Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Theft of valuables by hotel employee from in-room safe, what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft of valuables by hotel employee from in-room safe, what now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:33 am

OP- you may find some peace of mind on your next trip if you use something like the Pascafe Travelsafe inside the hotel room safe. It won't deter someone from taking the whole pouch but it would deter someone very sneaky like the thief you had before. I understand why you are still upset. It is not just the money but someone unauthorized entering the room and violating your trust.

http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-5l-portable-safe.html
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
Finally, as this is a forum to provide travel advice to others, why not identify the property? It's hardly a secret and others might as well know that the property's in-room boxes aren't secure.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by paul4040
Just because there's a sign up doesn't make it the law in the relevant jurisdiction.
Well of course not, nor did I say it did - obviously this is true only if the signage is in accordance with the actual law.

However in many places there are laws limiting liability and such is properly posted in the guest rooms - in fact, in some locations it's a violation for the hotel to not post certain lodging laws in the guest room.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I am glad that it ended well. Case solved.
Be grateful that the hotel and law enforcement were so cooperative. This episode may haunt you. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
I suggest traveling with as few valuables as possible. Use the in-room safe. The lesson learned is that everything worked in your favor and hopefully feel a sense of gratitude.
This.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
This is why I keep money in my dirty underewar/socks and/or in my laundry bag, and not in the hotel safe
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:39 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
can room safes be easily "hacked"?

I would want to know HOW the safe was compromised. If there is some "easy to defeat" flaw with room safes in general, then NO room safe is safe; it was NOT opened using a "crow bar"--he noted a monetary shortage after he opened it in the usual way [via his self selected combination.]
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Would it be safer to keep valuables in a locked suitcase rather than the hotel safe?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
Would it be safer to keep valuables in a locked suitcase rather than the hotel safe?
It's probably easier to steal the suitcase than a wall safe.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: *A
What country was this in?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Let me get this straight. We have thread after thread here where people are discussing compensation from a hotel for minor inconveniences, like "the front desk called my room at 3 a.m. and woke me up," "the maintenance department opened my door and said 'sorry' and closed the door," "the front desk girl gave me attitude," etc. Then discussions ensue about how many points and/or free nights this should be worth.

Now we have someone who was the victim of a serious crime, perpetrated by a hotel employee who violated the guest's privacy and who not only entered the guest's room but opened a locked safe containing the guest's most personal documents and valuables, and stole some of them, causing distress and great inconvenience to the guest, and all anyone here can say is "You're lucky you got your cash back, why would you ask for anything else?"

I think this is the sort of situation where the hotel should be proactive and not just have offered the money back with an apology, but also offered a free weekend or points or something like that.
strickerj and bbee like this.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Let me get this straight. We have thread after thread here where people are discussing compensation from a hotel for minor inconveniences, like "the front desk called my room at 3 a.m. and woke me up," "the maintenance department opened my door and said 'sorry' and closed the door," "the front desk girl gave me attitude," etc. Then discussions ensue about how many points and/or free nights this should be worth.

Now we have someone who was the victim of a serious crime, perpetrated by a hotel employee who violated the guest's privacy and who not only entered the guest's room but opened a locked safe containing the guest's most personal documents and valuables, and stole some of them, causing distress and great inconvenience to the guest, and all anyone here can say is "You're lucky you got your cash back, why would you ask for anything else?"

I think this is the sort of situation where the hotel should be proactive and not just have offered the money back with an apology, but also offered a free weekend or points or something like that.
This^^^

I was fortunate to win a rather large jackpot of money on my last trip to Colorado.

I ended up with a large check and a few thousand in cash. I am not a drug dealer or a stripper-so I was not used to traveling with so much money. The hotel where I was staying didn't have a safe in the room, so I put it in the safe deposit box behind the front desk. I was able to have my own key. But, I was nervous because there were signs everywhere that the hotel was only responsible for 200.00 if items were lost or damaged. I was nervousness until I was able to get the money into my bank account at home.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
One thought about future trips is to not have more cash then you believe you will need. Hit the ATM when needed, and don't keep a lot of cash on hand.

I feel the OP was very fortunate that first, the hotel and then the police took the theft seriously. Even luckier that the person was caught and the hotel took responsibility and sent the OP the amount that was stolen. End of story.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I'm sure there are variations but it seems to be a pretty common theme that hotels are not liable for valuables left in room, and have at best limited liability for stuff left inside an in-room safe. In many places this information is posted inside the guest room door along with other notices.
Originally Posted by paul4040
Just because there's a sign up doesn't make it the law in the relevant jurisdiction.
In most US states, the posted limitation of liability is a quote of the relevant state law, which really does limit the hotel's liability for valuables stolen from the guest rooms. In most states, there is zero liability for theft from guest rooms, even from a locked in-room safe, as long as there is a free safe deposit box offered at the front desk. That's why virtually every hotel and motel in the US, including even the lowest-end ones, offers free safe deposit boxes at the front desk.

Originally Posted by nrr
I'm wondering how the box in the OP`s room was compromised--did the "thief" have one of these devices?
Speaking about the electronic keypad ones, it depends on the model. Some require a special device to be connected. Others can be opened with just a long master password entered into the keypad. In either case, it's incumbent on hotel management to a) set the master password to something other than the factory default, and b) make sure that that password doesn't fall into the wrong hands. It would not surprise me that at many properties, they have models where there's just a master password required, and where it's not been changed from the factory default. In that case, it's not too difficult to imagine that an unauthorized person could gain access to the safes. There are also methods to make it easier to guess what the password the guest might have entered is.

But there's another thing: most of these models will keep an internal transaction log of each time the safe was opened, and when the master password was used. It would not surprise me in this case if someone pulled that log from the safe, and matched it up with the log in the keycard lock on the door. The keycard lock should clearly show when the guest entered, when they left, and when the maid entered with their passkey. If the safe was opened shortly after the maid entered, then it's pretty obvious who did it.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by jphripjah

I think you missed OPs last sentence, he wanted people's opinions and that is what he has/is getting
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:40 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
In most US states, the posted limitation of liability is a quote of the relevant state law, which really does limit the hotel's liability for valuables stolen from the guest rooms. In most states, there is zero liability for theft from guest rooms, even from a locked in-room safe, as long as there is a free safe deposit box offered at the front desk. That's why virtually every hotel and motel in the US, including even the lowest-end ones, offers free safe deposit boxes at the front desk.

Speaking about the electronic keypad ones, it depends on the model. Some require a special device to be connected. Others can be opened with just a long master password entered into the keypad. In either case, it's incumbent on hotel management to a) set the master password to something other than the factory default, and b) make sure that that password doesn't fall into the wrong hands. It would not surprise me that at many properties, they have models where there's just a master password required, and where it's not been changed from the factory default. In that case, it's not too difficult to imagine that an unauthorized person could gain access to the safes. There are also methods to make it easier to guess what the password the guest might have entered is.

But there's another thing: most of these models will keep an internal transaction log of each time the safe was opened, and when the master password was used. It would not surprise me in this case if someone pulled that log from the safe, and matched it up with the log in the keycard lock on the door. The keycard lock should clearly show when the guest entered, when they left, and when the maid entered with their passkey. If the safe was opened shortly after the maid entered, then it's pretty obvious who did it.
All the ones I've used require a 4 digit pin [which you select]. Out of curiosity after I locked the (room) safe, I tried entering codes like 0000, 2222 etc., but as soon as I hit the 4th digit an error message appeared--I think the safes I've encountered need a special electronic device to open them.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by nrr
The OP DID use the in-room safe.
I'd guess there could be confusion on terminology. I have never seen a safe deposit box in a room. Safe deposit box is where you have at least two keys to open it, one user key, one management key.

The safes (Often El Safe, or other fairly inexpensive electronic keypad safes), are a simple 4 to 8 digit user selected number. There is a management bypass code on all models I've seen.

What's even more amusing is when these aren't even bolted down to anything. I wouldn't feel secure putting more than a few hundred in there, even if bolted correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.