Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Master thread] What's the best "act of kindness" you've experienced while traveling

[Master thread] What's the best "act of kindness" you've experienced while traveling

Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

After reading so many threads discussing the darker side of traveling (scams, pickpockets, bribery, disgusting passengers, etc) I thought we should lighten things up a bit and hear the GOOD things that come out of traveling.

What is an act of kindness you've experienced while traveling? Could be anything - a passenger giving you their higher-class seat, a taxi driver returning your dropped valuables, a hotel that provided above-expected service. The world is full of great people; let's hear about them!

My best experience was in 2011 when I was traveling from Moscow to Kiev. My boyfriend (now husband) and I accidentally headed the wrong direction on the metro line and arrived late to DME. We had not missed our flight but were within the time where they would not let us check our bags, so we had to be booked to a later flight. 8 hours later. So now instead of arriving in KBP in the early afternoon, we would arrive close to midnight. Our hostel is located right outside of Independence Square so we had mapped out how to get there by bus. We finally land in Kiev, exhausted and starving, and exit the terminal. We do not see any signs for the bus station and none of the police speak English. There are "taxis" outside offering a ride for UAH1000 - an OBSCENE amount of money We are hopelessly trying to figure out what to do. We start approaching other exiting passengers to ask about the bus station. We finally find a girl sitting outside the terminal reading a book, waiting for her ride. I saw her in the cafe at DME so she was on our flight. She is Russian and speaks English and offers to help us. She starts walking with us to other terminals, asking in Russian where the bus station is. She learns it is at the exit of the airport complex, and walks with us over there. She reads the schedule and sees that the buses stopped running a few hours before, so we're stuck. She asks us where we are going, so I show her on the map, and she offers to share her cab with us. Her friend in Kiev called it so the price is only UAH100 - we offer to pay for the whole thing in gratitude but she waves us off. When her cab arrives, she talks to the cab driver and he agrees to take on additional passengers so we climb in. The price is raised to UAH200 because of the second stop and she agrees for us to pay half. We had an enjoyable ride into Kiev with her and we can't believe how lucky we were. She totally saved us - I have no idea what would have happened if we hadn't met her. We both returned to Moscow a few days later and we met up with her again and saw some museums (which she got us the Russian price for, since she bought the tickets they assumed we were all local because we kept quiet). We've kept in touch online and saw her in both Israel and Austria this past year. It's awesome how one person's willingness to help another became a pretty great friendship
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
I took UA154 (the legendary "island hopper") last October and was fortunate enough to be seated next to the mechanic who told me all about the islands and introduced me to a community leader on Pohnpei.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Great idea for a new thread! I look forward to hearing about the kindness of others.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I landed at Geneva airport, as I had dozens of times before, but this trip I was staying on the French side of the border. Proud of my knowledge that the airport has an exit on the French side (but somewhat befuddled after ~24 hrs in Y), I followed the signs for "France". Which eventually led to taking an elevator to a rather deserted car park rather than the bustling taxi rank I'd hoped for. (Yeah, I know now, I should have exited the Swiss side. )

On the way to that elevator, a Korean gentleman had been a bit behind me and I held the door open for him. (No big deal. And I mention his ethnicity only because I superficially assumed he was not a local resident.) When we got out, he noticed my confusion and asked if he could help. I said I was staying in France and asked where I could get a taxi. He didn't know, but said his wife was picking him up and that they lived in France. He asked where my hotel was, and said it was on his way home: would I like a ride?

I weighed up decades of "don't accept rides from strangers" against my exhaustion and confusion, added (I admit) my instinct that he seemed like a very decent guy, threw in the fact that his wife would be there, and gratefully accepted.

When his wife arrived, he explained to her (and his 8-yr-old daughter) that he'd offered this complete stranger a ride to her hotel. They were all charming, especially when we had to squeeze four passengers and two lots of luggage into a compact. And they helped me unload at my hotel. I gave the little girl some candy I'd saved from the flight meals, but wished I could do more to say thanks. Incredibly kind people.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold
We were on our way to LGW in a minicab to catch the VS flight to BGI.

On the M23 (just after we came off the M25) we got a flat tyre. Annoying but one of those things and shouldn't take too long to fix.

The driver gets out the wrench to loosen the wheel nuts and it snaps in his hand.

We're from north London and its a local taxi company so it would take over an hour to call someone from his office. We were debating whether a local LGW company would come and get us but that's illegal on the motorway and the flight time is getting nearer.

Suddenly a car pulls up in front of us on the hard shoulder, the driver gets out, runs back and asks if he can help. He lends our driver the right tools and the tyre is changed and we're on our way way in 10 minutes.

The other driver says he's a chauffer from a limo company and his passenger is a corporate client on his way to LGW. He saw us standing on the hard shoulder and told his driver to stop to see if he could help. My husband went to the other car to thank the passenger. We were immensely grateful as much longer stranded and we would have missed our flight.

Last edited by Cassie55; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:58 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:11 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Years ago (1979) my neighbors had moved to Seattle and told me to visit them anytime over a weekend, so I flew up there. I called them from the airport several times and got no answer. I'm sitting at a bus stop wondering what to do and this guy about my age struck up a conversation with me. He said I looked worried about something and we talked. He ended up offering to let me sleep on his couch at his apartment for the night.

My friends answered their phone the next day (they'd taken a short trip) and I took a bus to their place. I don't know what I'd done were it not for that guy at the bus stop.

I would have called before even flying there, but the friends weren't the type to really ever go anywhere.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
I was backpacking in East Timor for a few days and decided to take a bus to one of the provincial towns (Baucau). Got there at 1pm, and walked around town, talking to locals and taking in the sights (or lack thereof). Went back to the bus stop expecting a bus to Dili to show up - where there were 6 other people. While there, I started talking to two university students around my age, and we conversed for an hour or so. They told me that the night bus is really hit and miss and that it doesn't come some times - in the event of that, there is usually a midnight bus that leaves Baucau at 1-3am back to Dili. Crap.

We ended up waiting for another hour, until the sun started to set. There were no lights at the bus stop and the other 4 people started to give up and try for a bus the next day. The two guys I spoke to then asked me what my plans were, given the bus wasn't coming. I told them that I'd probably wait here until midnight ++ for the bus to come - but they strongly advised against it, telling me that there was a lot of violence at night. They then offered to take me back to their place to wait for the bus - and this was where I started to get somewhat anxious. At this point, I didn't have much to lose by following them back to their place - I naively figured I could always sprint back to the bus stop for help. It turns out that their house was just 100m behind the bus stop. Their families were in fact neighbours and they welcomed me with open arms (all 3 generations) - and even invited me to eat dinner with them. We ended up playing cards and talking all night, it was all very amicable. There was hardly any running electricity, and the only source of light were candles and a dim light bulb. Even with almost nothing, they still offered me everything they had.

We ended up going back to the bus stop at 130am. Waited for 45 minutes for the bus, and nearly gave up until the next morning - also witnessed two drunken men fighting and shouting at each other. The bus back to Dili ended up coming 10 minutes later, and the relief on my face was ineffable. I didn't have anything on me except a few USD - which I used to pay for our tickets, the absolute least I could do. Ended up arriving back in Dili at 6am and it was a good feeling walking back to the confines of Hotel Dili.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:38 am

Kind passenger, unkind AA FA

AA flight FAT-DFW. Cash upgrade to F. I have Type-2 diabetes. Seated in row 4. During beverage service, asked for and received Diet Coke. Prior to meal service, tried and failed to get FA's attention to learn what our choices were. She ignored me. When she finally got to me, there was no more chicken left, only pasta - which is high in carbs and off-limits to me. I told her I couldn't eat pasta because of my diabetes, and she immediately walked away. The gentleman to my left right away said he understood my situation and would gladly trade his chicken meal for my pasta. She returned a minute later and said I couldn't trade with the gentleman because she had just given my meal "to a crewmember." The gentleman said I could have his meal - without a trade - because he wasn't really very hungry. He was as kind and decent as she was not. I didn't file a complaint against her because AA doesn't give a hoot anymore. But, upon reflection, I probably should have.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Immigration in the US tends to not conjure pleasant memories for most of us. I didn't have GE yet and was returning from Bali via HKG with my DH and DD, who was 11 months old. She had an ear infection, but we didn't know that, we just knew she was sick. When we got to immigration, one of the staff waived us to the GE line and let us go through (after the GE pax did, which were just a couple). I was so thankful for not having to wait in line and could get my daughter somewhere a bit cooler.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:44 am

On our last day in London my husband hurt his back and could barely function, but he said he could make it to the airport on the tube. My son was 13 and we were trying to deal with 3 very large suitcases and our carry-on. When we got to the station, the elevator was out and we had to go up a very long flight of stairs. I had to leave my son with the bags while I helped my husband up the steps and then my son was going to make multiple trips to bring the bags up. As he was getting ready to drag the first bag, a group of men in their 20's came by, saw our dilemma, grabbed our bags as if they weighed nothing, told us to come along and carried everything up the stairs.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:46 am

My sister-in-law and I were flying home from Vegas, with a stop in an unfamiliar airport. Our first flight was running late and we were anxious about making the next flight - discussing the airport layout, what if we didn't make it - trying not to panic.

The gentleman next to her was telling her where to go - take this elevator, wait for the train, etc.

The plane lands and we start walking as fast as we can, trying to remember the directions. Just as we were about to make a right, the gentleman comes out of nowhere and says "head left" and then stays with us until we are near our gate, where we boarded immediately. Then he turns around and starts heading back from where we came from.

Obviously, he knew we didn't know what the heck we were doing so he followed us to make sure we made it ok.

Last edited by Jane42; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
A couple of nice little ones spring to mind:

Travelling to Pakistan, from the Wagah border. We get talking to the only others actually crossing the border at the same time as us, and they offer to share a taxi with us to Lahore, which turned out to be a car they'd ordered, and they stood us a cup of cardamom tea while waiting. Chatted for a bit, and they turned out to be consular staff, and gave us huge amounts of helpful information about accommodation (even calling ahead for us), safety and language basics - giving us a bunch of direct HC phone numbers too. Lovely people, and helped us a huge amount in a rather daunting country.

Years ago, very little money, walking with backpacks and tents from the end of the bus line to the Ostia di Lido campsite near FCO. Another bus comes past and pulls in beside us. Asks if we're going to the campsite, and gives us a lift to the gate, because he's headed that way anyway. Saved us a long, hot walk...

Out cycling on the Kibi plain in Japan, on a very hot, humid, summer day. The recommended route maps from the cycle hire shop were pretty hard to follow (not least thanks to my lack of Japanese) and we soon got lost. We approached a man out jogging to see if he could point us in the right direction. He gestured for us to follow, and so we did. For approaching 2 miles, as he grew redder and sweatier, ignoring our protests to stop and just point us in the right direction, refusing any drinks from us too, we followed him across the wide open plain. He stayed with us until we were clearly back on a clearly signed part of the itinerary.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Lost and Found Wallet

Years ago, lost my wallet in Zurich after leaving a taxi. A university student found it and returned it to my hotel room. Fortunately, I had placed my name and the name of my hotel on a United baggage tag, and had slipped that in my wallet. Now, I do that routinely when I travel!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lkeade
On our last day in London my husband hurt his back and could barely function, but he said he could make it to the airport on the tube. My son was 13 and we were trying to deal with 3 very large suitcases and our carry-on. When we got to the station, the elevator was out and we had to go up a very long flight of stairs. I had to leave my son with the bags while I helped my husband up the steps and then my son was going to make multiple trips to bring the bags up. As he was getting ready to drag the first bag, a group of men in their 20's came by, saw our dilemma, grabbed our bags as if they weighed nothing, told us to come along and carried everything up the stairs.
Very similar story - I am normally pretty self sufficient, and often take the tube. On this particular trip I was bringing back Christmas gifts and had 2 suitcases, plus my rollaboard, and didn't use my joined up thinking when crossing London, and ended up changing tube trains at a station with lots of stairs and no step free access! I was doing something similar with my cases (on the flat I could balance my rollaboard on top of the case) and the stairs were killing me - at the second steps, a business man took one look at me struggling, and took a case for me all the way to my platform and helped me on to the tube. Very sweet, and very unexpected

In Kyoto last year an elderly Japanese gentleman on the bus saved me a long hot walk going to see a temple, I had been reading about it, and got up to get off the bus where the guide book said. He looked at me, indicated I should sit back down and gestured 'another' stop. Tons of tourists got off (where the guide book said) and I stayed on the bus, trusting the local, and saved myself about 15 minutes of uphill walking!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:23 pm
Suspended

The last was many years ago flying standby for an earlier flight without having to pay.

One act of kindness that I can remember is a teenage boy on crutches who not only told me where the bus stop was but walked a block to show me (pointing to turn that way then turn that way). Other people said they didn't know but I suspect some did know. There were many bus stops in the area. The boy with the most reason to not help gave the most help.

Last edited by Box5; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.