Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Will an airline verify if a passenger took a flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Not sure where to ask this question -
Is it possible to verify if an employee took a certain flight? I have the flight details and name of the passenger.

Thanks, Will
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Plt, MR Plt, HY Plt
Short of asking to see the employee's boarding pass I am not sure you can. Airlines generally do not disclose manifest information.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Passenger flight verification

not without violating federal law. if you did find a way to do it without the employees permission and it was used against t he employee they could file a federal complaint. if the employee was cooperative they could provide a boarding pass or frequent flyer statement.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Plt, MR Plt, HY Plt
Did you call the airline and tell them the name and flight and ask to verify if the person made the flight OK? It's a stretch but maybe they can tell you "Yes" or "No" without giving details.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, willc549!

This is something you should resolve with the employee in question. You won't get anything from the airline without a court order, and if it comes to that, I'd say you've already made your decision about that employee.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Passenger flight verification

As others have said, if this is an employment issue, you can ask the employee to provide proof in the form of a boarding pass, FFP statement, or ticket receipt showing the leg was flown.

But that is a workplace documentation issue, not something an airline would disclose.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:54 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, willc549!

Since the question is off-topic for CommunityBuzz and has already been answered, I am closing this thread.

NewbieRunner
Co-Moderator, ComminityBuzz

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 27, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:08 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note

This thread was closed in CommunityBuzz but moved to TravelBuzz before the thread was re-opened. It's now open for any further discussion in TravelBuzz. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:16 am

If they are a FTer, you can check their account to see if they got miles. If they didn't, they obviously didn't fly.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:29 am
Suspended

Does who paid for the trip matter, regarding federal law? If I buy a ticket for a flight for someone else, don't I have the right to know if that flight was taken of if I'm due a refund?

And does anyone know the specific "law" that prevents release of such information?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
Does who paid for the trip matter, regarding federal law? If I buy a ticket for a flight for someone else, don't I have the right to know if that flight was taken of if I'm due a refund?

And does anyone know the specific "law" that prevents release of such information?
IIRC according to the airlines the ticket belongs to the person whose name is on the ticket (obviously refunds go back on card of who paid for it). I recall a post in the last few years where an OP cancelled their friends ticket on them out of spite stating they should be able to cancel it since they paid for it. The Airline disagreed, reinstated the ticket and told the OP they need to sort that out themselves.

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 28, 2015 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by willc549
Not sure where to ask this question -
Is it possible to verify if an employee took a certain flight? I have the flight details and name of the passenger.

Thanks, Will
That presumably depends on a) the legal jurisdiction (you don't say where you are, but if you are in the UK, then the DPA would probably be used - correctly or otherwise - by the airlines as a reason for refusing to say); b) the airline, and c) the individual agent you speak to.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by s0ssos
If they are a FTer, you can check their account to see if they got miles. If they didn't, they obviously didn't fly.
This requires access to the employee's frequent flyer account for the airline in question, including his or her FF number and password. You can't just ask for those, because it would be easier and more straightforward to ask for something like a boarding pass. And you really, really don't want to be caught hacking into employees' frequent flyer accounts. That way lies major trouble.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not going to comment on the legality of this, but you could use the various ticket refund tools to see if all segments of their ticket have been flown. You will need the ticket number. If they cashed it in and drove instead, the tickets will say exchanged, or refunded vs. flown/used.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
How would that work???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.