Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA

Wrote a three star review for a three star experience at a VRBO property five night stay in Italy. The owners had subbed out management during the period we were there and the woman they left in charge was an absolute disaster (this wasn't a flat...it was more of a small resort on Lake Como).

After reading my review, the owner emailed and apologized for the poor service we received from their sub, said they rarely take time off from the business but did during the week we were there to accompany their daughter to a sporting event, and offered a full refund...if I would take down the review, stating that a 3 star review (especially from a senior reviewer) would really hurt their small business.

On the one hand, I feel like it was a fair but honest review based on my experience.

On the other, it was clearly a bit of an outlier experience, as every other review refers to the owners/host as the gem of the property.

Unless, of course, they bribe all bad reviewers to take down their less-than 4* review....

We're talking 1300 euros.

Would you take the 'bribe?'
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:56 pm

Yes I would
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
Interesting conundrum. What I would expect in this situation is for the owners to make a public response to the review explaining publicly what they've explained to you in private.

I don't even see a way to delete my most recent reviewis it something that can easily be done?

I'd be a big fan of getting $1300 Euros back, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do this. Something just doesn't feel right.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Yes. It's not even a question. You weren't satisfied and they went above and beyond to make things right. You're not claiming to be a journalist or anything. Absolutely no moral reason not to do it.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by LizGross144

I don't even see a way to delete my most recent reviewis it something that can easily be done?
I checked. It's not obvious, but relatively simple after a little research.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would certainly take the EUR 1300 and take down the review. People settle disputes every day.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
yes, without any more thought. Everyone can have a bad day
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

$1300 euros? Yes absolutely I would accept that!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I have done this.

Prior to our trip to Alaska in 2014, I had booked a specific helicopter pilot a year in advance, and paid him a year in advance.

When the day came he met us and said the heli was down, waiting for a part, but he could get us on a float plane. We really had no interest in going on a float plane, but there was nothing else we wanted to do, so we let him take us to the plane, dropped us off, so it had apparently been pre-arranged.

We get back from the float plane, it was OK, just meh, and there were some sales guys asking everyone who came by about booking different tours. I made the comment that we had booked the heli but X pilot said it was down. He told us the that X had had been flying all morning. Clearly he had double booked.

I was pi$$ed. I went on Trip Advisor and told it exactly like it was. Very shortly I got call from X pilot begging me to take down the negative review. That my review would drop him way down since I was a senior reviewer. He would give me a full refund, but please take it down, that was how he supported his family blah, blah, blah.

I told him exactly how I felt about what he had done. That I had been looking forward to his tour for a year. That I loved the doors off heli we did in Honolulu, was extremely disappointed with him operating his business like that, and canceling a year long pre-paid booking.

In the end I did go on Trip Advisor and deleted my review. I didn't change it, I just deleted it, so I know they can be deleted.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
We're talking 1300 euros.
Would you take the 'bribe?'
I would. Perhaps the only ethical conondrum here is, "by removing my 3 star review it doesn't give the full picture to future guests," to which I would say screw it, 1300 euro more than makes up for it.

Two cases:
1. The owners are being honest. Future guests all get the owners managing the property and get a 4/5 star stay.
2. The owners are refunding EVERY <4 star review. Future guests who end up getting 'conned' by the fake reviews ... leave a poor review and get their stay refunded as well. So no harm done.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
I'll write a blatantly fake review of the place for that kind of money. Why should the travel bloggers get all the perks?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond

Would you do it for €500?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond

Not sure what came though but question should have read five hundred euros.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Three star, and they're willing to pay €1300 to have it taken down? Wow....

Do you mind sharing a redacted version of the review?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:18 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
For our sake refuse the refund. For your sake- take the money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.