Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon panic - worst possible time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
http://www.skygreece.com

New greek airline, YYZ-ATH, traditional greek hospitality on board, check it out. The only thing is they only have a couple of planes and they are new.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^^^ People tend to freak out about the cost of airfare because they see it in one amount. Add up your hotels over time and put them in one lump sum. Do the same for meals, events, sight-seeing, etc. That will put the cost of airfare into proper perspective.

+/- $200 on a 3 week honeymoon in Europe falls under the category of "don't sweat the small stuff".
ex-ACT-ly
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^^^ People tend to freak out about the cost of airfare because they see it in one amount. Add up your hotels over time and put them in one lump sum. Do the same for meals, events, sight-seeing, etc. That will put the cost of airfare into proper perspective.

+/- $200 on a 3 week honeymoon in Europe falls under the category of "don't sweat the small stuff".
^

Always assume your trip will cost 50% more than you expect. In that context, a $100-200 difference in airfare on an international trip shouldn't throw your budget out of whack.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
^

Always assume your trip will cost 50% more than you expect. In that context, a $100-200 difference in airfare on an international trip shouldn't throw your budget out of whack.
Yup. Don't forget to budget for the things you don't know. And even more importantly for the things that you don't know that you don't know.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I am rather ignorant about points etc but I have a question. I understand a mileage run but for what purpose do you want it here. To obtain status for your daughter to get an upgrade or for more points to buy honeymoon tickets etc?

Just wondering.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I am rather ignorant about points etc but I have a question. I understand a mileage run but for what purpose do you want it here. To obtain status for your daughter to get an upgrade or for more points to buy honeymoon tickets etc?

Just wondering.
He didn't want a mileage run, just a really cheap ticket like someone might use for a mileage run. (He decided just to grab the reasonably priced non-stop tickets rather than futz around trying to save $50 here and there with awkward connections.)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
He didn't want a mileage run, just a really cheap ticket like someone might use for a mileage run. (He decided just to grab the reasonably priced non-stop tickets rather than futz around trying to save $50 here and there with awkward connections.)
I misread it. I thought it said need a mileage run now before the honeymoon flight in weeks.

Thanks for the update Doc!!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just chiming in with those who say that $200 in the context of a three-week holiday/honeymoon in Europe is a rounding error. Sorry, I don't mean to freely deal with other people's money, but this is the cost of a nice dinner in Athens, or a hotel night, so choose the most convenient and reliable flights (none of this new-startup business, have you read about what's going on in Greece currently?) and enjoy the honeymoon.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:18 am

Excuse me, but if a couple hundred dollars extra is too much for tickets, then they have no business honeymooning in Europe. Sorry.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by gmark1
Excuse me, but if a couple hundred dollars extra is too much for tickets, then they have no business honeymooning in Europe. Sorry.
I agree 100%.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by karns
Anyway, I've done more looking, and have found a decent OJ fare that fits the plan (FYI, YHZ-ATH-OTP-YHZ, $1188 CAD). We'll kick in some of the money, and hopefully we can move on to some of the other imminent details.
Nicely done. I still think you did quite well for a July TATL fare with 1 month advance purchase. ^
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emrdoc
I agree 100%.
Agree with above. It will only be more difficult to save once you get there and that is how you dig an even bigger hole. The sentiment becomes 'this is our honeymoon, put it on the credit card'. You want to be able to enjoy the trip and sounds like things will be tight when they get there if airfare is an issue.

Not judging but I definitely wouldn't want to start a new life together officially as husband and wife with a cloud over our heads.

If there's anything you can cut from the wedding budget it would probably help. Or start a honeymoon registry instead of regular gifts.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't know...when I was young, I was very capable of traveling in Europe on a pretty tight budget. We took a 1 month honeymoon, Hawaii and Europe, and didn't break the bank. Miles and hotel points were absolutely a requirement for Hawaii, but they weren't for Europe: we just stayed in pensiones and (low end) B&B's that most FTers wouldn't be caught dead in.

A few years before that, we spent a month in Europe doing the full-on backpacker thing, staying in hostels when we weren't sleeping on overnight trains, eating streetfood, and finding the student-centric bars/clubs in each city. Awesome trip...only minor regret is that we didn't do 2 or 3 months.

It's possible that this couple is seeking to do something like that as opposed to a luxury trip. In that case, I won't condemn them for going...it frankly sounds like a pretty cool honeymoon, even if it entails spartan accommodations. They've picked a region where that's certainly possible.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I agree with pinniped; you don't have to break the bank. For example, this hotel in Athens is perfectly fine, excellent service and breakfast, too, for only about $60 a night.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ns_Attica.html

Walking distance to almost everything.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
At this point, I would be more worried about the Greek economy problems than trying to save on airfare. I hope your daughter isn't planning on charging much to her credit card. Many merchants in Greece are starting to refuse them. While the problems may be resolved by the time she travels, they may not.

Suggest they carry plenty of cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.