Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buying refundable ticket during New year period

Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I need to travel from Toronto to San Jose, California on Jan 2nd as I have to start my internship on Jan 4th Monday. I got my J1 visa approved today but the officer said I can get my passport in two to three weeks time. She also mentioned that I can buy refundable or ticket that I can change the dates. For the above travel of one way, presently it costs me around $510. If it is week-after or in off-peak period, it's around $250. I am student and can not afford too much. What are the options do I have.
1. I can buy it once I have the visa (let's say I get it on Dec 28th). Then I have to buy a ticket which I have to fly in 4 days time. By the time, the ticker price would be skyrocket.
2. Buy a refundable or flexible date (any tickets available like that?) ticket now. But it will be more than $510 to cover the refund option. Which website suitable for it?
3. Buy any travel insurance policy to cover myself?
Thanks-in-advance for the help.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

I always buy non-refundable tickets when I'm after savings. The occasional losses when one becomes worthless (or worth very little, in terms of credit toward a future flight minus change fees) are tiny compared to the amount I save over time.

Your willingness to make this bet may vary, but that's one data point.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Many tickets are changeable for a fee and sometimes fee+fare difference which can really add up. Right now of the airlines that I know of (not familiar with Westjet and a few other airlines policies) SouthWest has the most friendly policies in regards to changing the date. They do not fly out of YYZ or YTZ but they do fly out of BUF which isn't that far. I used to fly out of YYZ to London when I went to University in Buffalo and it's an easy trip.

Something else to consider is that sometimes it's cheaper to buy a return ticket instead of 1 way and either using the return for a visit home or just not using it at all.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: United 1K,CX GOLD,SPG GOLD, Club Carlson GOLD, Accor PLAT, Amex PLAT

A totally free to change/cancel ticket like you're after on AC to SFO showing ~$1800 one way on that date.

You're likely better off buying the cheaper ticket and eating a change fee/hoping there's availability on what you want to change to.

Alternatively, anyone in your family have some points/miles? May be helpful in this situation.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username27
Hi, I need to travel from Toronto to San Jose, California on Jan 2nd as I have to start my internship on Jan 4th Monday. I got my J1 visa approved today but the officer said I can get my passport in two to three weeks time. She also mentioned that I can buy refundable or ticket that I can change the dates. For the above travel of one way, presently it costs me around $510. If it is week-after or in off-peak period, it's around $250. I am student and can not afford too much. What are the options do I have.
1. I can buy it once I have the visa (let's say I get it on Dec 28th). Then I have to buy a ticket which I have to fly in 4 days time. By the time, the ticker price would be skyrocket.
2. Buy a refundable or flexible date (any tickets available like that?) ticket now. But it will be more than $510 to cover the refund option. Which website suitable for it?
3. Buy any travel insurance policy to cover myself?
Thanks-in-advance for the help.
Just an FYI - San Francisco is not terribly far from San Jose (I fly into and out of either San Francisco or San Jose depending on schedule / price when I go to San Jose) and at the moment on the 2nd Jan it is showing up as $377 one way to San Francisco with American.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OAK is less convenient, but tends to have cheap flights too. There's a shuttle to a BART station and then you're in the BART system, just as if you had started at SFO, although the travel time between the two airports would probably be about an hour.

In comparing fares into different airports, be sure to check the cost and logistics of transportation from the airport to your specific destination (apartment?) in San Jose.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hagan73
A totally free to change/cancel ticket like you're after on AC to SFO showing ~$1800 one way on that date.

You're likely better off buying the cheaper ticket and eating a change fee/hoping there's availability on what you want to change to.

Alternatively, anyone in your family have some points/miles? May be helpful in this situation.
I have Aventura gold card points 29000 which is worth of CAD $290. I thought I can use it for purchasing the ticket. But for that I have to buy the ticket from CIBCrewards website. Twp days ago the lowest fare was $510 and today it is $620.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OAK is less convenient, but tends to have cheap flights too. There's a shuttle to a BART station and then you're in the BART system, just as if you had started at SFO, although the travel time between the two airports would probably be about an hour.

In comparing fares into different airports, be sure to check the cost and logistics of transportation from the airport to your specific destination (apartment?) in San Jose.
I totally forgot that. Will do.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
Just an FYI - San Francisco is not terribly far from San Jose (I fly into and out of either San Francisco or San Jose depending on schedule / price when I go to San Jose) and at the moment on the 2nd Jan it is showing up as $377 one way to San Francisco with American.
Looking at this option. For me it shows $840 as the lowest in American.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hagan73

Well, If I miss Jan 2nd I will travel on Jan 9th. For that date it shows $270 and I am pretty sure that will be lower than Jan 2nd travel even if I book it around Jan first week. Which airlines, has lowest penalty for changing the ticket dates?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.