Reload this Page >

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by sethb
If you're not ready to walk, don't get in the aisle and block people who are.

I can empty a plane in under half the usual time by changing the protocol.
Tinkle or get off the pot
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sasohal
A little off topic, but I am Plat. Med. on Delta so I had to post it here - And to add to some AA comments a page back - I was on a quick flight from NYC-DTW on an AA CRJ seated towards the back (the AA fare was I think half what Delta was charging so had to go with the "cheaper" of the 2).

So upon touchdown, taxing up, and finally hearing the seatbelt ding, I do what I naturally do as a delta flyer, I get up and start to unload the OB, but much to my astonishment, no one else in economy got up- literally no one. I actually thought I was doing something wrong. So I slowly sat back down and just watched other passengers just sit wait. Now the first class cabin was of course all standing up and all had grabbed their bags down from the bins and once the last 1st-class passenger deplaned, the economy comfort (or what ever AA calls it) got up and grabbed their bags, and so on, until finally it was my turn.

I couldn't believe how civilized these AA passengers were. I hadn't flown AA in a couple years and of course living in southeast Michigan, Delta is where my loyalty lies, but man, it was something I will remember for a while.

my 2 cents - My perfect airline would consists of having United's boarding process, delta's planes, AA deplaning process (the one I witnessed), and Alaska Air point redemption haha - just a random thought that occurred
I believe they should exit in the same order as they board: F and DM leave first, followed by PM, GM, SM, then the no status types.

Much better all around.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
I believe they should exit in the same order as they board: F and DM leave first, followed by PM, GM, SM, then the no status types.

Much better all around.
Delta can't even enforce this during BOARDING. Good luck enforcing it during deplaning. I really wish Delta would enforce boarding zones during boarding, but if I'm up front in Y, I'm not waiting for DMs to deplane from the back. This is just ridiculous. If I'm in the 2L row in Y on the 757, and we're deplaning out 2L, I head out the door before waiting for first class to make their way back and head out first.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 24, 2015 at 9:35 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
FC should deplane first, than Y+, than the kettles in Y. Keep it simple.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:57 pm

Much better all around.
I disagree with this- if someone is has higher status than me but I am sitting EC and they are sitting several rows behind me, I am not waiting for the PM or DM. If that makes me a DYKWIA so be it.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Delta can't even enforce this during BOARDING. Good luck enforcing it during deplaning. I really wish Delta would enforce boarding zones during boarding, but if I'm up front in Y, I'm not waiting for DMs to deplane from the back. This is just ridiculous. If I'm in the 2L row in Y on the 757, and we're deplaning out 2L, I head out the door before waiting for first class to make their way back and head out first.
It is simply amazing that some people do not get the concept of sarcasm.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah. Now if only someone would invent something to use on the internet to help convey sarcasm then. You know, something like or or
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sasohal
A little off topic, but I am Plat. Med. on Delta so I had to post it here - And to add to some AA comments a page back - I was on a quick flight from NYC-DTW on an AA CRJ seated towards the back (the AA fare was I think half what Delta was charging so had to go with the "cheaper" of the 2).

So upon touchdown, taxing up, and finally hearing the seatbelt ding, I do what I naturally do as a delta flyer, I get up and start to unload the OB, but much to my astonishment, no one else in economy got up- literally no one. I actually thought I was doing something wrong. So I slowly sat back down and just watched other passengers just sit wait. Now the first class cabin was of course all standing up and all had grabbed their bags down from the bins and once the last 1st-class passenger deplaned, the economy comfort (or what ever AA calls it) got up and grabbed their bags, and so on, until finally it was my turn.

I couldn't believe how civilized these AA passengers were. I hadn't flown AA in a couple years and of course living in southeast Michigan, Delta is where my loyalty lies, but man, it was something I will remember for a while.
Actually this has been default behavior of passengers on Delta Shuttle flights between LAX and SFO that I've been on. The aircraft are Embraer 175 operated by Compass and the passengers on board deplane as you described above.

This is in contrast to LAX-SFO flights on WN and VX which are more of the typical free-for-all.

(And what you saw in AA isn't systemwide. Deplaning on any AA flights to or from South America tend to be chaotic too.)
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peter T.
Actually this has been default behavior of passengers on Delta Shuttle flights between LAX and SFO that I've been on. The aircraft are Embraer 175 operated by Compass and the passengers on board deplane as you described above.

This is in contrast to LAX-SFO flights on WN and VX which are more of the typical free-for-all.

(And what you saw in AA isn't systemwide. Deplaning on any AA flights to or from South America tend to be chaotic too.)
I find there's a big difference on whether or not I'm going TO or FROM a hub. When I land at the hub, I find it's often a mad-dash to get off the plane, with people from the back running up to the front. So many passengers either do have or think they have a tight connection. OTOH, when I land at the spoke station, fewer people seem to be in a rush to get off the plane.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:13 am

Ah. Now if only someone would invent something to use on the internet to help convey sarcasm then. You know, something like or or
The initial suggestion was ridiculous on its face. If someone needs to recalibrate their BS detector that badly, then there is no hope for them.

I thought I was dealing with a crowd that was better than that.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJCobol
I'm 6'3", so after 2+ hours sitting in tiny coach seats having my knees bashed in by the person in front of me, I just want to stand up. I'm not trying to rush past the people in front of me to get off the plane, but just let me stand up and stretch a little bit.
fair enough, I am right at 6'3" too. You make a good point. When I took the niece and nephew to the beach I was able to stretch in to their unused leg room area, had I not, I suppose I would have jumped up to stretch too.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:03 am

Which is fine. But what kills me is when people do absolutely nothing to get ready to go, and when the person in front of them finally begins walking, only then do they even START getting their things together, including (particularly) doing things they could have easily done while still sitting in their seat or standing in the aisle waiting - putting their books and Ipads away, folding their jacket, etc. The person in front of them manages to walk the entire length of the aisle and get off the plane and they're still trying to get their stuff together. Drives me nuts. Just because you don't have anywhere to be doesn't mean people behind you don't as well.
Fine as well, but what kills me is the guy/gal that blocks the aisle for the for the row of seats in front of him/her and then acts annoyed that they are not ready to deplane. He is part of the overall problem.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:08 am

Perhaps folks didn't catch the sarcasm because your sarcastic suggestion really isn't farfetched from what some DM's think should happen.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
Fine as well, but what kills me is the guy/gal that blocks the aisle for the for the row of seats in front of him/her and then acts annoyed that they are not ready to deplane. He is part of the overall problem.
Aside from the annoyed part, I actually will block those from behind because I have been stuck in a window before where the inconsiderate db's in the rows behind pushed forward, nor allowing those inside the row to exit.

If I sit aisle, I will get up, grab my crap, and leave as much space for seat mates to push in to the aisle. If I know which bag they had, I will offer to pull it down.

I think this is common courtesy.

In my view it is rude to be in the aisle and not have the backs of the window/middle folks in your row. (Unless they were pure ares during the flight-which has happened )
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Tinkle or get off the pot
When the seat belt light goes off, some people get into the aisle. They must take their bags down. (If they put their bags someplace they can't reach them, they have to leave the aisle.)

When the door opens, everybody in the aisle just walks off the plane. Do not stop to let someone go in front of you.

Look at it from the viewpoint of the doorway: at any given time, either there is a person going through or a gap. When enough people have gone through, the plane is empty. The total time taken is the time for all the people plus all the gaps, therefore we want to minimize gaps.

Gaps are created when the person at the front of the line stops moving. Whether that's to take down the bags he put 15 rows ahead of him, or to let someone slowly climb into the aisle and then get down their bags, doesn't matter. Creating gaps slows the plane emptying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.