Reload this Page >

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This thread covers the 2015 Hotel Pet Peeves poll, conducted by Frequent Business Traveler magazine in conjunction with FlyerTalk.

The results of the survey are in and online here:
Slow and Expensive Internet and Insufficient Electrical Outlets Top Hotel Pet Peeves List for 4th Year Running

Please take part in the discussion below and talk about your favorite peeves or add peeves including those that weren't touched upon in the results.

Next year's poll will be created using input from the current year's discussion so please do contribute in the thread.
Print Wikipost

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves? The 2015 Frequent Business Traveler Survey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by hrhqc
bathroom sink not in the bathroom but out in the room
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Join date? Post count?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by mickieg
My pet peeve is the little tiny writing on the bottles of toiletries. When you are in the shower with no glasses on you cannot see if it is shampoo or conditioner. Even with glasses on they are hard to read. Once I put on hand lotion, (I thought!) just before I left the room, but it was liquid soap!

Whoa! Another one. Join date, post count.

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by bigmike4511
There is nothing I hate worse than having the internet fail, and when you call the front desk, they tell you to call some 800 tech support number, where you can sit on hold waiting for someone who wants to tell you to reboot your computer or other things that you have already done. When I pay for a room, I do not want to waste my time talking to "peggy". I want the hotel to get the problem fixed (9 times out of ten they just need to reboot the modem and router)

The second thing is a clerk who, when you are staying multiple nights, only programs the key cards for the first night. Arrive back to the room after a long day, only to find your key does not work. Worse it the attitude that this is not a big deal
bigmike4511

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I prefer having the vanity sink outside the bathroom. When two of us are staying in a room together it allows one to brush teeth/wash hands/fix hair/etc. without intruding while the other is showering or using the toilet.
I agree. At the very least the toilet area should be separate and private from the area where a person might wash up, fix one's hair, brush the teeth and do other bathroom type things.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: LH SEN
I just realized my pet peeve (beside things mentioned in the thread already): Hotel pools. Seldom are they properly managed, water quality is beyond disgusting. Some countries are better, but usually some poor chap has to take care of the technical things (chlorination, filtration etc), but has no idea what to do correctly.
Pool maintenance for public / hotels is very much different to your private pool (size, frequency) and quite complex. But no, just throw in some chlorine and everything is well. Grrrr
W
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
[QUOTE=spd476;25048838]Lack of accessible power outlets have been an issue lately. I just stayed at a place that had no power outlets near the desk and only one outlet on one lamp on a nightstand. There was a power strip behind the dresser with the tv on it. It was a pain to plug in my laptop. .
I always pack my own power strip. Check out the new Belkin.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:48 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by mickieg
My pet peeve is the little tiny writing on the bottles of toiletries. When you are in the shower with no glasses on you cannot see if it is shampoo or conditioner. Even with glasses on they are hard to read. Once I put on hand lotion, (I thought!) just before I left the room, but it was liquid soap!
Glad you mentioned this pet peeve of mine, too.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by davie355
Last year my roommate's Chinese girlfriend visited our apartment and the next day when I took a shower the water backed up to my ankles.

It may be a cultural norm for Chinese people to rinse hair down the drain.

That said, I've stayed in maybe a dozen hotels within China and I've only had one drainage problem which was promptly repaired by a call to the front desk.
Wow.. I didnt realize this could be a systemic issue all this time (One of my housemates is a girl from Hong Kong and until multiple reminders she kept rinsing long hair down the washbasin - ugh). But then, if you think about it.. it might just be more of the normal distribution of having the largest number of people who could nt care less for others..(I am sure India runs a close 2nd in this issue too).

Regards hotels, most of my pet peeves revolve around those that dont let you control the AC properly.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:00 pm

Wireless internet that is slower than dial up in some places I've been, the worse part is paying for it especially at a nice place where it should be included. At least at the Hampton I stayed in last summer with my teenage niece and nephew, the front desk clerk was nice enough to give me 2 extra passwords for the wifi as the place gave 1 password for 1 device (and my sister's 2 kids wanted to use wifi instead of the data plans on their phones). I do remember a hotel in Belfast Ireland where my friend helped the front desk a bit with the wireless issues they were having during our stay but that did not translate into a discount for the week of wifi I bought either!

Satellite tv that goes out when the weather turns the slightest bit bad. Sometimes, I just want to relax with some tv late at night or early in the morning, and there is no reception. Makes me grateful I pay for cable which seldom goes down at home.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by pschafer

Mini bars with auto sensors - if you move an item you automatically get charged for it - it also means you cannot put any of your own food/drinks in the fridge.
Ha, Sure you can. The first time I saw this, I just took EVERTHING out of the fridge and put it all back again. They mentioned something about the fridge at checkout and I said I hadn't used anything...simple.

My peeves, are:
Bathroom light switch outside the bathroom.
Internet system you need to log back in every 20 minutes
Bad lighting in bathroom
Too many flyers and information cards standing everywhere
Uber-groovy washbasins that are not practical for...uh.. washing yourself.
Those totally outdated hairdriers where the hose gets too hot hold.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by jspira
Thanks ^ Glad to hear it.
I'd have to disagree with the bold part. I've found that very luxurious hotels have addressed this with an appropriate make-up/dressing table with nearby electrical outlets. Hotels that come to mind include the Connaught and Claridge's in London, the Baltschug Kempinski, and a few others. It's not just a ladies thing by the way.
YESSS, I love that too, saw it first in Falkensteiner Margareten in Vienna. [Very schmick new hotel] And that was in a standard room, too.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 1:05 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

The results have been posted for this survey; and it also contains an interesting infographic.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Frizzy
Too many flyers and information cards standing everywhere.
I stayed at a Hyatt House earlier this year that, save for some ill-placed bathroom fixtures, had the feel of a place where they had actually read these kind of polls and listened to their focus groups and tried to manage the annoyances of travel.

Their solution to this- a simple magnetic bulletin board put at adult eye level on a wall just inside the room where all of there kinds of cards can be stuck without cluttering up scarce desk and dresser top space. Turns out it really isn't that hard or expensive for a hotel to manage such things in a less annoying way and still expose guests to advertisers.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by FightOnFlyer
I agree 100%. It takes almost two hours to charge an iphone from 1% to 100%. When I also use my phone as an alarm clock, I don't want to spend two extra hours in my hotel room just to charge my phone when there is no outlet next to the bed - I want to do it while I'm asleep.
That's why I always carry a battery with me. It charges during the day and charges my phone at night.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Frizzy
My peeves, are:
Bathroom light switch outside the bathroom.
That's a safety issue, and mandated by law in some places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.