Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite travel myths?

What are your favorite travel myths?

Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
"I travel for work" when one doesn't ever leave the hotel/office
But that's what most traveling for work entails...

Unless you follow the "I'm a traveller, not a tourist" school of thought, which I do not agree with at all.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Business travelers (esp international) are out there "living the life" while the spouse and kids get stuck at home. We're all heavy drinkers that go out partying with clients and work associates while we're on the road.

-YES it's true that my husband gets more than his fair share of housework while I'm gone, but my family actually travels more due to my miles.
-YES I do take my clients out to dinner, but there is NO partying involved.
-The only piece that might be true is the drinking, even though I know not all of us do. I just can't pass up the free booze in the lounge and on the plane..
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
That if you say you're on your honeymoon that they'll upgrade you to business class.

That doesn't work on Air Canada for sure. Huge myth.
But it will get you free drinks.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Every dollar I spend on my credit card gets me 20 cents back because I saw a flight once that was $xx,000 and the award chart says I can get it for only yyy,yyy miles.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
I can attest from personal experience that this isn't a myth. I always tip the check in clerk and always get some sort of upgrade. But it's only ever worked in Vegas.
Same here for Las Vegas. Never thought to try it anywhere else.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
That if you say you're on your honeymoon that they'll upgrade you to business class.

That doesn't work on Air Canada for sure. Huge myth.
I was on a 30 day private tour and the name of the tour for my husband, myself, guide and driver had the name honeymoon in it. For some reason they thought we were on our honeymoon. We were upgraded and feted everywhere. The embarrassing highlight was when our guide told us to dress nicely for dinner because you never know what might happen.

As the dinner wore on we heard a band start to play in the kitchen area with singing and drummers... people started to emerge from behind the scenes and a huge group of 25 band folks in national dress started to come out. I said to my husband "please don't let them be coming for us". Sure enough they were. They made us stand up and dance with them and come up on stage. They all wished us well and gave us a cake with happy honeymoon on it and a present. An Asian group of tourists nearby squeezed through the tables and started taking photos of us as if we were Brad and Angelina! We were wished many happy years together and many happy babies in numerous speeches. I said to my husband after this huge fanfare to not ever admit we were not on our honeymoon as they went to so much trouble.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by airmotive
The Kettle battle cry..."I'M NEVER FLYING THIS AIRLINE AGAIN!"
(If, on your next trip, that airline is $2 cheaper, you will fly it.)
I love that. You see it the tv airline shows where they moan about missing a flight on some cheapo airline that has 1 flight a day and they complain in bewilderment as to why they can't depart that day.

I also love it when they say to the Air Buckalow ground staff "I have a very important meeting because I am such an important person in my company". If you were that important why would you be travelling via the cheapest and often longest option!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The French hate Americans and are purposefully rude to them.

You'll always be delayed if you fly through O'Hare.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I was on a 30 day private tour and the name of the tour for my husband, myself, guide and driver had the name honeymoon in it. For some reason they thought we were on our honeymoon. We were upgraded and feted everywhere. The embarrassing highlight was when our guide told us to dress nicely for dinner because you never know what might happen.

As the dinner wore on we heard a band start to play in the kitchen area with singing and drummers... people started to emerge from behind the scenes and a huge group of 25 band folks in national dress started to come out. I said to my husband "please don't let them be coming for us". Sure enough they were. They made us stand up and dance with them and come up on stage. They all wished us well and gave us a cake with happy honeymoon on it and a present. An Asian group of tourists nearby squeezed through the tables and started taking photos of us as if we were Brad and Angelina! We were wished many happy years together and many happy babies in numerous speeches. I said to my husband after this huge fanfare to not ever admit we were not on our honeymoon as they went to so much trouble.
I was more talking about the line about where it doesn't work on Air Canada as they have audits for this sort of stuff and the person doing the upgrade would be fired.

I should have been more clear, sorry. But cool story though
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
Business travelers (esp international) are out there "living the life" while the spouse and kids get stuck at home. We're all heavy drinkers that go out partying with clients and work associates while we're on the road.

-YES it's true that my husband gets more than his fair share of housework while I'm gone, but my family actually travels more due to my miles.
-YES I do take my clients out to dinner, but there is NO partying involved.
-The only piece that might be true is the drinking, even though I know not all of us do. I just can't pass up the free booze in the lounge and on the plane..
+1

and most people don't understand that when you are doing all that "fun stuff", sometimes you'd rather be at home reading to a little one or cuddling with your spouse or just in the hotel catching up on sleep. Life is full of trade offs, and if your family gets to travel as a result of your business travel that's as it should be, but it's still a trade off.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by airmotive
The Kettle battle cry..."I'M NEVER FLYING THIS AIRLINE AGAIN!"
(If, on your next trip, that airline is $2 cheaper, you will fly it.)
That one is great. I am also a fan of: "Air travel is dangerous"
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA
"The delay in departure will be only 15 minutes."
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:11 am

The Honeymoon story is true for my wife and I albeit from the days when one used a travel agent to book flights.

We were sitting at the gate on for our BA flight to Paris and I was asked to return to the desk. The GA took my economy boarding cards and tore them up BEFORE telling me we'd been upgraded to business. After I'd recovered from the shock, I could see his screen and it said 'honeymooners'. Looks like the Travel Agent ahead told them.

Last edited by FlipGFlop; Jul 28, 2015 at 7:11 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I was more talking about the line about where it doesn't work on Air Canada as they have audits for this sort of stuff and the person doing the upgrade would be fired.
At least Air Canada is better than British Airways. We told them we were going on our honeymoon (we actually were) and they honoured the occasion by delaying us by 24 hours, losing my bag and refusing to recompense us, find us a hotel or pay for the taxi fare to get somewhere we could stay.

And then there was the BA comedian who told us we would make the connection at LHR if we ran. The flight had left over an hour beforehand.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
"The delay in departure will be only 15 minutes."
This one actually made me laugh out loud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.