Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Take a Bus for 5+ hours or wait 10+ hours for the next flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? Take a Bus for 5+ hours or wait 10+ hours for the next flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:41 pm

I am prone to severe motion sickness while on the road, so unless the bus service offered a significant time savings from waiting for another flight I would much rather wait. Chances are the airline doesn't have a bus and driver on standby in case of a cancellation, so they would have to first find a bus along with an available driver and get it to the airport, which could take several hours.

Additionally, many bus operators, even the more reputable ones, are notorious for various safety and maintenance issues. Unless I could verify the bus operator wasn't cutting corners, I would prefer to wait. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the airlines simply went with some shady Chinatown service to get people on their way. As much as we may complain about mechanical delays with the airlines, there is nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the interstate during the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere because of some mechanical problem with the bus.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kettle1
It was the last flight from LAS-LAX. The airline (for some reason) did not allow 40 PAX to board the flight. All the PAX were put up in hotels (paid by the airline) and were to be put on flights the next morning. The airline did not offer a bus option (and I understand that).

My question is simple. What would you do? Like the ABC-TV show.

I think it would have been far cheaper for the airline to transport these PAX from LAS-LAX in a Luxury Coach for the 5 hour journey and refund the airfare.

Or give them the option for the free room and meal voucher and travel the next morning (if seats were available). (This was the only option the airline offered).

It would be the PAX decision. What would you do - if given the choice?

I know airlines do this from LAX-SAN all the time (due to the curfew rules in SAN), but that is a much shorter trip.

Also, does anyone know why the airline would not board the 40 PAX. The flight left with the 40 seats open. Could it be the 113 degree temps in LAS? Perhaps weight and balance?
First problem would be finding a quality, air conditioned bus laying around unused with zero notice late at night.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
A UA plane is basically an uncomfortable, but faster, version of a bus. Take the plane's speed away and the bus wins hands down
In fact for many economy passengers a "luxury coach" has far better seating.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Don't you usually call users out for these types of comments?

I suppose the other side of me could say "my ears are burning...," 'cept that I've never been to Newburgh.
Sorry, the guy just fit the stereotype to a T. We were all having a great time on the drive, the driver was pointing out things along the way and talking about the recent history, and then Mr. Know-it-all in the back seat starts whining about how we should take such and such an exit and go down such and such road, and the driver, a nice guy, just kinda clammed up with a really annoyed look, and it got really uncomfortable. Joe Blowhard kept it up until finally I had to say "The driver is a professional, let him do his job!" Turned what had been a fun little adventure kinda sour.

(For what it's worth, the guy with the mouth seemed like he'd probably been one of those kids who got beat up pretty often in high school just because....)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:12 am

I'm interested in the bus-phobic comments here. My wife is from the States and although she has lived in Europe for many years she still has a prejudice against buses. She says many Americans regard these as second-class transport for those who can't afford anything else.

Assuming the bus/coach alternative is not a wheezy old diesel and either makes decent rest stops or has 'refreshment' facilities I think most Europeans' positive impression of 21st century public transport means they would regard the saving of 5 hours travel time as a no-brainer

Last edited by farci; Jun 29, 2015 at 2:13 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
There are worse places to be stuck for a night than LAS...

The only reason I would take the bus in this instance would be if I had an urgent commitment the next morning.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I absolutely needed to go, I'd get a one-way rental car. That should be easy to do on LAS-LAX.

I actually had one of these choices a month ago...a UA cancellation after a weather diversion. In AMA...flight destined for LBB...the minute I overheard an agent talk about starting to make phone calls to arrange a bus, I went directly to National and got on the road. I'm guessing I had already returned the car in LBB before anyone boarded any kind of bus in AMA.

If I didn't absolutely need to go, I'd accept the hotel and fly out the next morning.

There's no chance I'd get on a bus in this scenario.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by farci
I'm interested in the bus-phobic comments here. My wife is from the States and although she has lived in Europe for many years she still has a prejudice against buses. She says many Americans regard these as second-class transport for those who can't afford anything else.

Assuming the bus/coach alternative is not a wheezy old diesel and either makes decent rest stops or has 'refreshment' facilities I think most Europeans' positive impression of 21st century public transport means they would regard the saving of 5 hours travel time as a no-brainer
I've found that most regular buses in Europe tend to be more comfortable than most regular US buses. More legroom, cleaner, etc. Now I haven't ridden a bus in the US in awhile and it may have started changing, but if your memory of buses in the U.S. is of cramped, uncomfortable seats with a god awful smell coming from a nasty toilet....

As to the no brainer part, I was actually in this situation last week. Flight delayed several hours already, 5.5 hour drive to the destination. Flight hadn't cancelled yet, but I'd already determined that if it did (or took yet another delay), I was telling them to rebook me for the morning and grabbing a hotel so I could really get some rest. I was physically exhausted and not feeling well at that point, so putting me in any moving vehicle for another 5+ hours was asking for trouble. If I had been feeling better, I probably would've rented a car and asked if 3 other passengers wanted to join me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Independent
I have not taken a bus anywhere other than in the US. I get the impression that Bus travel has remarkably improved in other countries, whereas in the US it is still a pretty dismal experience.

Beyond the "bus bathroom" smell that seems to permeate any bus here, most of our buses have seats so tightly spaced that you are lucky you can fit your legs between the seats; the seat design (I have no idea why they all seem to use the same seats) are the most poorly sculpted things I have ever experienced, temperatures are hard to control (either freezing arms as they rest against the window, OR way overheated); Few are maintained to any sensible degree; and the worst part is how tipsy and bouncy they are.

I am positive they can do better, why they have not done this in the Us I do not know. If you are an hour away it is one thing. but a five hour drive? Especially if you are only going to be waiting for ten hours AND they put you up in a hotel? I wouldn't even consider teh bus as a contender in that contest.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I have not taken a bus anywhere other than in the US. I get the impression that Bus travel has remarkably improved in other countries, whereas in the US it is still a pretty dismal experience.

Beyond the "bus bathroom" smell that seems to permeate any bus here, most of our buses have seats so tightly spaced that you are lucky you can fit your legs between the seats; the seat design (I have no idea why they all seem to use the same seats) are the most poorly sculpted things I have ever experienced, temperatures are hard to control (either freezing arms as they rest against the window, OR way overheated); Few are maintained to any sensible degree; and the worst part is how tipsy and bouncy they are.

I am positive they can do better, why they have not done this in the Us I do not know. If you are an hour away it is one thing. but a five hour drive? Especially if you are only going to be waiting for ten hours AND they put you up in a hotel? I wouldn't even consider teh bus as a contender in that contest.
You are describing a typical municipal bus. That is not even in the same universe as a luxury touring coach, which is what they usually call in for the sort of thing mentioned in the OP.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
You are describing a typical municipal bus. That is not even in the same universe as a luxury touring coach, which is what they usually call in for the sort of thing mentioned in the OP.
I am talking about your typical Greyhound/Peter Pan/Bolt bus. Which is what you are going to get by charter around here. There are a few companies trying the ultra luxury thing - like LimoLiner. so far I have not seen much success out of them. But no airline is going to get one of those on a last minute charter. Most certainly they are not going to be willing to pay the premium over a regular coach.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never ridden on a truly comfortable bus, anywhere in the world, and I've been on buses of one form or another on four continents. Usually your typical 2x2 setup, reasonably clean charters, but not luxurious and never in any way comfortable. I'm always thankful that I'm only on them for some sort of intracity group tour.

I don't doubt that the limo liners are out there...love that photo upthread with the business-class-looking pods...but that's not what United is going to charter for you out of Vegas. They're going to get you the equivalent of the Dog.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by pinniped
...but that's not what United is going to charter for you out of Vegas. They're going to get you the equivalent of the Dog.
Gee, I wonder why they can do it out of LAX but not LAS?

Or, perhaps, are you guessing rather than speaking from actual knowledge?

I speak from experience for LAX-FAT. Maybe LAS is a lower rent district.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:01 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Megabus*, runs scheduled service, departing from the RTC South Strip Transfer Terminal (about 3 miles from McCarran airport). One departs LAS at 12:30 AM and arrives in LAX 5:40 AM [overnight, avoiding the excessive heat], even though they are air conditioned.
*Unless these are subcontracted, a "typical" MB is double decker, fairly comfortable seats--a few seats have tables (free WIFI).
PS: I've used MB to go from NYC to Washington, DC (with bookings far enough in advance) I've gone RT for $2.00.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i had an airline give me a cab (voucher thing) from Monterey (interesting not in FT dictionary) to san jose in california

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.