Reload this Page >

The weirdest message you've ever heard on a plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The weirdest message you've ever heard on a plane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:23 am

I once flew from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to Jeddah. About 30 minutes before landing, there was a prerecorded announcement speaking beautifully crisp British English, yet with content that would be completely incomprehensible to any non-Muslim:

"We have now entered miqat. Umrah pilgrims should don ihram and recite talbiyah."

I later on found out that the flight path passes within the 6-mi sacred boundary around Mecca (miqat), so this was telling any visitors doing the "lesser pilgrimage" (umrah) that they need to put on their pilgrimage garments (ihram) and reciting the prayers that officially start the pilgrimage (talbiyah). (As an aside, non-Muslims are not allowed within the boundary, so flying overhead is the closest a kafir like me will ever get.)

Last edited by jpatokal; Jul 18, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Nickolash27
After a missed approach on TG at BKK: "Ladies and gentlemen, I do apologise for the unexpected go-around. I made a mistake".
I love it!

Originally Posted by Arsey00
A few years back:

While we don't care what you do with your blueberries and raspberries, please stop playing with your apples and blackberries now.
Brilliant.

The other day I had a YYZ-YVR flight, the first 5 rows on the #1 side were asked not to eat nuts, I just found it odd that no one on the #2 was told the same.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:18 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Efrem
AA had commuter flights to the Worcester, Mass., airport from New York (JFK? Don't recall, doesn't matter) for a while several years back. On one of the early ones, the FA started the preflight announcement with "Welcome to American Eagle flight [whatever] from JFK to ..." At that point she stopped and began to mumble "Wor-sess-ter?" Finally she looked at us and asked us how to pronounce it, assuming that anyone who wanted to be there probably had some idea of where they were going. We replied, in chorus, "WISS-tah!" (more or less). From that point on, every time she needed to use the destination city in an announcement, she just pointed at us with both hands (like the way they point out emergency exits at the rear) and waited for us to chime in. It worked.
Good thing Gloucesterdoesn't have an airport.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:07 am

STL > DEN, once at cruising altitude from the cockpit: "For those of you on the left side of the airplane you can look out and see...Kansas. For those of you on the right side of the airplane you can look out and see...Kansas."
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:32 am

The only time I've experienced a go-around was at KEF on Icelandair. The captain announced "We felt that the approach parameters didn't conform to our usual high standards so we've decided to try again."
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:42 am

While we don't care what you do with your blueberries and raspberries, please stop playing with your apples and blackberries now.
Have they never heard of Raspberry Pi?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
"Due to a failure in the primary cabin pressurization value we can't risk continuing for another 9 hours to Hong Kong on the back-up valve so will have to divert back to Anchorage." Or words to that effect from a Capt. on a recent DL flight SEA-HKG flight that was planned to be nonstop.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: US Gold
If you haven't heard it, I recommend George Carlin's dissection of airline announcements. After you've heard that, they *all* sound ridiculous.

wg
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
When I was an FA I was no doubt responsible for some of those crazy messages - I would routinely sing my announcements as well (and no, I wasn't on Southwest ).

One that always got quite the chuckle was, while taxiing to the gate:

"We love you, you love us,
we are faster than the bus -
If you liked our brand of hospitality
Marry one of us and fly for free!"
Old Jul 18, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: Uh, I think I got an extra packet of peanuts once.
Originally Posted by Bastien003
Just flew Copenhagen to Doha with QR.
Whilst on board we have been told that "because of a passenger highly allergic to nuts, we will ask other passengers not to eat any nuts on the aircraft"

What is the weirdest message you ever heard?
You obviously haven't flown into or out of MCO in the past few years. With the million children who vacation at Disney World and the rapidly-burgeoning peanut allergy, it's a common announcement.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
A few years back:

I've heard this a couple of times on B6
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I've heard this a couple of times on B6
I was going to say it sounds very WN like.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AP 50k
My flight from MSP to YUL on DL was full of eventful announcements the other day:

1) "welcome to Toronto, where the local time is 10:46 (was actually 11:46)"
2) after we parked at the gate: "All rise!"
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

The whole peanut announcement isn't unusual or crazy. I just think that if I had a kid who was so allergic that they couldn't inhale airborne particles of nuts, I wouldn't get on a plane with them. Very limiting though!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
"Due to the unexpected arrival of our departure time, we are now experiencing an on-time delay."
I love this!

Originally Posted by Jamarynn1
You obviously haven't flown into or out of MCO in the past few years. With the million children who vacation at Disney World and the rapidly-burgeoning peanut allergy, it's a common announcement.
Strangely, as someone with a more-severe-than-averge peanut allergy, I have never heard the announcement (nor asked for one to be made).

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 19, 2015 at 2:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.