Reload this Page >

Bringing designer stuff from Asia back to the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bringing designer stuff from Asia back to the US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:05 pm

You can't patent a suit and TF has a well regarded mtm program.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by thelark
You can't patent a suit and TF has a well regarded mtm program.
Yes you can patent a design. And why would I pay $10,000 for a MTM TF suit, when I can pay half that much for a ready-to-wear abroad?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
how come OP has so many spokesperson
funny, considering i probably disagree with OP on just about everything

customs - nothing to do with OP, and something i dont understand
sizes - not really anything to do with OP, and what i was referring to

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 2, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
funny, considering i probably disagree with OP on just about everything
That's actually wrong, we agree on most things in reality.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
The price difference is not the top concern here, provided they are reasonable. And I find the price difference reasonable in HK, Thailand, and Singapore. Not reasonable in mainland China.

Tom Ford patented his suits, and I like his design.
Tom Ford does made to measure. Why not do that rather than being ripped off in HK etc? (having lived in HK for the last 3 years, I can assure you that you are the only person who thinks the excessive mark-up in HK etc is "reasonable").
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Similar things have been suggested. TF MTM are way more than whatever suit with a HK mark up. Also MTM takes a lot longer.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: IHG Gold
That one $6500 suit, the most expensive one I own, I think was bought from Tom Ford in Bangkok or Singapore. I just carried it back (along with my personal item and one carry on), in a TF garment bag with a big logo, and just waltzed right through. I have done that with suits I bought in HK as well, and never declared it. But those times, a suit is the only thing I bought abroad.
Great. You successfully smuggled something into the country because that is what is called when you fail to declare an item. Might work 99 times out of a 100,but the 100th time will be the time you remember.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I wouldn't call it smuggling. I honestly didn't know before, and I thought it was okay just for an item. That's why I started this thread.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:50 am

Just curious is this designer stuff happen to be from ladies market in hong kong and happen to be on the likes of michael kors, channel, louis vutton etc?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/200...xcess-baggage/

The hip-hop star/producer and R&B beauty arrived at the check-in desk in New York City laden with luggage, but were told by airline staff there was not enough room on the Johannesburg-bound flight.

The couple then had to charter another plane to cope with their “almighty collection of suitcases.”
expensive luggage filled with expensive items
(IIRC they had booked entire first class cabin)

its impossible for customs to know where acquired

That's actually wrong, we agree on most things in reality.
i disagree with majority of your opinions ive read
but that has nothing do with with customs

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:47 pm

I wouldn't call it smuggling. I honestly didn't know before, and I thought it was okay just for an item. That's why I started this thread.
I find it hard to believe that a frequent flyer would not understand customs and declaring goods purchased. What difference does it make whether it is one item or 100? One Rolex watch or 20 dollar store items. Which item do you think Customs agents in any country would be more interested in?

The US customs form does not appear to be difficult to understand. Yes you can leave the amount blank, but it you are coming back with a $6500 suit, most people would not assume the get some kind of blanket exmpetion because it is just one item.

RESIDENTS—the total value of all goods, including commercial
merchandise I/we have purchased or acquired abroad, (including
gifts for someone else but not items mailed to
the U.S.) and am/are bringing to the U.S. is:
$_____
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chattersking
Just curious is this designer stuff happen to be from ladies market in hong kong and happen to be on the likes of michael kors, channel, louis vutton etc?
Nope, the stuff is for me - a man.

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/200...xcess-baggage/

expensive luggage filled with expensive items
(IIRC they had booked entire first class cabin)

its impossible for customs to know where acquired

i disagree with majority of your opinions ive read
but that has nothing do with with customs
I disagree with the fact you disagree with me. I think you deep down agree with things I say.

Originally Posted by mapleg
I find it hard to believe that a frequent flyer would not understand customs and declaring goods purchased. What difference does it make whether it is one item or 100? One Rolex watch or 20 dollar store items. Which item do you think Customs agents in any country would be more interested in?

The US customs form does not appear to be difficult to understand. Yes you can leave the amount blank, but it you are coming back with a $6500 suit, most people would not assume the get some kind of blanket exmpetion because it is just one item.

RESIDENTS—the total value of all goods, including commercial
merchandise I/we have purchased or acquired abroad, (including
gifts for someone else but not items mailed to
the U.S.) and am/are bringing to the U.S. is:
$_____
I'm not a frequent flyer. And okay, call me a smuggler if you want. I was not aware of what had to be done when flying back to the US with the one expensive thing I bought abroad, and as blatant as you think the rules and regulations are... well... that's you. I wasn't aware of those rules, hence the reason for starting this thread.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mapleg, you and others seem to be ignoring when people leaving the US pack tens of thousands of dollars worth of personal items in their luggage

I disagree with the fact you disagree with me. I think you deep down agree with things I say.
you dont know me, all i know is what you post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials = a lot i disagree with
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:42 pm

mapleg, you and others seem to be ignoring when people leaving the US pack tens of thousands of dollars worth of personal items in their luggage

you dont know me, all i know is what you post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials = a lot i disagree with
How am I ignoring it? There is a fundamental difference between a US resident leaving the US with thousands of dollars worth of personal items in their luggage and bringing those items back to the US when they return. There is no issue there.

The issue becomes a customs issue when you buy items in another country, and then bring them back to the US and do not declare them.

Having grown up at a major international border, I do know something about customs, duties, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:52 pm

I'm not a frequent flyer. And okay, call me a smuggler if you want. I was not aware of what had to be done when flying back to the US with the one expensive thing I bought abroad, and as blatant as you think the rules and regulations are... well... that's you. I wasn't aware of those rules, hence the reason for starting this thread.

Ok, no problem, but when I see someone with 3000 plus posts on a flyer forum, I do assume they are a frequent flyer. Wrong assumption on my part then.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but you keep focusing on the fact it is one item only, but that really has nothing to do with the issue. You have stated you were in ignorance of customs rules, but presumably now you have a better understanding.

I don't really care if you do or don't declare what you buy. That's solely up to you. However, I do know people who have been kicked out of a trusted traveler program (Nexus) for one small customs indiscretion. The hassle after that was not worth it for them.

Back to your original problem--if you do come back with a suitcase jammed with expensive designer goods, and you don't declare the value of those items when you re-enter the US, you will have major, major problems if they decide to stop you for a secondary inspection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.