Wiki Posts
Search

Congress introduces legislation to cap baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:53 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Baggage fees would be capped at the amount of the passenger facility charge (currently $4.50).

To me, it seems like an effort to get airlines to support increasing the PFC.

https://consumermediallc.files.wordp..._004_xml-7.pdf
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I can see consequences to it if it passes, like extra charges elsewhere on the ticket and overall it being HIGHER than the baggage charges in place just now.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
It's a good start, they really need to follow other countries and either outright ban fuel surcharges or limit them as Hong Kong does. Let's get back to the days of actually pricing a ticket for the amount you want to charge for a flight instead of all the + + garbage.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will they also step up to the plate on the most bogus of travel fees, the "resort" fee?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dvs7310
It's a good start, they really need to follow other countries and either outright ban fuel surcharges or limit them as Hong Kong does. Let's get back to the days of actually pricing a ticket for the amount you want to charge for a flight instead of all the + + garbage.
Yes, maybe the government can force the airlines to charge $250 per ticket instead of the ridiculous $225 per ticket and $25 for a checked bag. That would be a huge win for consumers. (except for the $5 "enforcement fee" that is tacked on. And the fact that a person with no bags is subsidizing those with 2 bags. But who needs this consumption-based fees, free-market stuff. Similarly, maybe we just charge everyone $30 to fill up their car with gas - none of this charge based-on-how-much-you-actually-use stuff. We need more regulation to make things better.)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cbn42

To me, it seems like an effort to get airlines to support increasing the PFC.
I'd say that's precisely the intent. Just a guess but I'd imagine that this has a slim chance of ever becoming law.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Silly legislation is introduced all the time to appease one constituent or another. Same thing with anti-TSA stuff. It makes some Member look good to somebody. But, it's not going anywhere, Take a look at the Bills that are introduced and you will see hundreds of odds and ends which are feel goods.

2. Just like interchange (swipe) fees for CC, even if the bag fee cap passes, the revenue will be made up somewhere else. Domestic change fee of $250? No SDC fee waivers for elites?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
No no no! As someone who almost always carries on I am against this because it will make my fare go up? Do these numbskulls in congress not understand that if you restrict how much the airline can charge in baggage, they will just raise their fares by that much more, or find a new fee somewhere else to make up the difference.

Why should I have to subsidize those that check bags? Pay for what you use!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPRich
none of this charge based-on-how-much-you-actually-use stuff.
What part of air travel is priced based on what you actually use? None of it, and that's been the case for decades. Pretending otherwise belies reality.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:34 am

If they want to really pass some useful legislation, they should force a lower cap on change fees. It cannot cost the airline much for me to go to their website and change a flight with a few clicks. $200 is ridiculous. $25 to $50 max would be acceptable and very profitable for the carrier. A stiffer penalty for cancellation might be understandable but not just to change a flight within the same city pair.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
If they want to really pass some useful legislation, they should force a lower cap on change fees. It cannot cost the airline much for me to go to their website and change a flight with a few clicks. $200 is ridiculous. $25 to $50 max would be acceptable and very profitable for the carrier. A stiffer penalty for cancellation might be understandable but not just to change a flight within the same city pair.
You already CAN get a ticket with no change fee. It's called a "refundable fare"
(look it up). Don't like the fare? don't book it. Or go to Southwest, they charge $0 for changes.

This is America. You have choices.

(and yes, sometimes you have to pay extra for the choices) Would you really prefer it some other way?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:34 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Since when did a fee have to have anything to do with the actual costs of providing the service? Change fees exist to enforce their pricing structure on nonrefundable tickets, not to fairly compensate the airline for making the changes to a ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Allan38103
This is America. You have choices.
More like the illusion of choice, considering everything is made/owned by five or six big companies in each industry, but still better than the government regulating everything (and no, I do not mean that sarcastically).

Don't want to do business with Pepsi? No more Pepsi drinks, Lipton teas, Gatorade, Lays potato chips, Quaker foods, SoBE, Aquafina, Naked Juice, and Tropicana for you.

Don't want to do business with Disney? No more Disney parks, movies, tv-shows, ABC news/channel/entertainment, ESPN, Hulu, Marvel, LucasFilms, A&E, Muppets, Pixar, or UTV for you.

Don't want to do business with Apple, Google, or Microsoft? I suggest throwing out all of your technology.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k

Congress is stupid
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
If this were to somehow pass the airlines could just take it to court and win, hasnt there been several cases in the last few decades of someone trying to force the airline to do something and the case has always failed due to deregulation and airlines are free to price their product as they see fit.

Congress should not restrict airline fees the same way they can't restrict how much Starbucks charges for a cup of coffee. Don't like the fee? Don't check a bag, don't fly the airline, or fly an airline that doesn't charge a fee.

This is capitalism, not communism. The government has no business telling a private company what they can charge for a product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.