Walk-Friendly Airport list?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Gamecock
DFW. But you may have a long walk if you have to go to the other side of the airport!
DFW is an odd case. Terminals A,B,C,D are connected by walkways, but terminal E isn't. And the walkways are all airside; there's no way to walk between terminals outside security.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sbm12
A few I can think of off-hand...
  • ATL is all walkable inside security.
  • FRA is walkable, though a tram may be necessary to stay inside security.
ATL may be walkable, but it isn't walk-friendly. It is probably close to 2 miles from the main terminal security checkpoint to walk to the furthest gate.

FRA is incredibly confusing to the unfamiliar, despite looking "friendly" on a map.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

SJC and BOI
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Are we using "terminals" and "concourses" interchangeably? If so I believe these are walkable airside to all gates:

ATL (as noted, though, can be a looooong hike).
SLC (I think)
HNL
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:42 pm

I just did a walk from OKA domestic to international. It's probably 400m on flat ground (which allow you to bring carts to and fro) and they still run a bus...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:39 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I'm not sure I understand this thread. How can any airport "force" you to take a bus or train? You can always walk out the door and walk to the other terminal. It may be far, and there may not be a road, but I don't see why you couldn't do this at any airport.

I have been to dozens of airports, and I can't think of any where you couldn't walk between terminals if you had the energy to do so. There's no reason to design an airport like that.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Basically in almost all European airports you can walk from Terminal to terminal. You might need to go land-side and it might not be a pleasant walk but I'm not aware they will force you to take an airtrain or shuttle bus anywhere.

I guess it makes much more sense to list airports which are an exception to that rule than white-listing...
Between CDG1 and CDG2 there is no walkable path I'm aware of. As well as to CDG 2G. Also some L and M gates at CDG 2E are only accessible by an airside train shuttle.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
I'm not sure I understand this thread. How can any airport "force" you to take a bus or train? You can always walk out the door and walk to the other terminal. It may be far, and there may not be a road, but I don't see why you couldn't do this at any airport.

I have been to dozens of airports, and I can't think of any where you couldn't walk between terminals if you had the energy to do so. There's no reason to design an airport like that.
In some places you would have to walk on a highway that is dangerois and forbidden to pedestrians
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:02 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You wouldn't want to try to get to the Heathrow CTA (Central Terminal Area - T1-3) on foot either. There's a single set of tunnels in and out. You did used to be able to walk down the service tunnel (originally reserved for taxis and cycles, later opened up to private cars) but that's closed off to pedestrians and bikes now.

By contrast, Schiphol has a rather excellent cycle/pedestrian tunnel under the taxiway, to take you down towards Schiphol-Noord and Badhoevedorp.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
ATL may be walkable, but it isn't walk-friendly. It is probably close to 2 miles from the main terminal security checkpoint to walk to the furthest gate.
On a long layover that can be a plus though. I've killed many an hour walking between concourses at ATL. The only thing I dislike about them is that they can get quite hot and muggy during the summer.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:29 am

PHL, sort of. Its one of the longest airports in either the US or the world according to some mag article I read on a recent flight.

It is a nice long walk between A and C. F requires a bus ride.

SJU although its more of a hub spoke design but the end of D to A is a workout.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
SFO is one of the most compact large airports anywhere. Too bad it cannot all be accomplished airside, but it is one loop.
That should improve soon with the linkage of T1 and T2. What will be left is intra-T1 and T1-Int'l connections.

LIS does not have a T1>T2 connection, a bus is required. (Theoretically you can walk along the road, but there are no sidewalks). In fact, T2 is not accessible by foot at all.

MAD T123 are very well connected, but T4 is away from everything. Probably accessible by foot, but I haven't tried.
BCN's two terminals are a few kms apart but theoretically it's possible to walk from one to the other.
LHR obviously is theoretically walkable, practically miles apart (T2 and T3 are well connected).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
PHL, sort of. Its one of the longest airports in either the US or the world according to some mag article I read on a recent flight.

It is a nice long walk between A and C. F requires a bus ride.
F only requires a bus if you wish to stay airside. It is walkable landside.

CLT is walkable. There is no train at all.

And to the OP's question about stairs...I do take the stairs (down atleast) if I check my bag. It is a pain to do stairs with a rollaboard.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Walking through the garage at LAX seems to require at least some short flights of stairs. It can also be confusing. Unless you need to do something like getting between T1 and T8, I prefer to take the path following the sidewalk in front ot TBIT.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A lot of smaller airports are one building or connected buildings, even if different sections aren't connected airside. SYR, MDW, PIT, BDL would fall into this category.

STL too, except for what seems to be a separate terminal for Southwest, which would put STL into the same group as MSP and DTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.