Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

More than A Dozen Reasons Why Investing in Airlines Belongs in the Too Hard Pile

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More than A Dozen Reasons Why Investing in Airlines Belongs in the Too Hard Pile

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G

Interesting article about the merits of investing in the air industry, with thoughts from Munger of Berkshire Hathaway.

http://25iq.com/2016/01/16/more-than...too-hard-pile/
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't it Richard Branson who said that the best way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire and start an airline?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
another version -- not sure of the source -- is that the best way to leave the airline business with $1M is to start with $100M
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Also the old standard "if you want to make a small fortune in ___, first, start with a large fortune..."
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
"Airline pilot unions are really tough. It’s interesting to see people paid as well as airline pilots to have such a tough union."

I liked this sentence. I've always thought of unions as necessary to protect the interests of the blue collar, minimum wage worker who isn't educated / knowledgeable / capable enough to protect him/herself; not the $200-$300k per annum captain.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:02 pm
Suspended

I disagree with the notion that it is too hard to invest in airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.