Wiki Posts
Search

FF's: Do you have amateur moments?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum

I'm a fairly frequent flyer (~150k per year) and have been for years, and in most aspects I am experienced and travel all over the world with ease.

However, no matter what I do and how well I organize, I always have issues getting through security. I seem to struggle and look like a total noob no matter when and where.. even with pre-check.

YES I am the terrible person in front of you in the line that's dropping things, taking too much time, and generally looking like an unorganized mess. I have tried to fix this and gotten slightly better, but not much

What is your travel weakness or amateur moment when you are on the road?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

Why is it so hard to be prepared to go through security, especially when you do it very regularly and know exactly what to expect when you get there? I don't get that and never will.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:07 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Yep, I have them a lot, it never fails that I set at least one alarm off in security during the trip.
I usually forget about little foil packets of medication in my pockets and that sets off the UK detectors but strangely never sets off most of the Asian or European airport detectors(even went through changi wearing a belt and never set it off)
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Why is it so hard to be prepared to go through security, especially when you do it very regularly and know exactly what to expect when you get there? I don't get that and never will.
At this point, I'm sure it's totally psychological. Perhaps performance anxiety?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
As I posted on the "dumb mistake" thread, I'm double-booked this afternoon to both MDW and ORD, completely by accident.

Nine months ago, I booked an Avios award to ORD and then immediately and completely forgot I'd done it. Didn't add it to my calendar, didn't call to get it added to my AA itineraries like I usually do with Avios flights. Just ignored it....until I got an alert last night to go check in for it, *after* I'd already checked in for a WN ticket I bought a few weeks ago.

Fortunately, it's no harm to cancel WN, but still....talk about amateur hour...

I can't even pass it off as the WN ticket being "IROPS insurance". The WN flight takes off first.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
At this point, I'm sure it's totally psychological. Perhaps performance anxiety?
Totally reasonable explanation. I think those of us who read FT are probably more sensitized to the underlying neuroses and impatience of other flyers. Most of the world is likely blissfully unaware.

I'm kind of klutzy by nature and when I try to concentrate especially hard on some of the logistics of getting through the airport I find myself feeling awkward and cumbersome.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:18 am

Flopping down in the wrong seat. I am so used to always getting an aisle seat that I forgot this time I didn't. Felt like an idiot when the rightful occupant arrived and asked me to move over.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Flopping down in the wrong seat. I am so used to always getting an aisle seat that I forgot this time I didn't. Felt like an idiot when the rightful occupant arrived and asked me to move over.

Darn.. I guess I act like an amateur flyer a lot! I do this too!

In all fairness, I always book myself in the same seats. I have the favorite on several types of planes and the routine is so familiar that on the rare occasion that I can't get my seat, it's very possible that I'll end up in the wrong location.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I make a mistake at security, I blame the wholly inconsistent nature of airport security checkpoints. Even within the same country, they often seem to operate totally differently.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by pinniped
If I make a mistake at security, I blame the wholly inconsistent nature of airport security checkpoints. Even within the same country, they often seem to operate totally differently.
This. The other day in MUC I was asked to take out my mobile phone, which I actually don't remember being asked to do even after the fully-charged requirement went into effect. I realized that my second phone was in the bag that already was on its way through X-ray and told the security agent, who just smiled sheepishly and waved. I think she was inexperienced and making it up as she went. It meant a couple of extra minutes of unplanned digging through my bag like an amateur.

Of course, I had no excuse for forgetting the bottle of water in my carryon that led to a bag search at SFO.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
I seem to always forget to check, or mail, forbidden items and just leave them in my backpack, to be confiscated by TSA. Things like corkscrews purchased in wineries, small but pointy toys purchased for the kids, that sort of thing. I once was travelling to see my oldest son and wanted to give him the gavel he won at a high school event. I put it in my backpack and the TSA grabbed it. I just do this again and again.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Is it possible you're being overly critical of yourself, believing that as an experienced flyer you should be able to dash through the process of removing your computer, liquids, belt, shoes, and everything from your pockets-- and reassemble it all on the other side-- all without breaking your stride?

To me the real amateurs are the people who:
  • Have to rummage through their bags in the security line (really, you packed your boarding pass with your socks?)
  • Don't pay attention to general instructions (as if "Take off your belt" applies to someone else but not them)
  • Need 3 or more attempts to get through the scanner because they can't follow specific instructions ("Empty your pockets" means everything in your pockets. All your pockets.)

You're not that bad, are you?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Putting my passport, driver's licence or tickets etc., in the carryon before arriving at the airport and rummaging about to find them at security or car rental. Answer-I tell myself we're all human and all humans make mistakes. Been doing it since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Hopefully mine will not be too serious but there have been times....
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

I once mistakenly booked a ticket to Omaha when I needed to be in Tulsa. Luckily caught it in the 24 hour window. It would have made for a long drive. Not sure what was going on in my head. They are both 5 letters ending in A? Definitely an amateur move.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've tried to board the wrong flight more than once; just on autopilot and walking up to a gate I think is for my flight without checking the board. I've also sat in the wrong seat (most often I am on the wrong side of the aisle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.