Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When does a flight delay become an issue for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does a flight delay become an issue for you?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
So, I'm of the opinion that airlines should be using the relative delay values to measure their performance (if they don't do so already). These values should also be used for compensation claims, rather than ridiculous absolute values of 3 hours that are currently used (for EU compensation claims) - certainly for flights where the flying time is under 3 hours.
15 minute delay means you get compensation?????

There are exactly 2 instances when a delay becomes an issue for me.

When I am connecting to another flight and the delay threatens my connection.

When I am going home and a delay puts me into rush hour traffic getting home.

Flight delays are inevitable. Learn to deal with it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
If it adversely impacts me. I measure that by whether that means I'll miss a meeting, (infrequent or last of the day) connection, family event. I'm sure I can think of more things. If it primarily means I'll just get into my hotel or back home a couple hours later than I would have, or I have to stay over in a hotel with no impact to my critical meeting schedules, then no worries.
This. If the delay materially impacts me, I have a problem with it. Does it screw up a meeting, a travel connection, or cost me a significant fraction of a vacation? Those are real concerns. Otherwise, I'm chill.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
What if, what if? Did you know that "if" is the middle word in life?
nicely played
^^
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Delays don't bother me so long as the airline staff are behaving professionally, efficiently, and competently towards the passengers impacted.

Stuff happens...weather, mechanical, etc. As long as the airline is appropriately responding and addressing the situation as well as possible, I don't have an issue.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The root cause of the delay means everything to me. Weather or a genuine mechanical, you can't do much about. When I miss a connection because we can't get a gate, or the ground crew can't figure out to work the jetway, or other stupid human tricks, it's infuriating.

I was on United Express at a distant outstation a few weeks ago, trying to make a close hub connection, and a "short" maintenance delay became a long one because the mechanic couldn't get the paperwork right and had to drive back and forth between ramp and hanger to fix it, and was pretty nonchalant about it. Meanwhile my fellow passengers headed to FRA, SEA, IAH, you hame it are watching their itineraries melt down. That kind of thing is a BIG issue and contributes to the subjective impression that the airline doesn't care whether you get where you're going or not.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
To me it only becomes an issue if I'm going to miss something. A flight, plans, a ride, etc.

I'm usually very flexible with travel, so if a voluntary opportunity comes up, I'm almost always willing to take it. But when a flight is delayed and I miss a connection, I don't stress out, I know the airline has to deal with me, but it does cause problems for me. Last year I fell asleep on my flight from YVR-YEG (then on to YMM).

Woke up, we hadn't left the gate yet. I figured whatever, I nodded off for 5 minutes, happens all the time. Then I looked at the screen of the movie I was watching and saw it had run for like an hour. I thought maybe I had it on FF, nope, checked my phone, we had sat there for an hour. My connection was already missed, I only had about 45 minutes to connect.

Alright no big deal, sure I was supposed to be at work the next morning, but it's not like travel issues don't come up, they understand. Went to the desk, got rebooked for the AM, got my hotel voucher and my meal voucher for the hotel. I don't think I got any travel credit, though I'm starting to think I should've, so maybe I did and forgot. Spent the night in a very average hotel room and was on my merry way. Meanwhile people are freaking out, they're mad, they don't like the hotel, etc etc. My bag never came out at YEG so I went into that office which as usual is a bastion of people in good moods lol. So after the guy finished up with the angry people in front of me, he preps for me to freak out at him. I just said "hey man, my next flight was cancelled so my bag should've been offloaded but it didn't come out on the carousel". He took my tag and produced the bag in less than a minute. They had already put it aside.

I'm not sure if it's because I worked in the business so long, or if it's just cuz I'm a laid back easy to please person, but I don't let this stuff get to me. Luckily it doesn't happen very often, but IAH-YVR is full? You're gonna give me a hotel and $600 to fly tomorrow morning? Why not.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:10 pm

It depends. 3 hr weather delay in ORD and hoping that last flight out is not cancelled- Meah.
Being "stuck" in Rio extra 18 hrs with a Copacabana hotel voucher, cab fare, meals etc. really not too bad.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by jrl767
nicely played
^^
Thank you for noticing. Sometimes I feel like I post with invisible ink.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: DL plat, AS
It really depends on the type of delay and how it's handled. If it's a staffing issue and the airline doesn't rebook me on other carriers or do all they can to get me where I'm going, then I'll get annoyed. But if it's a real mechanical or safety issue I try to remember that I'm flying in a miles above the earth in a tube in the sky. Accidents are caused by things as small as a stripped screw.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not sure if it's because I worked in the business so long, or if it's just cuz I'm a laid back easy to please person, but I don't let this stuff get to me.
I'm eternally grateful for the 30 years in law enforcement, EMS, and emergency management. If someone's not actively trying to kill me, it's pretty hard to get my blood pressure up.
If no one's gonna die, it's not that big of a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.