Horrible Experience with Germanwings

Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Horrible Experience with Germanwings

We recently had a terrible experience with a Germanwings Rail & Fly ticket due to no fault of our own. We wound up stuck in Germany for 4 days/3 nights and Germanwings would not help us. We even walked into their headquarters in Cologne asking to speak to someone regarding a customer service issue. I said to the receptionist, I realize this is probably rare for you, a frustrated customer walking in off the street asking to speak with someone and she replied that it was not. I cannot find any emails for their executives online and would really like my voice to be heard. Does anyone have an email address for Thomas Winkelmann? Thank you.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What exactly is the issue?

If you provide the facts, there are many here who can provide you useful advice as to what has (and has not worked) for them. Generally speaking, writing letters to senior executives is a pointless waste of time as it simply delays the complaint getting to the people who actually look at them. But, perhaps not.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:07 am

Forget about it. You will get no personal contact to Senior Execs. They will just pass it down to customer services.

Contact the official customer services team, claim compensation and reimbursement of costs incurred to you.

Keep that mail short and precise to the point.

Whining, blaming, telling long stories or even worse threatening to never fly GermanWings, LH or affiliated airlines will do you no good. More the opposite...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:10 am

try using twitter and/or fb? that may yield results.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:16 am
Suspended

Claim compensation? For what? We don't even know what it is that has OP so upset. That is why posts which simple reproach, but provide no facts are of little value, including to the OP.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by iaustin
We recently had a terrible experience with a Germanwings Rail & Fly ticket due to no fault of our own. We wound up stuck in Germany for 4 days/3 nights and Germanwings would not help us.
What was the issue?

Train, Plane, Other..?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:58 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is specific to Germanwings, please follow as the thread moves to the Lufthansa Group forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Claim compensation? For what? We don't even know what it is that has OP so upset. That is why posts which simple reproach, but provide no facts are of little value, including to the OP.
Being stuck in Germany for 4 days most probably qualifies for EU 261 compensation (assuming thy had a valid ticket).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by fassy
Being stuck in Germany for 4 days most probably qualifies for EU 261 compensation (assuming thy had a valid ticket).
Even if you missed a train or had a flat tire on the way? There's really no details in the post that started this thread to determine what the issue is, let alone if compensation is due.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fassy
Seriously?

1. Car broke down on the way to the airport, through no fault of OP's.
2. Wrong paperwork and denied boarding.
3. Missed cut off for check-in.

Next available was 4 days later.

But, you suggest that EC 261/2004 would grant compensation.

I say, OP needs to provide facts and then people can provide suggestions.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:36 pm

As the OP specifically mentions it was a problem with a rail&fly ticket that lead to being stranded in Germany for 4 days, my guess is their train was late!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by 8420PR
As the OP specifically mentions it was a problem with a rail&fly ticket that lead to being stranded in Germany for 4 days, my guess is their train was late!
I feel this is a good question in its own right, mods please split off if you wish: I have been sold BRU-CDG/AMS-XXX tickets where BRU was actually ZYR, so the first segment was on a train. Both times the trains were canceled and I ended up driving (and in a rush).

Had I missed the check-in deadline, would the airline had taken care of me? I have my doubts but I wonder if someone has direct experience.

Needless to say, I now avoid those connections.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by iaustin
We recently had a terrible experience ..<snip> ..stuck in Germany for 4 days/3 nights and Germanwings would not help us.
How is that terrible? Imagine if you were stuck in the UK for a week, now that would beg for empathy of your fellow travellers.
We even walked into their headquarters in Cologne..
Why not just walk to the destination? Sounds like a wiser use of your time.
Originally Posted by Often1
Seriously?

1. Car broke down on the way to the airport, through no fault of OP's.
2. Wrong paperwork and denied boarding.
3. Missed cut off for check-in...
OP specified that it was due to no fault of his own ... I guess that rules out all of the above. Unless he uses a very liberal reading of 'fault'.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Had I missed the check-in deadline, would the airline had taken care of me? I have my doubts but I wonder if someone has direct experience.
In Germany, if the train is booked as a LH flight number (AirRail) then you are protected against delays or cancellations. If the train is booked as a rail&fly ticket, then you are solely responsible to make sure you get to the airport on time.

This makes sense, as with AirRail, LH is only offering certain trains with a set connecting time, and boarding cards are issued for the train journey. For Rail&Fly, the airline has no control over which train the passenger takes.

Germanwings prints the below on Rail&Fly tickets:
When choosing your connection, you must ensure that even in the event of a delay you will arrive at the departure airport at least two hours before departure. All passengers are responsible for ensuring that they reach the airport on time. Germanwings/Eurowings accepts no liability for flights missed due to delayed buses or trains.
Rail&Fly is great value though, and I have used many times for Germanwings, Tuifly and Condor flights.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 8420PR
..Rail&Fly is great value though, and I have used many times for Germanwings, Tuifly and Condor flights.
So if the train doesn't deliver you to the airport in time, is The Bahn liable in shape or form for your missed check in deadline?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.