Search

Shoe etiquette on the longest of long hauls

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by B747-437B
In at least 2 recent high profile crashes, passengers who evacuated without their passports had significant difficulties with immigration authorities in the immediate aftermath, including in at least one case detention for multiple days until a new document could be issued by their embassy.

Certainly, it isn't your most important task but if you had to carry any single item with you during an evacuation, that is near the top of the list.
But they were alive.

In an evacuation, don't stop for anything. A few seconds could mean someone's life.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Even in J/F I wear socks in a POD. So yes, this is fine by me.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
In an evacuation, don't stop for anything. A few seconds could mean someone's life.
Putting your passport in your pocket as a precautionary measure before each landing never delayed anyone from evacuating an aircraft.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K

But they were alive.

If its in my pocket already it's not slowing me down a bit l. If I've lived through it, it would be nice to be able to also be one of the first to be able to go home. And the cell phone in the other pocket, if both it and I survive then I can also be one of the first to let my loved ones know I'm ok.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:22 am

Putting your passport in your pocket as a precautionary measure before each landing never delayed anyone from evacuating an aircraft.
If passeport doesn't fit, ID (or driver's license) and a credit card in the pocket is my minimum.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Ever since the Asiana crash I've done just what others have said: shoes on and passport/wallet in pocket once we begin our descent. Same in reverse, those don't get stowed until we finish climbing.

I fully recognize that it is overwhelmingly likely I will never have to evacuate a plane but I still think it's a reasonable precaution in the face of that remote chance.

As for shoes, on a longhaul I definitely kick them off while I'm at my seat but I put them back on to go to the lav.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
In at least 2 recent high profile crashes, passengers who evacuated without their passports had significant difficulties with immigration authorities in the immediate aftermath, including in at least one case detention for multiple days until a new document could be issued by their embassy.

Certainly, it isn't your most important task but if you had to carry any single item with you during an evacuation, that is near the top of the list.
I'm alive. If I have a few hassles with immigration that's still ok.

What was the nationality of the people having trouble?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
What was the nationality of the people having trouble?
In the detention case, the person was mainland Chinese.

It was a complex scenario whereby the person was entitled to visa free transit on the basis of another visa held in the passport, but not entry or transit otherwise. With the passport inaccessible, the survivor was held in an immigration detention facility until they were eventually deported back to the point of origin under an emergency travel document.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by t325
My question to FTers, if you were seated next to me, and I was wearing only socks for most of the flight, would you be making a post in this thread the second you landed? I would think it's OK, especially since sandals would leave so much of my foot exposed anyways, but I don't want to be "that guy".
No, but I will call you out on the fashion sacrilege of wearing socks with sandals. I don't mind people wearing flip flops if their feet aren't disturbing to the eyes or the nose.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I can't remember which one(s), but I do recall more than one European airline enforcing the shoes-on-for-take-off-and-landing rule.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: US Gold
I like to wear Polartec socks over my usual socks while on the plane - warmer, and they resist getting wet when there are spills. I'm also going to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing socks with many types of sandals. Sometimes it's the most practical solution.

wg
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Whenever I stay in a hotel that provides slippers I bring them home with me. I then pack them in my carry-on on my next long haul flight to use when walking around the plane. They are especially useful for protecting my feet from ick in the lavatory. They take up very little room in my bag and can be disposed of after the flight.

The hotel would have thrown them away after I used them during my stay so this way they stay out of the landfill a little longer.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:06 pm

I have no problem at all with people ditching their shoes and going sox-only on long flights. Just make sure your personal hygiene is up to snuff. I usually shower the night before a long flight simply because I am never sure when I will get the next shower if things go wrong. I don't qualify for the airport clubs and suites.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

Socks are fine..... Definitely recommend shoes in the lavatory.... would you wear socks whilst walking around in the public lavatory at the airport?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
Originally Posted by luxtrvlwrks
Whenever I stay in a hotel that provides slippers I bring them home with me. I then pack them in my carry-on on my next long haul flight to use when walking around the plane. They are especially useful for protecting my feet from ick in the lavatory. They take up very little room in my bag and can be disposed of after the flight.

The hotel would have thrown them away after I used them during my stay so this way they stay out of the landfill a little longer.
This, totally. I saw someone do this recently and have picked up the practice myself. Brilliant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.