Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping like a baby during turbulence zzzzz

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum

I just got off a flight and had a great nap. It occurred to me that I am rocked to sleep when the plane starts to shimmy and shake. Not the roller-coaster style drops but just good bouncing. Anyone else? I remember being jealous of anyone who could sleep on a plane but now I drool with the best of them.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, United Club

Absolutely, a nice little chop lulls me right to sleep now, like a baby in a rocker.

dan
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I envy people who can sleep on planes.
I just cannot sleep on any sort of transport, only time I went on a cruise I had insomnia for about 2 months after.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

I always slept wonderfully on planes, trains and automobiles regardless of how rough the ride was until one day something changed and now I can't do it anymore. No trauma involved, just something I can't understand. I am wishing I could go back to the good old days.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:01 am

But I hope you didn't wake up in a baby tantrum
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Same here. On a recent DL transatlantic flight I woke up 15 minutes prior to landing at AMS. Everyone around looked really scared. I'm like, what's going on? My neighbor says something like, didn't you feel the turbulences, we all thought we were going down.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by coopgirl703
I just got off a flight and had a great nap. It occurred to me that I am rocked to sleep when the plane starts to shimmy and shake. Not the roller-coaster style drops but just good bouncing. Anyone else? I remember being jealous of anyone who could sleep on a plane but now I drool with the best of them.
Me too. Same with trains. My wife and kid, though, are quite the opposite unfortunately.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I am well trained now, I am usually asleep during the taxiing to the runway for takeoff.

I might wake up momentarily with larger turbulence, but other than that I sleep like a brick.

I do recall the one time I was asleep when we landed, and the landing must have been hard because I jumped awake and thought we had a mid-air collision!!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I also envy those who can sleep on a plane.

Ships definitely rock me to sleep.

When I travel by rail I usually am doing so because I want to see the area we are going through.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

I can doze off but unfortunately can't actually go asleep, whether it's a plane, train, or car. Only one I can is a cruise ship where I have an actual bed.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coopgirl703
My wife likes being rocked to sleep on the plane.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

Can't sleep at all in coach on international flights. Just flew Chicago - Amman yesterday and it was a killer. For that reason, I fly first when possible, but that's probably 50 to 60% of the time. If I can only get first in one direction, which is often as I try to conserve miles as I travel overseas often, I try to do it on the way back as I'm typically geeked on the way over.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

I too wish I could sleep at all on planes. Any bump or noise from someone wakes me up. Ugh.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:32 am

Best night of sleep I've had in my life was in the cab of a relatives 18 wheeler. Gentle diesel vibration and that white noise hum made for an anesthetic sleep. I'd do it every night given the choice.

I, however, can't sleep on aircraft without big phama's help.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife likes being rocked to sleep on the plane.
Same here. I, on the other hand, am one of those people who can't sleep on airplanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.