Wiki Posts
Search

Fling Marriage Proposal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Fling Marriage Proposal

Hello Flyertalk!
I'm planning for a big proposal but need some advice. My girlfriend and I are huge fans of Boeing, and so I'd like to propose mile high on a Boeing (after getting the flight attendant's permission well beforehand of course!)

My stumper for right now is what flight? I'd prefer to be on a newer aircraft (on the order of 737-800/900, 747-800, 777x, or a 787-900). I'd certainly prefer the 87, but that's mainly international, so I'm not banking on it.

My criteria is the following:
I'm willing to fly anywhere domestically (USA) in order to start the flight.
I'd also like to end somewhere nice (somewhere we can celebrate for the weekend, preferably in the USA).
Price/layover/schedule is secondary.

Is there anywhere in which I can find what routes fly the newer Boeing aircraft? Does anyone have suggestions on destinations? (I'm originating in the North East).

Last edited by disco243; Sep 8, 2015 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:49 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Here’s three domestic 787 routes I was able to find –.nothing too glamorous I’m afraid:
United 1614 IAH-SFO
United 1126 IAH-DEN
American 2332 DFW-ORD

Alaska flies a lot of 737-800s and -900s – any of their transcon routes are on one of those planes, as well as anything to Hawaii (although that may be a bit far from you.

This Delta thread might also be of use: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-thread-2.html

Last edited by tonei; Sep 2, 2015 at 1:55 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I found an AA DFW-LAX 787 flight sometime in November (9pm-ish), but it may have been a one-off.

There's CX's JFK-YVR flight, operated by 77W.

You could also visit the Museum of Flight in Seattle and propose on the 787 on display on the museum grounds.

Or book a tour at the factory tour in Everett.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Fling Proposal

there us also a den - iah return flight.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Fling Marriage Proposal

Sorry to be Dan Downer but please refrain from proposing in front of a cabin full of people. I really don't care to be honest (not directed at you personally but all those who make public proposals) nor do I want to be bothered.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by disco243
Hello Flyertalk!
I'm planning for a big proposal but need some advice. My girlfriend and I are huge fans of Boeing, and so I'd like to propose mile high on a Boeing (after getting the flight attendant's permission well beforehand of course!)
you won't need permission, just make sure that the TSA doesn't get you to take the ring out
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
The AA 787s from DFW-ORD are new (delivered this year) and have an amazing J cabin. Tickets are around $200 ow in J, the only downside is that the flight's only 2h30!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sorry to be Dan Downer but please refrain from proposing in front of a cabin full of people. I really don't care to be honest (not directed at you personally but all those who make public proposals) nor do I want to be bothered.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I'd think it was cute and would even be willing to assist the guy if he asked - provided that the proposal doesn't cause excessive disruption, such as interrupting meal/beverage service or nap time. I'd also be pretty annoyed if a dancing flash mob suddenly filled the aisles or brutally loud music flooded the cabin.

Aside from that, I'd be entertained by some guy making a public proposal. But maybe I'm one of those old-fashioned kinds of men who thinks guys should make extra effort on behalf of the women they love.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:38 am

What if she said no? Makes the rest of the flight and trip awkward...no?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I can see how strangers may not wish to be involved in the proposal. Being asked to play a part, even if by simply being asked to stop whatever you were normally doing for a few minutes, could easily be bothersome. But to object to it happening in your vicinity? That seems churlish. Take a few seconds out of your day to look up and share someone else's happiness.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Quote:

I can see how strangers may not wish to be involved in the proposal. Being asked to play a part, even if by simply being asked to stop whatever you were normally doing for a few minutes, could easily be bothersome. But to object to it happening in your vicinity? That seems churlish. Take a few seconds out of your day to look up and share someone else's happiness.
Meh. No thanks. I'm in an enclosed tin tube and am forced to watch.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by rob0225
What if she said no? Makes the rest of the flight and trip awkward...no?
+1

Some years ago I was in Union Square and some dude hired a band, got down on his knees and she wasn't expecting it. And she didn't say YES. And the band didn't know what to do - they just continued to play celebratory music.

Long awkwardness for the remaining part of the flight if she doesn't jump for joy. Good Luck!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I'd think it was cute and would even be willing to assist the guy if he asked - provided that the proposal doesn't cause excessive disruption, such as interrupting meal/beverage service or nap time. I'd also be pretty annoyed if a dancing flash mob suddenly filled the aisles or brutally loud music flooded the cabin.

Aside from that, I'd be entertained by some guy making a public proposal. But maybe I'm one of those old-fashioned kinds of men who thinks guys should make extra effort on behalf of the women they love.
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Meh. No thanks. I'm in an enclosed tin tube and am forced to watch.
Count me as one of those who has no interest in being party to a stranger's wedding proposal. So if you're planning to stay in your seat, lean over and ask her to marry you -- in a way that doesn't bother any other passengers -- that's fine. But anything more elaborate draws other into your personal business, and that's not something other passengers necessarily want.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't mind if you do it on my flight, but you should be 100% certain she'll say yes... AND be sure in advance that she is OK with having one of the most intimate / important / consequential moments of her life turned into a public display for a captive audience of total (and some perhaps angry / disdainful, if these thread comments matter) strangers. I think this is rarely a good idea, whether you propose on an airplane in flight, at center court during an NBA halftime on the Jumbotron, on the TODAY show plaza, or whatever. IME most women view a proposal as a private event; the public celebration comes later.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Here's another thing... unless you're in an F or J suite, you're going to be limited to proposing in one of these places:

- In the aisle
- At the bulkhead row
- In the emergency exit row
- In the galley
- Next to a lav

I don't find any of those particularly romantic. Maybe on a 787 in the arched entryway between 2L/2R? Though at least on AA, that's in the J cabin.

I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the mid-air public spectacle.

How about the Stratodeck at the Future of Flight, overlooking the Everett factory? It's open to the public during museum hours. Maybe if you email the staff they can arrange something special for you. http://www.futureofflight.org/strato-deck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.