Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can my 16 year old daughter fly alone with no ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold

I just booked flights for my daughter to visit her grandparents next week and it just occurred to me that she doesn’t have any government ID. When she’s traveled with us before she hasn’t needed it, but her mom and I had ID.

She leaves Wednesday and we may be able to rush and get her a state ID card before then if we need to or if it would make things easier for her.

If it makes a difference, she’s flying out on southwest and back on allegiant.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Get her the State ID, it's not worth the hassle otherwise.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Does she have a school picture ID? That may help. Otherwise, a parent or grandparent may need to accompany her at least to TSA.

Best of all if you can swing a state ID in that short time. It would be impossible in California.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

What about passport?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
i second the school ID. If it's a US public school, that counts as government-issued photo ID.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bwiadca
What about passport?
Surprisingly, that might be the easiest ID to get on a semi-emergency basis.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Here is a list of acceptable IDs:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Note that it says "18 and older" giving you some wiggle room. Althought I expect that's because they anticipate an adult will accompany. It also says that if you don't have ID you can still travel but (expect to be hassled, effectively).

Interesting that a weapons permit is not considered "acceptable ID" to get on a plane.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
i second the school ID. If it's a US public school, that counts as government-issued photo ID.
Incorrect. School ID's are not on the list of approved government-issued ID's. Here is the list.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

Just get her the state ID or an expedited passport. It's theoretically possible to travel on a domestic flight with no ID, but that requires independent verifications. Given that a 16 YOA may well not have established credit, utility service and the like, it's not worth the hassle.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
My daughter used her school ID, but I would also get a gate pass to go through security with her to make sure she could board or in case something went wrong (it never did). All you needed to do was check in with her and ask the agent for one. I think I used to call the airline first, too.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are the grandparents who will be taking her to the airport on the other end experienced travelers? Would they know what to do if she has trouble at the airport there?
Old May 29, 2015, 6:44 am
Formerly known as vgandhi

Programs: Delta 1 MM and Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Starwood Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Gold

One more thing you can try is tell the airline she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor and would like to have her fly with an attendant. You will have to provide the names of the person dropping her and picking her up at the airport. The airline will make sure she is handed to the right person. I have done that with my kids and there was no need for an Id. But there is a cost associated with this and check with your airline is the charge you have to pay is better or getting her a state issued id. Good luck.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by gotofly
One more thing you can try is tell the airline she is traveling as an unaccompanied minor and would like to have her fly with an attendant. You will have to provide the names of the person dropping her and picking her up at the airport. The airline will make sure she is handed to the right person. I have done that with my kids and there was no need for an Id. But there is a cost associated with this and check with your airline is the charge you have to pay is better or getting her a state issued id. Good luck.
Southwest does not offer unaccompanied minor service to 16-year-olds; Allegiant does not offer UM service at all.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The TSA does not require any ID from 16-year-olds:

"Q. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint. They will just need their boarding pass."

However, Allegiant requires that a 16-year-old travel with his/her birth certificate. Southwest requires proof of age (such as a birth certificate).
Old May 29, 2015, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by guv1976

The TSA does not require any ID from 16-year-olds:

"Q.. What ID is needed for minors traveling domestically/internationally?
A.. Minor children (younger than 18) are not required to provide an ID at the airport security checkpoint..They will just need their boarding pass."

However, Allegiant requires that a 16-year-old travel with his/her birth certificate. Southwest requires proof of age (such as a birth certificate).
The problem is that there's always a possibility that the TDC will decide that she looks 18 and ID is required.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:35 am

My 18 year old couldn't find her driver's license in her wallet. The accepted her SCUBA card (picture id) with her credit card. IIRC they did hand search her baggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.