Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Cancel 4th of July camping because of rain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz

I need my fellow travelers to think through a dilemma.

I'm going camping in Shenandoah National Park this 4th of July weekend, and I've started freaking out a bit because it looks like it's going to rain all weekend. This would be my 2nd time in the park, I love it, but I'm not sure if I'm up for spending three days in the rain. I'm camping, and I was planning on doing a couple of longer hikes (8-10 mi).... I looked into going camping elsewhere this weekend, but my search hasn't been very successful because 1. occasional thunderstorms are going to cover most of the mid-Atlantic this weekend and 2. it's kinda hard to get a camping reservation 4 days before a long weekend. I've thought of doing some indoor things in Charlottesville to stay out of the rain, but I just visited there a year ago and I've checked most of he main attractions off my list. The park isn't next door, but it's close enough and I'm sure I'll get another chance to visit.

Any advice? I'm debating whether I should cancel the whole thing, or go out there, and see how it goes.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Go. See how it goes. Some of the greatest times you'll ever have come when a plan *fails* to come together. 20 years from now you won't be talking about the camping trip you took where everything worked fine. But the time it rained and the tent sprung a leak and you sprained your ankle on a trail and the fire kept going out and you had to eat cold pork and beans from the can and .....

Your family will get sick of hearing that story. But you'll tell it again anyway.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Go. I thought it was going to rain all last weekend (during my long-planned 3-day weekend on the Eastern Shore) based on the forecasts just a few days out. In the event it was cloudy and rained a little bit on one day, then the weather was beautiful on the second and third days. Forecasts can change dramatically in a short time.

If it does rain you can always change plans midway through, drive somewhere else and stay in a hotel. The non-planned, serendipitous vacation can end up being the best kind.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:20 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The Weather Channel is showing Harrisonburg, VA., for next weekend as mostly dry, but cloudy, with scattered thunderstorms only on July 4. Of course that could improve or degrade between now and then....
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Folks, I ended up going and had a great time. Bit of rain, but nothing serious. Thanks for nudging me in the right direction.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GfL
Glad to hear it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.