Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Effects of delay/cancellation at U.S. origin city on trans-Pacific flight segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effects of delay/cancellation at U.S. origin city on trans-Pacific flight segment?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by burk
Do you book your domestic hotels in advance then? Weather delays could cause you to not be able to cancel in time if booked ahead of time.
I do book domestic hotels in advance, however I never book prepaid hotels.
Booking.com is a good tool for finding the area you want, in the city you are staying pre-international flight, and you can always find those that do not require pre-paid.

Also, if you book pretty much any of the hotel groups, and have their "membership" you can book with no pre-pay.

The problem with weather related flight cancellations down here is, when weather conditions in the North due to ice/snow happens, the same delay trickles down to us. Then of course we have the tropical storm, torrential rain then as we did a few weeks ago, and it pretty much shuts our airports down.

You definitely aren't overthinking.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Jul 3, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
If you've got the time and the money booking a short domestic vacation in your international departure city seems like a pretty neat idea.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the nice response. Several have mentioned scheduling like an overnight in San Fran, for example, and making it within the 24 hours allowed for connection allowed for international flights, etc.

I don't see how this would help if my concern is being delayed because of the snow in Sioux Falls. Any delay there would probably be more than a few hours delay, right? Like maybe a day or two or so? So, I don't see how draggign out the connecting flight at, say, SFO, would help.

Seems the best way would be to just book on the same airline the whole way and if delayed because of weather in Sioux Falls, they would have to figure out how to get you to Asia. Sure, might be some hotel cancellation necessary on the Asia end, i guess...and I guess stretching the connecting flight out at SFO ON THE SAME AIRLINE might give one a better chance if the snow delay was only a few hours, etc...
Do you know of the Sioux Falls airport closing for several days? My guess is that this doesn't happen very often. Once the snow stops falling fast, it doesn't take long with good equipment to open a runway, although wind can mean that it takes some effort to keep that runway open.

It's a much larger airport, but when MSP closes (very rarely) for snow, it seems to only last a few hours, until tthe snowplows get on top of the job. We have multiple runways, so they can alternate using one and plowing one.Of course this slows down the arrival and departure rate, but international flights, larger aircraft, and high yield business destinations are prioritized.

The padding at SFO would increase the chances that any rebooked trip would arrive into your Asian destination on the palnned day, thereby avoiding missing other commitments or playing for a hotel night in Asia that you won't be using. [IME USA chain airport hotels are fairly forgiving about cancellation fees when there are weather issues and flights are delayed or cancelled, but this assumes that one has not used a prepaid nonrefundable rate.]

You could skip the SFO stop and plan to drive to MSP for the DL nonstop to NRT and connect elsewhere in Asia from there.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: World Perks Southwest Frontier
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you know of the Sioux Falls airport closing for several days? My guess is that this doesn't happen very often. Once the snow stops falling fast, it doesn't take long with good equipment to open a runway, although wind can mean that it takes some effort to keep that runway open.

It's a much larger airport, but when MSP closes (very rarely) for snow, it seems to only last a few hours, until tthe snowplows get on top of the job. We have multiple runways, so they can alternate using one and plowing one.Of course this slows down the arrival and departure rate, but international flights, larger aircraft, and high yield business destinations are prioritized.

The padding at SFO would increase the chances that any rebooked trip would arrive into your Asian destination on the palnned day, thereby avoiding missing other commitments or playing for a hotel night in Asia that you won't be using. [IME USA chain airport hotels are fairly forgiving about cancellation fees when there are weather issues and flights are delayed or cancelled, but this assumes that one has not used a prepaid nonrefundable rate.]

You could skip the SFO stop and plan to drive to MSP for the DL nonstop to NRT and connect elsewhere in Asia from there.
Thanks for your insight and info. Greatly appreciated. The Twin Cities are great!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for your insight and info. Greatly appreciated. The Twin Cities are great!
If you drive to MSP, look for airport hotels that offer parking packages. If you book the night before and after your international trip, you would get 14 days of partking included, as well as shuttle service to/from airport (which means the light rail line to downtown) and often Mall of America (or you can shuttle to the airport and then take the light rail line to MOA).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

If you drive to MSP, look for airport hotels that offer parking packages. If you book the night before and after your international trip, you would get 14 days of partking included, as well as shuttle service to/from airport (which means the light rail line to downtown) and often Mall of America (or you can shuttle to the airport and then take the light rail line to MOA).
And will my car start when I arrive back at MSP? Or maybe they have covered parking?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:53 pm

And will my car start when I arrive back at MSP? Or maybe they have covered parking?
Unless you have an old clunker, no problem. Many places used to have the electrical hookup or heater "blankets" for cars in winter, but not they're not considered necessary in the MSP metro area. They seem to still be prevalent in rural areas and farther north. You just need to get your car winterized every fall (including checks of antifreeze, battery, perhaps a switch to lighter weight oil, etc.), use a heavy duty battery, and check that your windshield washer fluid is topped off with antifreeze solution. It's also good to have a AAA membership or something similar.

A few hotels would have covered or indoor parking (an exception is the new Raddison Blu--which IIRC charges extra for parking--attached to the Mall of America; another is the Westin Galleria in Edina, but it doesn't have an airport shuttle), but all of the longterm airport parking that I know consists of open lots. It's really not considered a problem here. The bigger nuisance of winter can be scraping ice off the windshied (and of course brushing all the snow off the car, which at least in MN is state law so that it doesn't blow onto another vehicle and blind the driver).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Unless you have an old clunker, no problem. Many places used to have the electrical hookup or heater "blankets" for cars in winter, but not they're not considered necessary in the MSP metro area. They seem to still be prevalent in rural areas and farther north. You just need to get your car winterized every fall (including checks of antifreeze, battery, perhaps a switch to lighter weight oil, etc.), use a heavy duty battery, and check that your windshield washer fluid is topped off with antifreeze solution. It's also good to have a AAA membership or something similar.

A few hotels would have covered or indoor parking (an exception is the new Raddison Blu--which IIRC charges extra for parking--attached to the Mall of America; another is the Westin Galleria in Edina, but it doesn't have an airport shuttle), but all of the longterm airport parking that I know consists of open lots. It's really not considered a problem here. The bigger nuisance of winter can be scraping ice off the windshied (and of course brushing all the snow off the car, which at least in MN is state law so that it doesn't blow onto another vehicle and blind the driver).
Much appreciate the info!!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
I don't see how this would help if my concern is being delayed because of the snow in Sioux Falls. Any delay there would probably be more than a few hours delay, right? Like maybe a day or two or so? So, I don't see how draggign out the connecting flight at, say, SFO, would help.
It wouldn't. Ignore the poster that said that.

Seems the best way would be to just book on the same airline the whole way and if delayed because of weather in Sioux Falls, they would have to figure out how to get you to Asia. Sure, might be some hotel cancellation necessary on the Asia end, i guess...and I guess stretching the connecting flight out at SFO ON THE SAME AIRLINE might give one a better chance if the snow delay was only a few hours, etc...
All you can do is book on the same carrier and have travel insurance to cover any delay (& costs) if the carrier does leave you stranded. And perhaps don't get too attached to travelling on the day you thought you might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.