What are your favorite travel myths?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
That if you say you're on your honeymoon that they'll upgrade you to business class.

That doesn't work on Air Canada for sure. Huge myth.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Anything that lets me use my UR points
As a recent college grad, I hear a lot of my friends complain that they can't rent a car because they're under 25 (or that it's too expensive) without even bothering to explore their options.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Wasko
As a recent college grad, I hear a lot of my friends complain that they can't rent a car because they're under 25 (or that it's too expensive) without even bothering to explore their options.
Actually, with some corporate rates, there is a provision in there to allow for car rentals under 25. So their options are even easier to find
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:45 pm

"You're travelling to (pick one: Turkey, Morocco, India, Oman, UAE, etc., etc.)? Aren't you scared?". I laugh, because I picture some mother in a place like Beirut saying, "You're going to (pick one: Chicago, New York, L.A., Detroit, etc.)? Do you know how many people are shot there? Aren't you scared?".
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
My relative who is not into this hobby: "You can do the points thing because you're good with math and I'm not." lol, whatever.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
My relative who is not into this hobby: "You can do the points thing because you're good with math and I'm not." lol, whatever.
Bahahahaha
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:39 pm

Here are some Travel Myths that I have heard

1 . Your Visa Credit Card will allow you to enter any country in the world and would override the Visa application process.

2. All seats in Coach are the same no matter where you are(hint hint some with less legroom).

3. The Hotel Front Desk Agent has the final say about upgrades(find the e-mail address of the General Manager by reading reviews online and kindly state your requests and ask for an upgrade).

4. Connecting through JFK is cheaper when flying international from Europe to San Francisco

5. Your home car keys will work in a Rental Car.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:16 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Travel to New Mexico requires a Passport--since its a foreign destination.
[Over in the T/S section on FT, there are instances where some TSA agents seem to believe this "myth".]
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
The Kettle battle cry..."I'M NEVER FLYING THIS AIRLINE AGAIN!"
(If, on your next trip, that airline is $2 cheaper, you will fly it.)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Non Traveller to experienced traveller - "just get traveller's insurance.. it covers you for everything".
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
"If you're travelling for work then surely you get business class."
ROFLMAO
"Travel makes you interesting."
No. Travel might make you more interesting, but if you were a boring bar-steward to start with chances are you will still not qualify as "interesting".
"Ooh, you're going to [insert city name here] for work. How fascinating/vibrant/romantic/flashy!"
Not even close. Most "business" is done in places away from the sights, and most of mine seems to be in dull industrial estates at least an hour's journey from anything worth seeing. Les Ulis? Paris it ain't!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
translation = its complicated (and that is correct)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:40 am

Oh you're going to XYZ City (population +1 million) Do you know John Smith, he lives there!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
1) Best ways to get an upgrade are: wear a fancy suit, make nice with the agent, celebrating a special occasion like your honeymoon (what happens if everyone on the plane wears a suit?)

2) <insert day here> is the best day to book airfare because that's when airlines offer their cheapest prices (airline websites would crash if everyone tries to book on a certain day)

3) <insert airline here> is the world's best airline (very subjected)

4) Everyone books airfare on price only; onboard service and product don't matter. (so why are the US3 so afraid of the ME3?)

5) Bag fees/change fees/fuel surcharges are required to avoid losing money (Southwest doesn't have any of those fees and they are consistently profitable)
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austin787
Everyone books airfare on price only
'most' do, service is kind of separate and a cycle between supplier/consumer

Originally Posted by Austin787
Bag fees/change fees/fuel surcharges are required
isnt it that they are very profitable, rather than "required" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.