Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question Re: Adequate Connecting Time in CPH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Question Re: Adequate Connecting Time in CPH

I'm booking my first international trip for this November (Yay!), and am trying to figure out if 2.5 hours is a safe layover time. I'm booking a flight from Baltimore > Reykjavik > Copenhagen on the same ticket, and hoping to catch a flight out of Copenhagen (same airport) 2.5 hours later. I'm a bit concerned since it seems like the first flight could get delayed in my mind, and I'd be pretty SOL when I arrived.

Can anyone offer advice or what their experiences were? I'm pretty anxious about not getting stuck in Europe forever! I appreciate anything you have to offer!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

If the arrival is on time into CPH then you'll be fine. That's plenty of time to connect there. The risk is in whether that flight is on time or not and what your tolerance for a missed connection is. There are some travel insurance products which will provide you with replacement tickets to cover the missed flight in cases like the one you described. That's probably a smart investment in your situation.

Odds are you won't use it, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have some insurance to cover yourself. Especially with a connection like you've described.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! It also occurred to me that I could always just buy a ticket for the next day, as the $10 for an extra Ryanair ticket is cheaper than insurance that would cover that sort of thing, and certainly cheaper than buying a ticket same-day. Would that be a valid option? I could also grab a ticket later in the day, but those are more expensive than getting a ticket the next day.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:33 am

If you go for the next day option with Ryanair ex-CPH you need to factor two things:
- Ryanair tickets get more expensive the closer you purchase to your intended travel date
- accommodation in CPH is quite expensive so you need to calculate the total journey cost incl a night stop

Having said that Copenhagen, even in November, is definitely worth a day's sightseeing. The airport is only a short metro journey from downtown.

Let us know how you get on!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by VexLegas
Thanks! It also occurred to me that I could always just buy a ticket for the next day, as the $10 for an extra Ryanair ticket is cheaper than insurance that would cover that sort of thing, and certainly cheaper than buying a ticket same-day. Would that be a valid option?
Sure. Doesn't matter how you "insure" the trip so long as you have accounted for the potential issue and have a plan. A second ticket completely works in that case.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
How much are you willing to gamble on a backup? The other option is to purchase a fully refundable ticket for the following day and then cancel it if the original plans work out. With 2.5 hours at CPH, you'd need to be pretty massively late, so you should be fine. Not checking bags will save tons of time since otherwise you'll need to claim and recheck your bags, which involves going landside...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.