Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why are passport cards not more popular?

Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:07 pm

Works for entering/leaving Canada too or a variety of Caribbean islands by boat (and returning to the States afterwords) - Cuba and Haiti among a few others not included.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Card only valid instead of a passport for Mexico, correct?
It's valid for land or sea travel between canada and mexico.

But it's also useful as an ID card. You can show it to TSA when flying domestically. Or for any other purpose if you lose or surrender your driver's license.

For example, I had to surrender my driver's license to get a new license in a different state, and it was a week before I received my new ID. If I didn't have a passport card I'd be screwed if I needed an ID. (Or I'd have to carry my passport book around which is a pain)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
http://travel.state.gov/content/stud...ort-cards.html
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:46 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
http://travel.state.gov/content/stud...ort-cards.html

Originally Posted by US Department of State
The passport card is a wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings or ports-of-entry by sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's useful to use as an official photo ID that, unlike a driver's license, doesn't include your home address. For this purpose, it's probably better to use the passport card when possible rather than the regular passport book. GE cards unfortunately aren't always recognized as official government ID.
I didn't realize that it doesn't have your address on it. It would be nice to have a photo ID that doesn't. Traveling domestically comes to mind--most of the time I don't drive when I travel, so I could use the passport card in place of my DL. I will consider adding one when I renew.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
It was handy for me when I needed to fly domestically and my passport was with the NZ embassy. I didn't have a DL at the time.

I was happy to learn later that a passport card makes the process of replacing a lost passport somewhat easier.

It's also handy, to my moderately active imagination, to have certifiable proof of being a US citizen when out and about.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
The passport card is valid for land and sea crossing. So valid for border crossing to Mexico and Canada. If you are going on a cruise it can be used also. It is also another form of government issued ID that is not tied to a specific address.

We live 15 minutes from the Canadian border. The passport card is great since it can be carried in my wallet. I use it as my main form of ID whenever needed, including checking in for domestic flights.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
If you are going on a cruise it can be used also.
So long as the cruise only covers Mexico, Canada, the Bahamas and Bermuda. :-:
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
I suppose I consider that sufficiently an edge case for the vast majority of people that it remains mostly useless to me.

Definitely not useful enough to pay extra for it, at least for me.

Then again, I'm not really worried about being out and about in the USA if I lost my ID anyways.
Since it only costs $30 and is valid for 10 years, it's hard to argue how it's not worth getting it for that "edge case" where you need a backup ID.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I got one last year when I renewed my passport. For $30 I figured what the heck.

Never thought of using it the way the OP described. Interesting post and comments.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
One thing to think about with using the passport card for Canada/Mexico/cruises is that if something goes wrong and you suddenly have to fly home without a passport then it may be a bit more complicated. It does make a good alternative ID for other purposes and saves wear and tear on the passport.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

GE/NEXUS card more functional then passport card.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by seawolf
True, but these cost $100 or $50 versus $30 and are more hassle to obtain. They're also less likely to be recognized when attempting to use them as official photo ID.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
One thing to think about with using the passport card for Canada/Mexico/cruises is that if something goes wrong and you suddenly have to fly home without a passport then it may be a bit more complicated. It does make a good alternative ID for other purposes and saves wear and tear on the passport.
Yeah, if you're going internationally I would take the passport book (maybe with the card as a secondary) regardless, so if something goes wrong, or you just want to change plans you have the flexibility to do so.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Yeah, but I'm talking about something that applies to the majority of americans who travel. < 1% of americans are enrolled into trusted traveler programs, whereas pretty much everyone who travels a fair amount will have a passport, and a card comes w/ the passport with no additional effort and an insignificant ($3 / year) fee.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Since it only costs $30 and is valid for 10 years, it's hard to argue how it's not worth getting it for that "edge case" where you need a backup ID.
Well, $30 v $0 is still $30 more than I can imagine a scenario where it would be useful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.