Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Long-haul F Service compared to other experiences in life

Long-haul F Service compared to other experiences in life

Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Example: SIN-LHR is us$20k return (for 2 pax), 28hrs flight time.

For the same money I don't see how this can be a better experience than, say, 4 nights at a 1-bedroom suite in Bvlgari Hotel Knightsbridge. With money left over for a couple of dinners at 3-starred restaurants to boot.

However, if we talk about F as an comparison to the base experience then I can sort of see where OP's multi millionaire friend is coming from.

In any 5-star hotel, the base room is already very comfortable. You have a huge fluffy comfy bed, power showers, air conditioning, etc. Upgrading to a suite is nice, but not exceedingly so.

Whereas a private F suite with sliding doors, a lie-flat bed, 5-course dining and a pretty flight attendant calling you by name and encouraging you to drink more champagne, compared to a chair in Y where you can't even sleep properly cos your head keeps dropping forward? Huge, huge difference.

Last edited by shuigao; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:31 am
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
It just makes getting from point A to point B more comfortable and lets you get there well rested. Sitting in an F suite, watching movies and eating is like spending a lazy Sunday on the couch watching TV (except you end up on the other side of the world). It's not amazing in itself.
100%
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by lighthand
An old friend of mine who's a millionaire (not mega), almost always travels Y or at most J. I asked him about this once, which his reply really got me thinking.

"I drop my usual charity cheque once a month, and every time I'm tempted to fly F, I can't help but think maybe next months cheque can be a little more if I fly Y or J."

Not throwing stones at anyone who fly F, and everyone is entitled to their own values. But it was an interesting point of view about flying.
I know a couple with lots of money. Full time house keeper, gardener and staff. She travels in F, drops 10k on clothes at a time and buys shoes by the dozens. However, her husband travels in economy when travelling alone and says he doesn't mind it!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Actually that's "part of the deal" for some people up front. Myself, I particularly enjoy it when there has been a person that annoyed me at the gate for some reason (loud music, pushing in front of the line, DYKWIA) and I board first and watch him drop his head and shuffle back to the cattle section of the plane.
Yes I really enjoy this aspect as well. Many probably consider it petty but I don't care. It gives me great pleasure.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I know a couple with lots of money. Full time house keeper, gardener and staff. She travels in F, drops 10k on clothes at a time and buys shoes by the dozens. However, her husband travels in economy when travelling alone and says he doesn't mind it!
Different stokes for different folks.

Like I said the comment was not to throw stones at anyone. Just interesting to see different view points from those who can afford it.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yes I really enjoy this aspect as well. Many probably consider it petty but I don't care. It gives me great pleasure.
"That's right, peasant! Keep marching!"

Problem with that mindset is that on the rare occasion (IRROPS or something) that I'm not in First I almost feel like explaining as I walk through First Class "I really am a First Class passenger. Plane was too full. I'm not a peasant. Don't look at me that way."
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Problem with that mindset is that on the rare occasion (IRROPS or something) that I'm not in First I almost feel like explaining as I walk through First Class "I really am a First Class passenger. Plane was too full. I'm not a peasant. Don't look at me that way."
Lol ... I'd have to explain to the first class cabin that the airline didn't make any F saver awards available so I'm stuck in coach.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold

LOL!!! I just had that experience when I flew DL Y to DEN. Glad someone else feels the same.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by shuigao
In any 5-star hotel, the base room is already very comfortable.
There are a ton of "5-star" hotels that apparently did not receive this memo.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:19 am

Long-haul F is unique as it's the only experience that gives me both (some) privacy and anonymity, whatever-you-need service, and freedom from all other responsibilities. At home, there's always something I could be doing -- work, cleaning, etc. At my destination, if it's a vacation, the clock is ticking so I try to cram in as much activity as I can. Even at an all-inclusive, where I did feel relaxed, I was thinking, What time is dinner? Should I tip now or later? Do I have to talk to the people next to me?

On a plane in F all there is to do is be comfortable, enjoy the service and the view, and watch movies or read at leisure. I can get up when I want and don't have to talk to anyone. It's the only place I get to do that. For that reason, I find it worth the miles (but probably never the cash). It's not necessarily better than other experiences in life, but it gives me a brief calmness and freedom I can't get elsewhere.

That said, it is just a means to a destination, and, having enjoyed it more than once, if I were ever forced to choose an F flight or an activity on land or water that I really wanted to do, I'd pick the latter.

Seth
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I think it’s rather obvious that no reasonable person – even here at Flyertalk - is going to rate a few hours of inflight bliss over more meaningful earthbound experiences, dozens of which easily come to mind before I’d submit spending a few hours in international First Class.

That said, I think it is the uniqueness of the environment in which we are enjoying those services that makes international caliber First Class travel special enough to warrant the attention it does amongst so many here at Flyertalk and thus - for some perhaps - a ranking amongst their most treasured life experiences.

I would hope nobody here would ever feel embarrassed for “gushing” over the wonderful services they’ve received while comfortably ensconced in a $120,000 state of the art suite cruising serenely above this beautiful blueish-green orb we spend 99% of our lives living upon. For most reasonable people - especially here at Flyertalk - that's a pretty special experience, one far more impressive than merely getting from A to B, especially if you've done so predominantly in Economy or Business Class.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a bit sad toward those poor pragmatics for whom the pleasures of a top quality First Class service have long since been reduced to merely “expected”. I've logged almost 5 million miles and I'm not ashamed to say that for me the prospect of a flight in international First Class aboard the likes of Etihad, Singapore, Swiss et al is still a big thrill.

Note: "Gushing" can be interpreted as anything from an excited recounting of your inflight experience over dinner to taking pictures of your lounge, seat, meal etc. to submitting trip reports.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I think it’s rather obvious that no reasonable person – even here at Flyertalk - is going to rate a few hours of inflight bliss over more meaningful earthbound experiences, dozens of which easily come to mind before I’d submit spending a few hours in international First Class.

That said, I think it is the uniqueness of the environment in which we are enjoying those services that makes international caliber First Class travel special enough to warrant the attention it does amongst so many here at Flyertalk and thus - for some perhaps - a ranking amongst their most treasured life experiences.

I would hope nobody here would ever feel embarrassed for “gushing” over the wonderful services they’ve received while comfortably ensconced in a $120,000 state of the art suite cruising serenely above this beautiful blueish-green orb we spend 99% of our lives living upon. For most reasonable people - especially here at Flyertalk - that's a pretty special experience, one far more impressive than merely getting from A to B, especially if you've done so predominantly in Economy or Business Class.

On the other hand, I can't help but feel a bit sad toward those poor pragmatics for whom the pleasures of a top quality First Class service have long since been reduced to merely “expected”. I've logged almost 5 million miles and I'm not ashamed to say that for me the prospect of a flight in international First Class aboard the likes of Etihad, Singapore, Swiss et al is still a big thrill.

Note: "Gushing" can be interpreted as anything from an excited recounting of your inflight experience over dinner to taking pictures of your lounge, seat, meal etc. to submitting trip reports.
Well said.

IFC is an enjoyable experience that I will probably never pay for on my own dime. If I wasn't able to churn my way into long-haul F, I'd take the same trips and fly coach or hope for a business class sale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.