Reload this Page >

What are your favorite travel myths?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are your favorite travel myths?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:01 am

Favorite/least favorites generally relate to business travel and perceived insensitivity to price...you can buy any airfare/stay at any hotel/eat anything and expense it...um, no, in my work everything is watched closely and there are set per diems for meals and hotels, which sometimes are very restrictive...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Business travelers (esp international) are out there "living the life" while the spouse and kids get stuck at home. We're all heavy drinkers that go out partying with clients and work associates while we're on the road.

-YES it's true that my husband gets more than his fair share of housework while I'm gone, but my family actually travels more due to my miles.
-YES I do take my clients out to dinner, but there is NO partying involved.
-The only piece that might be true is the drinking, even though I know not all of us do. I just can't pass up the free booze in the lounge and on the plane..
How true...

"You earn miles so easily, all you have to do is sit in business class and drink."
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
While not J.....

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That if you say you're on your honeymoon that they'll upgrade you to business class.

That doesn't work on Air Canada for sure. Huge myth.

....China Airlines blocked an entire row of 4 Y seats TPE-HNL on ours and brought us back champers and and J meals when we told them.
Before you ask, I used miles for J for YYZ-TPE and HNL-YYZ, but there was no direct flights from TPE-HNL so we had to pay for Y on that leg.

I have also told many all inclusive resorts we are on our "honeymoon" for free upgrades, as our marriage certificate is in Chinese and thus unreadable to almost all check in agents.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by HomerJ

I have also told many all inclusive resorts we are on our "honeymoon" for free upgrades, as our marriage certificate is in Chinese and thus unreadable to almost all check in agents.
That will be really embarrassing the day you find a check-in agent who can read Chinese.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:01 pm

my favorite myths, in no particular order:

1. direct flights.
2. there is no public transportation in LA.
3. dressing up can get you an upgrade.
4. there is a difference, in terms of how airlines and their staff should treat you, between paid F and upgraded F.
5. laptops aren't allowed in seatback pockets because they pose a danger to passengers.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I can confirm getting a honeymoon upgrade, albeit on a very light travel day and through a travel agent (BWI-LAS on 12/25/99, maybe HP?) and we really were on our honeymoon. I just asked the GA to seat us together, and she did (in 2D/F). My first F (and my first B of an ex-wife as it turned out).

My other favorite myth is that PreCheck means I don't have to undergo screening at the airport. When I explain the program to dullards, they don't believe me because "that's too dangerous to let you on an airplane with whatever you want to bring".
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by roberino
At least Air Canada is better than British Airways. We told them we were going on our honeymoon (we actually were) and they honoured the occasion by delaying us by 24 hours, losing my bag and refusing to recompense us, find us a hotel or pay for the taxi fare to get somewhere we could stay.

And then there was the BA comedian who told us we would make the connection at LHR if we ran. The flight had left over an hour beforehand.
Yikes. I feel for ya!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
That will be really embarrassing the day you find a check-in agent who can read Chinese.
On the other hand, who carries their marriage certificate around with them everywhere in the hope of free upgrades?

I wish FT had hashtags. #shady comes to mind...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Same here for Las Vegas. Never thought to try it anywhere else.
I only ever tried it in Atlantic City once, at the Showboat, and got a minimal upgrade (bigger room same category). Other places I've tried it (Metropolis, IL and North Kansas City) have refused the tip.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
....China Airlines blocked an entire row of 4 Y seats TPE-HNL on ours and brought us back champers and and J meals when we told them.
Before you ask, I used miles for J for YYZ-TPE and HNL-YYZ, but there was no direct flights from TPE-HNL so we had to pay for Y on that leg.

Who carries their marriage certificate with them?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
On the other hand, who carries their marriage certificate around with them everywhere in the hope of free upgrades?

I wish FT had hashtags. #shady comes to mind...
If I was guaranteed of an upgrade I'd carry that sucker around with me everywhere!!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
If I was guaranteed of an upgrade I'd carry that sucker around with me everywhere!!
+1
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Who carries their marriage certificate with them?
I don't even know where mine is. And there's no way for me to find out because if I ask my wife she'll get upset that I "never remember these things."
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shuigao
I don't even know where mine is. And there's no way for me to find out because if I ask my wife she'll get upset that I "never remember these things."
Oh she has them. Just ask her.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
I can confirm getting a honeymoon upgrade, albeit on a very light travel day and through a travel agent (BWI-LAS on 12/25/99, maybe HP?) and we really were on our honeymoon. I just asked the GA to seat us together, and she did (in 2D/F). My first F (and my first B of an ex-wife as it turned out).

My other favorite myth is that PreCheck means I don't have to undergo screening at the airport. When I explain the program to dullards, they don't believe me because "that's too dangerous to let you on an airplane with whatever you want to bring".
Every few years one of the semi-news sites seems to run that as a story. "Rich one-percenters junior business analysts at Accenture get the privilege to skip airport security to stand in a shorter line and keep their shoes on—click here to be outraged!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.