfer?

LHR: must reclear security, long bus rides, long lines, slow workers

LAX T4 - American Eagle terminal: long wait for a crowded bus ride

JFK, PEK: confusing signage

MSP: looooooong walks

Any international flight to another international flight transfer (ie DFW-NRT-TPE, LAX-LHR-DUB): must reclear security at the stopover airport
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: LH HON
I'd rather re-clear security at NRT than transferring at LHR at any given time. NRT is simple, painless and effective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.