Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you accept a full refund in exchange for taking down a TripAdvisor review?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:19 pm

All I can think of is that joke where, at a party a man asks a young woman if she would sleep with him for $1M. "For one million, yeah, I would sleep with you".

Later he asks her is she would sleep with him for $20. She huffed and said "What kind of a person do you think I am?" He replied "We both know what kind of person you are. We are just negotiating the price".

I would never take anything to provide a good review or take down a bad one, no matter what the offer. As a Top Contributor to T/A, I have written about 150 reviews - all my personal belief. My integrity is worth more than anything.

Based on the original posting, it sounds more like a bribe than an offer of compensation for a bad experience. Were I to believe that it was an offer SOLELY for a bad experience, then I would amend the review to mention that the owner was willing to make good on my experience, his not having had the opportunity to do so earlier. I would mention the amount of compensation and would probably rate the place a star higher but the original content would not change.

On T/A, the owner can post a reply and should have - mentioning the offer of a partial refund to compensate, not to bribe. That would make me, as a reader, reconsider the value of a bad review. Instead, by offering a bribe for removal, I would consider the owner to be dishonest.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
TO THE ABOVE POST:

I am also a Top Contributor to T/A. I have over 1,300 reviews. I would take the money (100% refund), pull the review, and not leave a good or bad review. I WOULD PULL IT. The owner of the property stated this was his/her first vacation/holiday for many years and the mistakes were made by a 3rd party fill-in. I give 100% honest reviews on TA and this sounds to me the owner is doing the right thing. What more than a 100% refund could the OP expect? TAKE THE $$$ AND PULL THE REVIEW!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd still like to see the review if you don't mind posting it, kokonutz.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Yes, I'd give the owner the benefit of the doubt. How did the previous reviews run?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
I have done this.

Prior to our trip to Alaska in 2014, I had booked a specific helicopter pilot a year in advance, and paid him a year in advance.

When the day came he met us and said the heli was down, waiting for a part, but he could get us on a float plane. We really had no interest in going on a float plane, but there was nothing else we wanted to do, so we let him take us to the plane, dropped us off, so it had apparently been pre-arranged.

We get back from the float plane, it was OK, just meh, and there were some sales guys asking everyone who came by about booking different tours. I made the comment that we had booked the heli but X pilot said it was down. He told us the that X had had been flying all morning. Clearly he had double booked.

I was pi$$ed. I went on Trip Advisor and told it exactly like it was. Very shortly I got call from X pilot begging me to take down the negative review. That my review would drop him way down since I was a senior reviewer. He would give me a full refund, but please take it down, that was how he supported his family blah, blah, blah.

I told him exactly how I felt about what he had done. That I had been looking forward to his tour for a year. That I loved the doors off heli we did in Honolulu, was extremely disappointed with him operating his business like that, and canceling a year long pre-paid booking.

In the end I did go on Trip Advisor and deleted my review. I didn't change it, I just deleted it, so I know they can be deleted.
Why did you delete it? Was your review untrue? Did the problem occur? Was your replacement experience as good as the one that you booked.

If it was me, I would have edited the TripAdviser review if I could to indicate that the owner tried to bribe you to change your review.

DON
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:49 am

kokonutz - I understand your feeling a little uncomfortable with a refund .
Why not try this - or some variation of it :
The owners offer you to stay there again for the same number of days , on their account , because last time bla bla ... If you will be suitably impressed , you will edit the old review , leaving what was , but explaining everything etc. etc. , in a way that someone could not just read the old bad part . This should satisfy all sides - just owners need to know they can trust you - would seem to be pretty basic though .
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
No

I'm just ornery that way. I'd wonder why they are so concerned about a three star review when all others are good and I'd wonder how many others they paid to take down. Also, I would have written that review in good faith to help other researchers, like me, make a decision. Bad karma to take it down. Next time out I get stuck in a hell hole that the owners paid off bad reviewers of.

Now, if they wanted to give me a free second visit to maybe change my mind I might be up for it. IF my mind had been changed.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
The OP

Originally Posted by kettle1
TO THE ABOVE POST:

I am also a Top Contributor to T/A. I have over 1,300 reviews. I would take the money (100% refund), pull the review, and not leave a good or bad review. I WOULD PULL IT. The owner of the property stated this was his/her first vacation/holiday for many years and the mistakes were made by a 3rd party fill-in. I give 100% honest reviews on TA and this sounds to me the owner is doing the right thing. What more than a 100% refund could the OP expect? TAKE THE $$$ AND PULL THE REVIEW!
could expect not to be bribed. If this were some one time problem it would show up in the reviews. There's not a place out there, no matter how other worldly wondeful, that doesn't have a low review or two because of a bad day, bad mood, or tropical storm.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by kokonutz
We've had several emails back and forth with the owner. I'm now of the opinion that this was indeed a one-off incident and have therefore accepted the refund offer and am removing the review from TripAdvisor.
Did you delete the review first or wait until you got the refund?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Sant
Did you delete the review first or wait until you got the refund?
Refund first. @:-)

FWIW, they originally offered another stay of the same length at no charge. But we're not going to be in the area anytime soon. That's when they offered the refund.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

Sounds like a deal to me.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: HH Silver
They should have offered a refund with no mention of altering the review. They have recourse in writing their own response to your review.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd have taken the money. Better than the standard, "we're so sorry we didn't meet your standards and next time we will strive to do better, blah blah spiel."
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:06 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by kettle1
TO THE ABOVE POST:

In return for cash, how is deleting the review any different from modifying it? In order to speak the truth, one has to speak the whole truth. If businesses can selectively pay to remove content, the integrity of the site is compromised. I am a bit surprised to see a top contributor suggesting this.

What I would do is leave the original review as is, but append a statement updating the reader on developments since it was posted.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
I would take the deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.