Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Proper Etiquette to Leaving an Airplane for the Most Efficient Deplaning

A little off topic, but I am Plat. Med. on Delta so I had to post it here - And to add to some AA comments a page back - I was on a quick flight from NYC-DTW on an AA CRJ seated towards the back (the AA fare was I think half what Delta was charging so had to go with the "cheaper" of the 2).

So upon touchdown, taxing up, and finally hearing the seatbelt ding, I do what I naturally do as a delta flyer, I get up and start to unload the OB, but much to my astonishment, no one else in economy got up- literally no one. I actually thought I was doing something wrong. So I slowly sat back down and just watched other passengers just sit wait. Now the first class cabin was of course all standing up and all had grabbed their bags down from the bins and once the last 1st-class passenger deplaned, the economy comfort (or what ever AA calls it) got up and grabbed their bags, and so on, until finally it was my turn.

I couldn't believe how civilized these AA passengers were. I hadn't flown AA in a couple years and of course living in southeast Michigan, Delta is where my loyalty lies, but man, it was something I will remember for a while.

my 2 cents - My perfect airline would consists of having United's boarding process, delta's planes, AA deplaning process (the one I witnessed), and Alaska Air point redemption haha - just a random thought that occurred
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
I usually just wait til you guys get into it, and then slide by while you are working it out.
Wouldn't work with me because I don't wait around to argue
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sasohal
A little off topic, but I am Plat. Med. on Delta so I had to post it here - And to add to some AA comments a page back - I was on a quick flight from NYC-DTW on an AA CRJ seated towards the back (the AA fare was I think half what Delta was charging so had to go with the "cheaper" of the 2).

So upon touchdown, taxing up, and finally hearing the seatbelt ding, I do what I naturally do as a delta flyer, I get up and start to unload the OB, but much to my astonishment, no one else in economy got up- literally no one. I actually thought I was doing something wrong. So I slowly sat back down and just watched other passengers just sit wait. Now the first class cabin was of course all standing up and all had grabbed their bags down from the bins and once the last 1st-class passenger deplaned, the economy comfort (or what ever AA calls it) got up and grabbed their bags, and so on, until finally it was my turn.

I couldn't believe how civilized these AA passengers were. I hadn't flown AA in a couple years and of course living in southeast Michigan, Delta is where my loyalty lies, but man, it was something I will remember for a while.

my 2 cents - My perfect airline would consists of having United's boarding process, delta's planes, AA deplaning process (the one I witnessed), and Alaska Air point redemption haha - just a random thought that occurred
Doesn't AS have a rule that you can't use more than one partner on a single award ticket? That makes AS miles much less useful for those who like to explore creative routings and different carriers or even just people who can't find good domestic connecting flights on AS metal.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Haha, Fantasy Fly Team.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond

So be the guy who starts it on Delta. I do that all the time.

Generally I like the back of first. Everyone jumps up, I just sit. Assuming 4 or 5 rows, row 2 and 3 move. Then my row. I slowly grab my bag and get up. Generally the guy/gal in first row of coach will wait and let me up, even if he could have gone. Sometimes they keep moving, and if so, who cares? It's a bit inconsiderate but within 4 or 5 people I can get off. I usually pass the people in the jetway or in the gate area - long legs. I figure the inconsiderates are the same people that drive in the left lane.

I took my niece and nephew to the beach not long a go. I was happy to see that AA-type behavior on my flight. We were in middle of coach. W t f is the hurry anyway? We are talking seconds in the amount of time saved by standing early.

It is truly amazing how much stress is removed from the travel experience by checking a bag, waiting as long as possible to board, sitting in your seat until it's your turn to get up/off. Generally speaking, most larger airports have the bag waiting on me by the time I am off the plane. DFW is about a 5-7 minute wait after I get to baggage. Very worth it.

Last edited by misinfobuster; Jul 23, 2015 at 6:42 pm Reason: adding spaces between w, t and f...
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by misinfobuster
W t f is the hurry anyway? We are talking seconds in the amount of time saved by standing early.
I'm 6'3", so after 2+ hours sitting in tiny coach seats having my knees bashed in by the person in front of me, I just want to stand up. I'm not trying to rush past the people in front of me to get off the plane, but just let me stand up and stretch a little bit.
jebr, rickg523 and Giantlonglegs like this.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by DJCobol
I'm 6'3", so after 2+ hours sitting in tiny coach seats having my knees bashed in by the person in front of me, I just want to stand up. I'm not trying to rush past the people in front of me to get off the plane, but just let me stand up and stretch a little bit.
I don't mind this. It's when people start filling the aisle with their luggage such that no one else can stretch or use the aisle otherwise, I become annoyed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DJCobol
^^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

I'm a little surprised by that. I fly both AA and DL frequently and haven't noticed much of a difference.

BTW, I'm 5'6, but after two hours on a plane, even I want to get up and stretch! Given the new seats coming, that statement will soon apply to my 42" children.

Mike
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
I don't mind this. It's when people start filling the aisle with their luggage such that no one else can stretch or use the aisle otherwise, I become annoyed.
It's when people block the aisle without taking their luggage down that I get annoyed. They're unnecessarily slowing down everybody else's exit.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sethb
It's when people block the aisle without taking their luggage down that I get annoyed. They're unnecessarily slowing down everybody else's exit.
+1.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Originally Posted by sethb
+1.
+2
Be ready to go when it's your turn to go.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
+2
Be ready to go when it's your turn to go.
I typically am, but it's hard to get ready when I can't even step out momentarily to get bags in ready position (one on my lap and the overhead ready to pull out)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
I typically am, but it's hard to get ready when I can't even step out momentarily to get bags in ready position (one on my lap and the overhead ready to pull out)
Which is fine. But what kills me is when people do absolutely nothing to get ready to go, and when the person in front of them finally begins walking, only then do they even START getting their things together, including (particularly) doing things they could have easily done while still sitting in their seat or standing in the aisle waiting - putting their books and Ipads away, folding their jacket, etc. The person in front of them manages to walk the entire length of the aisle and get off the plane and they're still trying to get their stuff together. Drives me nuts. Just because you don't have anywhere to be doesn't mean people behind you don't as well.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you're not ready to walk, don't get in the aisle and block people who are.

I can empty a plane in under half the usual time by changing the protocol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.