Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying while studying Uni

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Flying while studying Uni

I was wondering if it's advisable to fly during Uni? I'm going to be studying Accounting at RMIT, and from past students, it doesn't sound like there's many contact hours. All I need to achieve is a pass for the course and I'll be satisfied. As a new successful entrepreneur do you think I could fly on a weekly basis while studying Uni. I don't mean during the breaks, I mean during the time I should be at Uni. A majority of the trips will only lasts 2-3 days.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Only you can decide how much time you need to put into your course to pass. We don't know how clever, efficient, ambitious, or hard-working you are. Whether you are flying or basketweaving in your downtime is not really relevant. Welcome to FT, Aria48!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:13 am

Agreed, as long as you get the work done and there's no indication on the syllabus that you're needed on any unusual dates, it should be fine; your time is yours to manage. The MIT Blackjack Team spent all their weekends in Las Vegas...

Seth
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Googling RMIT, the first one I come up with is in Melbourne.

I can say this: if I was ever studying there for a year, I'd probably explore the hell out of Australia, New Zealand, and anywhere else I could get to in a long weekend. @:-) The only reason I *wouldn't* travel (every now and then) is because Melbourne itself is a pretty cool city.

You're asking Flyertalkers here, so we're probably going to err on the side of "travel!!" Whether that's right for you or your academic success, I have no idea.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You can't really excel at travel, school and being an entrepreneur simultaneously. You're going to have to set some priorities. I'm assuming you're young, so at least you can leave sleeping a low priority.

Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, I didn't even read the entrepreneur part. That by itself can turn into 100 hours a week, depending on what you're doing.

I was mainly thinking uni + travel. Arrange your schedule with no Friday classes (or worse case a Friday morning one) and you can work in a lot of travel if you choose. The main "cost" would be if the university in question has a lot of other activities (social, sports, arts, clubs, etc.) that take place on weekends: then your travels could result in your having a shallower connection to your school. In some places this matters a lot; others not at all.

I spent a year in the UK and did a lot of weekend travel (since I'd never been to the UK before that year), but also enough weekends on campus that I felt like I "connected" just fine. Doesn't have to be all or nothing...

But starting a business would be a different animal entirely.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
No, doesn't sound like you could to me.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
So you don't want to really know everything about your course/industry... you just want to pass with 51% knowledge or whatever a pass is. Hmm
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
It's certainly possible if you can manage the schedule. I attend a top tier US university, am an entrepreneur working on my own business, and on top of that manage to squeeze in a decent amount of non-holiday travel by not scheduling any classes on Fridays. As always YMMV and you're much better off making this assessment for yourself after spending some time living your daily routine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.