Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

How much time do you waste trying to find the lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much time do you waste trying to find the lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Personally I usually look it up first if I'm going to an airport I don't know.

So I have a general idea where I'm going when I get there. I don't recall ever having a really hard time, other than when looking for the Global First Lounge at ORD which I never ended up finding because I was told it was closed.

I spent maybe 5 minutes the other day at SJO, but that was more because my gate was at one end and the lounge at the complete other end.

Lastly, I went to 3-4 lounges at LAX while killing time at the end of a trip and tookmaybe 10-20 minutes to walk to, find, get in to the Star Alliance INTL Lounge in the Tom Bradley Terminal. I wasn't flying out of there so I had to explain to each person I saw that I was just going to the lounge...totally fine, just time consuming. Even the lounge agent took a couple minutes to let me in. Absolutely fantastic lounge though, well worth the effort if you've got time, certainly kills the AC MLL and the UA Club. That outdoor terrace is brilliant.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by milepig
I suspect this is on purpose. Reminds me of my first trip to Harvard. There were no signs anywhere. I finally asked about the lack and the response was "this is Harvard, if you don't know where you're going you don't belong here."
Once took a date to a football game at the Harvard stadium. She was on the Harvard staff, so she thought she knew the campus pretty well, but she had never heard of where we were supposed to pick up our tickets: Wilke Hall. As an MIT graduate, though, I had no trouble seeing the big sign for the Will Call window.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Efrem
Once took a date to a football game at the Harvard stadium. She was on the Harvard staff, so she thought she knew the campus pretty well, but she had never heard of where we were supposed to pick up our tickets: Wilke Hall. As an MIT graduate, though, I had no trouble seeing the big sign for the Will Call window.
But did you "pahk the cah in the Hahvahd yahd"?

Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
I suspect this is on purpose. Reminds me of my first trip to Harvard. There were no signs anywhere. I finally asked about the lack and the response was "this is Harvard, if you don't know where you're going you don't belong here."
I think my response would have been something like "Well, I was "going" to try to find a restroom but given your response I think I'll be "going" right here. That wall will do just fine. Thanks for your advice. Excuse me."
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
As others have said, ask the airline when you're checking in. Most have a preprinted map they'll give you.
Regardless at which airport I am, while checking in they always tell me (or at least ask me if I know) where the lounge is..
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If going for the first time, part of my pre-trip preparation is to look online for a terminal map.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Great_circle
Regardless at which airport I am, while checking in they always tell me (or at least ask me if I know) where the lounge is..
I find that too.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:13 am

there's so many airport map apps, no excuse nowadays
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Peterpack
there's so many airport map apps, no excuse nowadays
This. You don't even need an app, most airport websites have an easily findable map. I've never had issues finding lounges, even in the "notorious" (according to this thread) HKG. Some airports might be confusing, but it's not exactly hard.

Now actually getting to the lounge can take a while, but that's just a bit of healthy walking.

Last edited by televisor; Jul 30, 2016 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
LHR T5 BA Club World South lounge, I've been to North Lounge a couple of time so I thought I would try South.
I was with my mother who was in a wheelchair it took me 15-20 minutes to find it after passing through security, you had to go down stairs where all the shops are, then walk to the far the of the terminal then take the lift (which I walked right pass it) to go up to the first floor which was the entrance to First Class and then take another lift to Club World.

Last edited by Ace71; Jul 31, 2016 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I have a sneaking suspicion that making lounges hard-to-find prevents walk-ins from passengers that happened to notice the lounge and limits lounge guests to those who use lounges regularly and are willing to find them on the map/be loyal to a particular lounge brand and seek it out. I've always thought that was probably their way of ensuring a more select lounge clientele so that the "undesirables" end up going to Ruby Tuesday instead.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Gateguru combined with Loungebuddy. Some large international terminals have so many lounges that if I did not have Loungebuddy, it would probably not even occur to me to look for some of the lounges for airlines that I don't regularly fly (a Silverkris lounge in SYD for example). (If a lounge is hard to find, I have been trying to drop some directions into comments on Loungebuddy.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.