Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing AA 777-300ER or BA 747-400 Business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Choosing AA 777-300ER or BA 747-400 Business class

Hi, often read this forum but never posted hope you can help me.

I’m planning a Business trip (my own company) from Copenhagen to Las Vegas next year and I have been looking a buying Business class tickets with America Airlines. There are 2 main reasons for this 1 they are a lot cheaper than all other companies and 2 many flights are Codeshare with British Airways and I have been wanting to try the A380 for some time now and BA flies that one to LA. I’m not a seasoned Buisness traveler but I have flown Buisness with Thai, Eva Airlines and KLM more than one. I like to arrive rested but for me the Buisness class experience is just as important, as it not something I get to do every year.

So one way is pretty easy for me to choose but I’m having a little harder time deciding for the other trip. To me the BA business class product looks a bit inferior to AA’s 777-300ER planes that has the all isle access herringbone configuration.

So here is my “problem” the fastest route to Vegas is BA’s 747 directly from Heathrow to Las vegas and that way I would only have 1 stopover. If I want to try the AA Buisness class that will add an extra stop somewhere in the US and about 5-6 hours (some of that I must save in not passing customs in vegas on the direct flight). So I’m looking for an answer is the AA product so much better than BA that it is worth the longer travel time or should I just take the fastest route?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
How about BA on the way out, and then AA on the inbound? Is that possible?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Thomas Eriksen
To me the BA business class product looks a bit inferior to AA’s 777-300ER planes that has the all isle access herringbone configuration.
Yup.

Originally Posted by Thomas Eriksen
So here is my “problem” the fastest route to Vegas is BA’s 747 directly from Heathrow to Las vegas and that way I would only have 1 stopover. If I want to try the AA Buisness class that will add an extra stop somewhere in the US and about 5-6 hours (some of that I must save in not passing customs in vegas on the direct flight). So I’m looking for an answer is the AA product so much better than BA that it is worth the longer travel time or should I just take the fastest route?
Probably not worth 5+ hours of extra travel time IMO, and you have to clear immigration/customs at some point in the USA no matter what.

But if you can do AA one way and BA the other you can compare for yourself.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Hi thanks for the replies Yes i can fly both BA and AA but i left out one important detail and that is that I’m flying home from LA. The airbus A380 is only operated on the London to Los Angeles route and AA don’t fly directly from London to Las Vegas. So if I want to try both airlines and the A380 I’m forced to the extra stop.

My route would look a bit like this
CPH-LHR - A320
LHR-LAX - A380
LAX – LAS – MD80

Return
LAX-LHR - 777-300ER
LHR–CPH – A320

But the fastest option would be the 747 directly from LHR-LAS but that is the only direct flight I can chose from London.

Regarding my comment on immigration I meant that part of the time between flights in LAX would be spend on immigration and on the direct flight that is added to my time so the difference out of the airport might not be the full 5 hours.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I quite like the ying-yang BA configuration as I find the window seats more private (it does mean you often have to jump over peoples feet when you need to use the loo).

I also don't like the 777, it's too cramped and too noisy. Upper deck 747 is great in my opinion and also enjoy the 747 before they all go.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Hey. So, here's my opinion. American's 777-300s have a great product, which I believe is superior to that of British Airways' 747-400 Club World Product. As you are trying to get to Vegas, I think it may be better for you to take AA metal through Los Angeles. I love the A380, so if you want to try the A380, that would be great, too, but I think American is quite better.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I haven't flown the BA A380 (though I have been on other BA flights in J) but I have been on other airlines' A380s. I just don't think it's worth experiencing the plane on BA compared to the much nicer, roomier seats, with all-aisle access, on the AA 777-300ER. Plus the cabin ambiance might be nicer with AA's four-across versus BA's seven-across or eight-across in J on the A380. I'd go with AA for LAX-LHR.

If you do go with AA, try to get a row 3 window seat as that's in the J mini-cabin. (Not row 4, though, as that's next to the galley which can be noisy. Same caution applies to row 5, the first row in the main J cabin.)

The only other potential trade-off I should mention is that you have a better chance of getting good service on BA as opposed to with AA's very uneven flight attendants. But you can still get good FAs on AA and mediocre ones on BA. Regardless, I'd definitely go with AA.

By the way, I believe (but am not certain) that if you have enough time for lounge access in Heathrow, since the two airlines are One World partners you can access the superior BA lounge that's not far from the AA lounge, even if you're flying AA.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I flew the A380 in J (upper deck) LHR-JNB-LHR recently and was underwhelmed. Usual story: the aisle seats seem exposed, and the window seats seem coffin like, with the usual hop over someone's legs to go to the bathroom. Also the 2-3-2 configuration felt cramped. I generally prefer the service and IFE on BA, but the greater privacy, storage and aisle access of the AA 77W would swing it for me.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I haven't flown either but from all of my collective trip report reading I'd say go AA over BA. It just looks like the BA is weak.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. It seems that there are several of you that feel that it is worth the extra time to fly with AA over BA. So I will hold on to my original plan to Fly BA A380 on one leg and AA 777-300ER on the other. That way I can experience both companies product.

Guess that I will take the A380 on the outbound as that is a day flight so I might as well experience the service on BA and the better seats on AA on my way home when I can get some sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.