Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Bringing designer stuff from Asia back to the US

Bringing designer stuff from Asia back to the US

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
My recommendation would be to keep the receipts, declare all the items, pay the minimal duty on the items and sleep well at night.
Exactly. It always puzzles me why people often take significant risk for very little reward, and how people value differently a bad sleep due to fear than one due an angled seat...

Last edited by ChangingNappies; Aug 28, 2015 at 2:36 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Once I emerged from the jetway after a Montreal-Cleveland flight and saw a purposeful-looking fellow walk up to the lady right behind me. He took her elbow and said very firmly, "ma'am, I'd like to talk to you about your coat." I hadn't noticed the extravagant fur coat she was wearing, but the customs agent sure did.

I guess we must have pre-cleared immigration and customs at YUL, and Montreal US customs had alerted an agent in Cleveland.
My coat is from the Spring Summer 2015 season! Look at the collections catalogue! They don't sell those now, I've had it for months!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would the OP be bringing the stuff for personal use and gifts or for commercial purposes? That can make a big difference.
Strictly personal use. But how would you prove that? All I can think of is taking the tags off, throwing the packaging away, and or wearing some of it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For genuine designer and luxury clothing and accessories, I'd be surprised if retail prices in Asia were less that prices in the USA.[The odds might be more favorable for Asian rather than foreign designers and labels.] Moreover, stores in Asia are likely to mostly carry very small sizes.
Asia is almost always more expensive. That's why rather than going to China, I stick to places with lower import tax rates like HK, Thailand, and I would say Singapore too, but I never plan on visiting there again. I'm a rather small person by American standards. Neiman Marcus doesn't carry my size for the designer I like. Some of that designer's US boutiques don't even carry my size.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Aug 28, 2015 at 4:09 am
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I have found no hidden gold in other countries in regards to price. In many instances prices in Asia for designer handbags and shoes were dearer. The price seems to be standard. I priced a designer handbag at saks online and it was the equivalent price here in Australia (after factoring exchange rates).

You're Tom Ford... one expects you to have designer stuff. lol
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I have found no hidden gold in other countries in regards to price. In many instances prices in Asia for designer handbags and shoes were dearer. The price seems to be standard. I priced a designer handbag at saks online and it was the equivalent price here in Australia (after factoring exchange rates).

You're Tom Ford... one expects you to have designer stuff. lol
I believe that for US, but at Australia too? My aunt lives in Australia and whenever she came to visit she shops! My parents went to Australia to visit and they said everything there is like 2x to 3x more expansive than in the states including cup of noodles!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Need
I believe that for US, but at Australia too? My aunt lives in Australia and whenever she came to visit she shops! My parents went to Australia to visit and they said everything there is like 2x to 3x more expansive than in the states including cup of noodles!
Regular clothes shopping or shoe brands are often cheaper in the USA. However, in my experience the designer labels, Vuitton, Dior etc are similar when taking in to account he exchange rate of the countries.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Regular clothes shopping or shoe brands are often cheaper in the USA. However, in my experience the designer labels, Vuitton, Dior etc are similar when taking in to account he exchange rate of the countries.
If you take into account the exchange rate, when the dollar was strong designer clothes in the US and Europe was much cheaper as the exchange rate for AUD was imported at approximately 80c. The strange thing is that low-mid range stuff like GAP, Zara and H&M has a hefty mark up in Australia whilst something like Brooks Brothers is the same price. The main issue for shopping designer wear in Asia is that it is often a season to half a season ahead.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by PTravel
This is not quite correct. All American citizens are allowed to bring back one counterfeit item for personal use in each category, i.e. one DVD, one purse, one pair of shoes, etc. They will not be seized.

You should, of course, declare everything and it's a good idea to keep receipts.
Welcome back, Ptravel!
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP has bought $6,500 suit in US

wealthy and spenders own these goods
customs cant prove where it was bought

maybe japanese have answers for this (buying expensive outside japan)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 30, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

That one $6500 suit, the most expensive one I own, I think was bought from Tom Ford in Bangkok or Singapore. I just carried it back (along with my personal item and one carry on), in a TF garment bag with a big logo, and just waltzed right through. I have done that with suits I bought in HK as well, and never declared it. But those times, a suit is the only thing I bought abroad.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
That's why rather than going to China, I stick to places with lower import tax rates like HK, Thailand, and I would say Singapore too, but I never plan on visiting there again. I'm a rather small person by American standards. Neiman Marcus doesn't carry my size for the designer I like. Some of that designer's US boutiques don't even carry my size.
Asia is more expensive than the US for designer clothes etc. If you want designer rather than counterfeit, you will pay a hefty premium on US prices in HK, Singapore etc. HK may have no sales tax but prices are still high to 1) factor in high rents and 2) to maximise profit from the cash-rich mainland market. The only designer "item" I found to be cheaper in HK when I lived there was Armani make-up (and Apple products).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

US is terrible for men's fashion, apparently even at the highest end in OP's experience
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
US is terrible for men's fashion, apparently even at the highest end in OP's experience
how come OP has so many spokesperson
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nothing you cant get in the US (NY, especially) that you can get at other places: brioni, isaia, edward green, drakes, purple label, etc

unless youre talking about 1 old man in a napoli shop or a boutique like charvet paris.... where the money is, the retailers are... and thats america
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
My coat is from the Spring Summer 2015 season! Look at the collections catalogue! They don't sell those now, I've had it for months!

Strictly personal use. But how would you prove that? All I can think of is taking the tags off, throwing the packaging away, and or wearing some of it.

Asia is almost always more expensive. That's why rather than going to China, I stick to places with lower import tax rates like HK, Thailand, and I would say Singapore too, but I never plan on visiting there again. I'm a rather small person by American standards. Neiman Marcus doesn't carry my size for the designer I like. Some of that designer's US boutiques don't even carry my size.
so why don't you do MTM?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 3:33 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bibbju
Asia is more expensive than the US for designer clothes etc. If you want designer rather than counterfeit, you will pay a hefty premium on US prices in HK, Singapore etc. HK may have no sales tax but prices are still high to 1) factor in high rents and 2) to maximise profit from the cash-rich mainland market. The only designer "item" I found to be cheaper in HK when I lived there was Armani make-up (and Apple products).
The price difference is not the top concern here, provided they are reasonable. And I find the price difference reasonable in HK, Thailand, and Singapore. Not reasonable in mainland China.

Originally Posted by thelark
so why don't you do MTM?
Tom Ford patented his suits, and I like his design.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.