Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airline to fly? Philippine Air or Kuwait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Not sure where to post this, maybe you can help! I am planning a ONE WAY trip from BKK (bangkok) to MNL (manila) and my options are either Philippine Air or Kuwait air. Kuwait has the lowest fare, but not very good reviews. I have flown Philippine Air, and it isn't the greatest either.

Which would you recommend? and why?

Thanks for your replies!
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Why are those your only options?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:27 am

Kuwait Air is the worst airline I have ever experienced. So bad it was funny. Footrest broken, IFE broken. Delayed 12 hours with no explanation or compensation. During the flight, my wife asked for more tea after dinner. The flight attendant said no. We laughed, thinking that he was kidding. A while later, he walked by, and my wife said, "Excuse me. I asked for more tea." He responded, "And I told you NO!".
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Ouch!

Originally Posted by Mr. Breakfast
Kuwait Air is the worst airline I have ever experienced. So bad it was funny. Footrest broken, IFE broken. Delayed 12 hours with no explanation or compensation. During the flight, my wife asked for more tea after dinner. The flight attendant said no. We laughed, thinking that he was kidding. A while later, he walked by, and my wife said, "Excuse me. I asked for more tea." He responded, "And I told you NO!".
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. On skytrax there were some pretty harsh reviews on Kuwait. Kuwait and Philippine air have the lowest fares and shortest flying time, that is why those choices.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:35 am

PA without a doubt. Several flights a day so less problems with delays, etc.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, that is helpful! Can't always count on Skytrax, 1 glowing review (recent) and 5 or 6 negatives.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:05 pm

With such a FA, you don't need the IFE anymore
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:06 pm

Wow! How long ago was this? And in what cabin? Just wondering.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by hot2trot
my options are either Philippine Air or Kuwait air.
there's also Cebu Pacific, Thai, Malaysia Airlines, Singapore, Cathay Pacific, Vietnam Airlines
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:36 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

I flew Philippine Airlines last April from HKG to MNL and couldn't fault them. Nice new A330, blue leather seats, OK food, plentiful Filipino San Miguel. On time. Cost me $99 for a full service airline.

They are also maintained by Lufthansa Technik and although I am no expert on MNL terminals does Philippine Airlines not fly into the least crappy one? Was certainly a better airport experience than my subsequent flight on United.

I'd go so far to say I wish they'd join one world.

Mabuhay Miles not worth collecting though

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Oct 4, 2015 at 2:28 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I find it hard to believe they're cheaper than Cebu Pacific

But anyway, I would fly PR over Kuwait as well.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all! I have decided to skip Manila and fly straight to LAX. NOW, I am trying to decide to fly BKK to HNL and stop for a week, or just suck it up and fly BKK to LAX. (I really don't like long flights, prefer to break it up) Flying business class for the longer portion, it is still more expensive to stop in Hawaii. The lowest fare from HI to CA is now $300, and the fares from BKK are only a few hundred dollars difference. What is different is the airlines that show up.

Flying BKK to LAX, China Airlines is hands down the cheapest at $1543. My concern is flying through Taipei. Lots of reviews complain about flights being delayed there - for HOURS!!!. Any comments on China Airlines?
JAL is $2150 through Japan.

Last edited by hot2trot; Oct 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by hot2trot
Thanks all! I have decided to skip Manila and fly straight to LAX. NOW, I am trying to decide to fly BKK to HNL and stop for a week, or just suck it up and fly BKK to LAX. (I really don't like long flights, prefer to break it up) Flying business class for the longer portion, it is still more expensive to stop in Hawaii. The lowest fare from HI to CA is now $300, and the fares from BKK are only a few hundred dollars difference. What is different is the airlines that show up.

Flying BKK to LAX, China Airlines is hands down the cheapest at $1543. My concern is flying through Taipei. Lots of reviews complain about flights being delayed there - for HOURS!!!. Any comments on China Airlines?
JAL is $2150 through Japan.
Or 55K AA miles, if you can find J award availability on some combination of AA/CX/JL/RJ. When AA has a sale on miles, that can be a great way to fly long-haul in premium cabins.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Good point, but I cleaned out my FF acct on AA for a recent flight to Spain! I have been flying a lot of smaller airlines all around the world so they don't contribute to one FF account, as a result I don't have a lot of FF miles with anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.