Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Domestic first class- anything I should do special?

Domestic first class- anything I should do special?

Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Red face Domestic first class- anything I should do special?

was upgraded for my next trip on AA. from ONT DFW ICT so one longer flight and one shorter hop. .
I know the seats are bigger, you get free drinks and and extra luggage free.
I get one meal (breakfast) on the longer flight.
Anything special I should do/not do? Ask for?

Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Most people in first class wear velour track suits, so you might think about investing in one of those.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
You may want to practice your drinking ahead of time so you can take advantage of the free alcohol without acting drunk. (kidding of course)

In all seriousness, don't expect too much. I was so excited the first time I flew first and was sorely disappointed. It seems to me like first isn't amazing, but it's the way airline travel should be.

However, if you ever get the chance to fly international first/business first, on most flights over 6 hours, it's pretty amazing compared to US travel. Lay-flat beds, menus for meal selection, care kits and depending on the airline, you may even get pajamas.

Good Luck!!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Domestic first is still special to me, though less so now with recent cutbacks. Best aspects are the additional width (no rubbing elbows with my seatmate), less competition for overhead bin space, and better service from the FA's (but don't treat them as your personal servant). The first time I flew first (AA DFW-LAX in 2009) it was so exciting, one of my best flights ever. Of course, I'm speaking from a mostly coach flyer's perspective.

Enjoy your flight.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
  • don't go oohing and aahing over everything like a lovestruck teenager
  • don't take too many selfies ... better, don't take ANY selfies
  • thank the flight attendants for EVERYTHING they do ... offering to hang your jacket, offering a pre-departure beverage and/or a hot towel (I haven't been in AA F in 20 years, so I don't know what is and isn't commonly done here), bringing and removing the meal tray, refilling your drink, etc

basically, just be pleasant, and enjoy your 3 or 4 hours in the front cabins
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Just please don't whip out your phone to call all your friends and tell them, at the top of your lungs, "I'm in FIRST CLASS!!"

(Kidding aside, it's been done.)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
I have my leisure suit in the dry cleaners as I type. Also have a selfie stick ready so I can take plenty of video and pictures of the momentous occasion.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Refer to the people in steerage as either "the little people" or "kettles as they walk past. Be sure to point at them while doing so.

What IS allowed is to take their bag out of the bin and toss it on the floor if they try to stuff it above you as they pass by.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Take your shoes and socks off and let your feet rest on a bulkhead if you can. Other passengers appreciate that so much they in fact take photo's of it to admire later on public forums.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:12 am
Suspended

Refer to the stewardesses as 'wenches' and immediately ask for a glass of Jack Daniels, making a point of telling them that your glass should never be empty for the duration of the flight.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Demand the beluga caviar and Krug champagne that all domestic first class passengers "in the know" receive. You may need the secret password.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:36 am

Relax and enjoy!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Request the Daniel Onn VIP treatment and don't forget to wear your PJs and bring your full body pillow with you.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At least once find an excuse to say DYKWIA?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

HEHEEH these gave me a good laugh!

I don't understand selfies anyway- I have taken pictures out a window on a plane with my camera but I don't get the "LOOK AT ME" thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.