Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best J product NYC-TYO (nonstop)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

I'll be heading from NYC to TYO soon, and I get to choose a J seat on whichever airline I want. Since I'm not a frequent traveler, I thought I'd solicit the opinions of those who are!

Without regard to loyalty programs or flight timing, I'm looking for the best overall J product. For me the biggest factor is whether I could reasonably get some sleep in the seat. (If it is at all possible to use points to upgrade from J to F on one of the three-cabin carriers, that could be a factor, too.)

The options are:

-- JL on a 773
-- JL on a 788
-- UA on a 772
-- NH on a 77W
-- DL on a 77L

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The first thing I would do is take DL and UA out of consideration.

I think I would go with NH.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
+1 on the above. From your list, I'd go with NH, JL second.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

In terms of hard product, I actually prefer DL. Otherwise NH. Never tried JL.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:08 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

You ahould also keep in mind where you will be landing. If you are headed to NRT you face a much longer transfer experience to central Tokyo than if you fly into HND.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:09 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Can't speak specifically to the JFK-NRT segment, but have experienced J on all of these carriers from SFO and LAX to NRT.

In order, this would be my vote:

1) JL 773 and 788 - probably the best product in the sky right now, at least to NRT; excellent privacy, get a window seat and it's like a first class cabin. Very good for sleeping. Asian carrier cabins can sometimes be a bit hot (so it's true of NH too). Believe JL is running the same new cabin on the 787 flights from JFK, but double check the seat map to confirm it's not 2x2x2. Slight preference for the 77W, personally.

2) NH, which also has an excellent business product; but more sterile than JL and I don't find it as comfortable. JL is superior to NH on hard product.

3) DL isn't bad, particularly with the Westin bedding. I strongly dislike the leather (or pleather) seating and find it makes me sweaty, but the bedding mitigates that to some degree. I think some JFK flights are running 747, others are 777. Check the schedule. 747 is the better equipment IMO. 777 is an older herringbone-style, which I kind of dislike.

4) UA: not much to say here. Definitely the least attractive of the options. Believe they're using the 2-cabin business on EWR-NRT, which is 2x2x2. Every other carrier has direct aisle access for all seats.

Skip UA and go with JL or NH. The food on both Japanese carriers is first rate.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gamecock
The first thing I would do is take DL and UA out of consideration.

I think I would go with NH.
I would disagree here and actually defend DL. It's nice when flying business class to be the "top dog" versus the airline and aircraft focusing on a FC product that doesn't include you. I also think that DL's 1-2-1 configuration with 100% direct aisle access and of course true flat beds has a lot of advantages.

OTOH, if you get a lot of pleasure from having a lot of young thin smiling giggling and extremely subservient FAs to wait on you, then you should certainly pick one of the Asian carriers.

Do not pick UA.

BTW, is nonstop really required? Do you want to consider other possibilities, such as CX connecting through HKG?
Old May 30, 2015, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Good to know I can cross UA right off (I thought that would be the case) and that DL might actually have a leg up here for hard product.

I don't have to use the same carrier round trip, so what I'm currently leaning toward is trying DL on the way there and either JL or NH the way back. Sleeping will be less important on the way back. And it will be a shorter flight (I'll be flying to SEA or YVR, probably, and not NYC).

Originally Posted by dll
Believe JL is running the same new cabin on the 787 flights from JFK, but double check the seat map to confirm it's not 2x2x2. Slight preference for the 77W, personally.
The 788 from JFK on JL *is* 2x2x2. And it looks to me like all the JL 788s are 2x2x2, but I'm probably missing something.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

BTW, is nonstop really required? Do you want to consider other possibilities, such as CX connecting through HKG?
Nonstop isn't *required*, but I think there would have to be a huge difference in quality for me to consider flying a route that would add at least several hours of travel time.

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade from a paid seat in J to a seat in F using UA or AA miles (for NH and JL, respectively)? I guess I could also transfer SPG points to NH or JL directly, if that would be likelier to work.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would choose JL 788. The service is impeccable and good food and drinks. Hope they can make you a fresh Skytime.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:48 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire

There are two JL and two NH flights out of JFK daily. Both NH are on a 773, as is JL5. JL3 is a 788.

For J, I'd choose JL unless you have a problem with warmer cabin temperatures. NHs product was innovative at the time but it's starting to show its age.

I can't comment on DL though I may be doing it soon.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Do you have any preference for Narita vs. Haneda?
Old May 30, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

I like the idea of CX thru HKG as well
Old May 30, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
Do you have any preference for Narita vs. Haneda?
No preference.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I like the idea of CX thru HKG as well
Is CX in J really so much better than NH/JL/DL that it would justify adding like 8+ hours of travel time?
Old May 30, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

I'd also note that the NH lounge at NRT might be worth a try. They have a noodle bar which is superb. So yes I think I'd try DL the way there and NH the way back, though sounds like others like JL more than NH
Old May 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would disagree here and actually defend DL. It's nice when flying business class to be the "top dog" versus the airline and aircraft focusing on a FC product that doesn't include you.
JL 787 doesn't have F so you'll be top dog there as well.

Originally Posted by actie
Is CX in J really so much better than NH/JL/DL that it would justify adding like 8+ hours of travel time?
No, it's not.

I'd fly JL 788 on this route if flying in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.