Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the survey are in and online here:
Slow and Expensive Internet and Insufficient Electrical Outlets Top Hotel Pet Peeves List for 4th Year Running

Please take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves including those that weren't touched upon in the results.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by ANC
my top peeve isnt even on the list. Check in is at 3pm. You show up at 5pm and the room isnt ready. Is it just me or is this starting to happen with more frequency? You have to be out by 11am or noon, no exceptions or you get charged extra. Yet its rare that a hotel will voluntarily discount anything off the first night even though you have to wait until 5 or 6pm to get in your room. It usually takes a big fuss to get anything out of them for the room not being ready
+1 I've had this happen everywhere from Best Western to Wynn Tower Suites. You have to be out by check-out time (occasionally you can get a 1 hour extension, but you'd better arrange that in advance), but apparently check-in time is only a whimsical suggestion that the hotels feel free to ignore without consequence. If it is happening more often lately, my guess is it's because hotels are trying to save money with a smaller housekeeping staff and they can't get all the rooms serviced in time.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:58 am

Lack of accessible power outlets have been an issue lately. I just stayed at a place that had no power outlets near the desk and only one outlet on one lamp on a nightstand. There was a power strip behind the dresser with the tv on it. It was a pain to plug in my laptop. .

I also hate shampoo that is either impossible to open or hard plastic so it's difficult to get out of the bottle. I've also run into bathroom light switches on the outside of the bathroom more often lately too.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by shuigao
The poll is blocked by my office firewall lol

Anyway my pet peeve is lights that don't have off switches. My previous hotel in Geneva I literally could not figure out how to turn off the two floor lamps in the corner. Gave up and unplugged them from the wall.
I had that recently, IIRC the Fairmont in Abu Dhabi. The only way I could find to turn off the floor lamp was by pulling the cord out of the wall.
--
13F
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
I love the fact that many hotel rooms come equipped with irons. But try to find a convenient power socket!
--
13F
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I hate it when the triangle fold of toilet paper is stuck to the rest of the roll with a little hotel branded sticker.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
The first time I stayed in a fancy hotel was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in my twenties. I was mortified when we came back to the room to find a corner of the bed spread turned down, with a chocolate valentine placed on the bed.

I didn't realize they always did this; I thought it was because we were having sex on the balcony.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
"Are you lying your head on an uncomfortable pillow in a hot and dirty hotel room right now where you are not yet able to read this because the Internet service provided to you by the hotel — for which you paid too much money — is excruciatingly slow? The battery power is almost gone on your portable electronic device because of the inadequate amount of electrical outlets in the room, most are hidden and difficult to reach — if they are not already in use..."
Um- YES to all of the above. Are you spying on me in the Maritim Hotel, Ulm Germany?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
  1. Not enough outlets to recharge all my gadgets
  2. No outlet near the bed to recharge my phone and use it as an alarm clock
  3. No way to plug my laptop into the TV (HDMI - when they bolt it into the wall so it does not allow access to the back).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by livingforever
Um- YES to all of the above. Are you spying on me in the Maritim Hotel, Ulm Germany?
Wow...

...this secret two-way mirror really does work!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ANC
my top peeve isnt even on the list. Check in is at 3pm. You show up at 5pm and the room isnt ready.y
+9000. I've been getting this so often recently. Just a few weeks ago I turned up at a Doubletree Hilton 1 hour past the check-in time and the lobby was full of people with bags waiting for their room to be ready.

The best part of this experience? The front desk couldn't give me even a ballpark time as to when the room would be ready, and refused my request that they call me when it was. All they would say is "check back with us later." Dafug?

Last edited by shuigao; Jun 30, 2015 at 11:48 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
One hotel where if you have your Do Not Disturb sign out at roughly noon, they shove a paper under the door that you'll get no housekeeping unless you let the front desk know (promptly) that you aren't waiving it for the day, period.

Another hotel, where unfortunately I have to stay at times, pretty much writes off rooms without any warning at all around 11:30 - noon-ish. Your loss ...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mendy7511
  1. No outlet near the bed to recharge my phone and use it as an alarm clock
I agree 100%. It takes almost two hours to charge an iphone from 1% to 100%. When I also use my phone as an alarm clock, I don't want to spend two extra hours in my hotel room just to charge my phone when there is no outlet next to the bed - I want to do it while I'm asleep.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by shuigao
The poll is blocked by my office firewall lol

Anyway my pet peeve is lights that don't have off switches. My previous hotel in Geneva I literally could not figure out how to turn off the two floor lamps in the corner. Gave up and unplugged them from the wall.
You shouldn't be on flyertalk!
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Syzygies
The first time I stayed in a fancy hotel was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, in my twenties. I was mortified when we came back to the room to find a corner of the bed spread turned down, with a chocolate valentine placed on the bed.

I didn't realize they always did this; I thought it was because we were having sex on the balcony.
I would like to nominate this for the Best Post of 2015.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mendy7511
  1. Not enough outlets to recharge all my gadgets
  2. No outlet near the bed to recharge my phone and use it as an alarm clock
  3. No way to plug my laptop into the TV (HDMI - when they bolt it into the wall so it does not allow access to the back).
Carry one of these.
Amazon Amazon

And if the TV in the room is a smart TV just screen share your laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.