Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moral Q: Abandoning coworker?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Moral Q: Abandoning coworker?

Okay, so I see Hurricane Jaoquin is possibly going to hit the East coast of the US next week as maybe a strong Cat2 or moderate Cat3. I've already changed my flight routings so my connection flights won't be anywhere ares which may be impacted by the storm.

I have coworkers who will be flying in a few days after I get in. As scheduled, I believe they're connecting through JFK or LGA. I was in NYC when Sandy hit and it took a good week to get out and I ended up driving to Hartford and landing in Orlando and driving to Tampa.

Now the moral dilemma: Do I bother to tell them to change their flights? To be honest, I'd rather not have them with me. They're not essential to the meetings and I don't want to have to drive them all around the city while they're there. (Driving a rental car is beneath them.) I should point out that these same coworkers were throwing a major fit that I was stuck in NYC after Sandy and were demanding that I drive from NYC->Florida since the airports were closed. I said hell no.

So oracle of wisdom, what would you do?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I wouldn't bother telling them unless I absolutely had to. They sound rather high maintenance to me.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you their supervisor? If not, I can't imagine it's your responsibility to tell them what to do relative to travel plans.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I was about to say, "maybe you should..." until I got to the last bit about demanding that you drive to FL after Sandy.

They're grownups, they can deal. And you are acting on your own (educated) speculation anyway, no hard info to present.

To each their own, I say.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I would tell them only if I had a professional reason to want them to be there, as in I'm a sales rep for a computer company and they're my technical backup. Since that's not the case, and (I assume) you are neither their mother nor their travel agent, they're big boys and girls who can take care of their own travel arrangements. Maybe this will teach them a useful lesson.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
...and the horse they rode in on.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Sometimes "everyone for themselves" is the right way to go. I was assigned to a project in Boston when Sandy hit and made my own decision not to go. The PM told us we needed to be there regardless of the storm and the rest of the team wound up stuck in a hotel without power for three days...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:44 pm

In the unlikely event Jaoquin does not affect flights too much in the NE, they would blame you for making them change their reservations.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If they aren't aware enough of it themselves and you aren't their supervisor, I wouldn't say a thing.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I believe in helping colleagues but I draw the line with those who not only lack a clue but resist accepting one when offered. After their behavior toward you around Hurricane Sandy it's evident they're in the latter category. I would leave them to figure it out themselves.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:35 pm

I think you're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking yourself is "why the hell am I still working here and with these awful people"? Anyone who is beneath driving a rental is not someone I want to spend any time with.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Given the news about Joaquin intensifying (and ongoing storms even before the hurricane) - any ideas when airlines will begin announcing flight changes? Currently scheduled to fly in on a regional Thurs eve to DCA and leave Sat evening (again, on a regional) -- beginning to think that's prob. unwise, already itching to change my flights. Capital weather gang is already putting up warnings about floodings happening on Saturday in the DC region.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
They're not essential to the meetings...
Then why are they even going?

I'd tell my own coworkers, but we typically all make travel plans independently, and often have slightly different schedule when we have to be at a remote location or back at home, so the only driving of other people typically is to all go out for lunch. And sometimes if a critical person is missing, work is hung up. Plus I actually like most of them.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
In the unlikely event Jaoquin does not affect flights too much in the NE, they would blame you for making them change their reservations.
Very good point -- the coworker's in OP's story sound like they would do such a thing! By informing your coworkers, if things go sour, you run the risk of them placing new blame on you... just avoid that situation in the first place.

There are some people in the world you go above and beyond for... from the sound of it, your coworkers definitely aren't among them.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
I think you're asking the wrong question. The question you should be asking yourself is "why the hell am I still working here and with these awful people"?
Funny you say that... I've started looking for a different job as of last week. Although my position with this company is very stable, I've had enough and want out. I'm a very patient person, but these people are just ridiculous.

BTW, I'm going to let them figure it out on their own... 1) I'm hoping they don't make it or get delayed. 2) IAD_flyer's probably right -- they'll complain if I change their reservations.

Last edited by KRSW; Oct 1, 2015 at 1:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.