Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who gets the money refund for flight cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium

Just read this thread on eliott: http://elliott.org/forum/threads/ala...ket-fail.2397/

It has been about two and a half months now and Alaska Airlines will still not work with me. I purchased a ticket for who I thought was a friend; her relationship had failed and she wanted to get away to Cabo San Lucas. I said I would purchase the tickets so we could not have to worry about the seating arrangements and she could pay me back when she got paid.

About two weeks after purchasing the tickets I was then told that she got a new job and would not be able to make the trip. I had no worries as I still was making my way down to Mexico. I had cancelled the trip for her (since it was my reservation) and got half of the ticket cancelled and set up for her.
I've never had to cancel flight tickets ever, but ... I always thought the airline would pay the refund for the entire reservation to the credit card used to pay for it in the first place. Have I been wrong this entire time? If I buy 6 flight tickets for my family and need to process a cancellation, does that mean the airline can only refund to all 6 people separately?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Would she have called the airline in advance to cancel her portion of the trip? I don't see how the airline would have known her details in order to give her the money otherwise.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:46 pm

The Airline
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is something wrong with the story. As it's a third-hand report from an unreliable blog, I suspect that we have 1/3 of the story.

By contract, the vendor (carrier) should refund to the original form of payment (CC).
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shuigao
If I buy 6 flight tickets for my family and need to process a cancellation, does that mean the airline can only refund to all 6 people separately?
No. But I'm also guessing that there is confusion over the term "cancellation" in this context.

The vast majority of plane tickets sold are nonrefundable. They cannot be cancelled and a refund made back to the original form of payment. Where the tickets are refundable they can be processed individually (one can be split out of the multi-passenger PNR) and that refund goes back to the original form of payment.

Depending on the fare some non-refundable tickets can be altered for a fee. This is the "change fee" often discussed and which is often $200 or more on legacy carriers. When that comes in to play the original fare value essentially becomes a credit for future travel, but that credit is tied to the named passenger for whom the initial ticket was booked. This is a standard process across the industry, with maybe a few exceptions but even Southwest has tightened the rules on that front.

So if you have a refundable fare on the trip for the family of 6 and one is cancelled the refund for the one ticket will go back to the original form of payment. But if it is a non-refundable ticket and you're paying a change fee then the ticket can only be used by that one family member, even after you pay the fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.