Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you sign your credit cards so that it won't smudge?

Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:46 pm
swy
Original Poster

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril

Are there pens that you would recommend? Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I sign mine "ASK FOR ID."
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

I don't sign mine and very seldom does anyone even look at the back of the card
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA
ultra fine tip sharpie and let it dry before putting it in my wallet

Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by theshaun
ultra fine tip sharpie and let it dry before putting it in my wallet

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-37001W...ne+tip+sharpie
Agree with this, sharpie pens are the best ones I have found
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Sharpie or ball point and let it dry. Drying before putting the card in a wallet is key.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by mike2200
Because most credit card transactions in Europe are Chip/PIN I was amazed on a recent US visit at the cavalier attitude of merchants to card security. Taking my card and returning it with the transaction slip with no signature check is just asking for fraud.

I understand mike2200's point but I think you risk refusal of compensation for fraudulent use if the issuer discovers a card with no signature
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by farci
Because most credit card transactions in Europe are Chip/PIN I was amazed on a recent US visit at the cavalier attitude of merchants to card security. Taking my card and returning it with the transaction slip with no signature check is just asking for fraud.

I understand mike2200's point but I think you risk refusal of compensation for fraudulent use if the issuer discovers a card with no signature
Most people sign absolutely unreadable on the cards plus the discussed smudges makes the signature hard to read and even harder to compare/verify. Next, I find it quite hard to always sign the same way so I guess if you compare all my credit cards you would probably call me a fraud - add in the variance on the receipts... Not a convincing way to make sure the card holder is actually present.

The only thing which would make sense is to make an ID check like in many European countries if you don't have a PIN.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:20 am

How do I sign it? Carefully, with a good-quality ballpoint pen, preferably with a thin nib, and I allow the signature to dry before handling the card. It seems to work OK.

The signature seems to be rarely looked at these days, especially with the advent of chip-and-pin and so on, so I have wondered what would happen if I signed "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" or even "Mary Poppins", but I haven't ever done that....
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by farci
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2200

I understand mike2200's point but I think you risk refusal of compensation for fraudulent use if the issue discovers a card with no signature
Signing a card you risk loss/theft of a card with your signature on it. When I sign a receipt I scribble a signature have even just put an X with no question asked by the sales person
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:52 pm

Wow. Signing the back of a credit card. In cursive, I suppose. Only in America!
(Note: this is intended to be lighthearted, not a criticism of anyone/thing in particular. But even Africa has gone so far beyond this.)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
By the end of the year, we're supposed to be on the chip system. Even my bank debit card has one now. I imagine the days of signing cards are over.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
How quaint. Have you tried a quill and ink?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
By the end of the year, we're supposed to be on the chip system. Even my bank debit card has one now. I imagine the days of signing cards are over.
Nope, most chip cards in the US will be chip and signature 😓. We'll still be behind the times
Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:17 pm

Staedtler permanent fine point marker (the one used for slides before the advent of powerpoint).
Not that anyone ever look at the signature, as said above: In Europe its useless, in the US nobody cares neither...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.