Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Fare fluctuation

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Cool Flight Fare fluctuation

Yesterday I was looking into some flights that I wasn't prepared to book just yet until I got the ok from work to take the days off. Today I check again and the fare is now $600 more (it's an international flight).

I'm not going to book with that ridiculous amount, but is there a possibility that it may go down to the price that I was prepared to purchase? What are the chances that I missed my opportunity and it's just going to continuously increase?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Flight Fare fluctuation

It may have been a sale that only lasted through yesterday. Unfortunately without knowing the route and airline it's hard to be of more help.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:42 am
Original Poster

jfk to seoul / korean air

the price i saw yesterday was there for a week or so
Old May 28, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jdubz06
jfk to seoul / korean air

the price i saw yesterday was there for a week or so
Google Flights is a terrific tool for finding flights at a fare you're willing to pay. As an example, this link will open a query I set up for a 15-day trip between any airport in New York and Seoul leaving New York beginning June 12th.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It's impossible to say without more information, but if your delay crossed a fare rule boundary such as two weeks or 30 days before departure, the lower fare is probably gone forever.

(You have all this information. We want to help, but we don't have it, and most of us are lousy mind-readers. You may not know what's relevant, but please try to err on the side of providing too much information rather than too little or dribbling it out bit by bit each time someone asks for a specific item. Airline fare rules can be quirky.)
Old May 28, 2015, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Efrem
It's impossible to say without more information, but if your delay crossed a fare rule boundary such as two weeks or 30 days before departure, the lower fare is probably gone forever.

(You have all this information. We want to help, but we don't have it, and most of us are lousy mind-readers. You may not know what's relevant, but please try to err on the side of providing too much information rather than too little or dribbling it out bit by bit each time someone asks for a specific item. Airline fare rules can be quirky.)
You've told use Korean Air and JFK to Seoul. What we need to know is:

are you set on Korean or would you consider other carriers, and could you leave from EWR or are you stuck with JFK?

What is your tolerance for multiple legs? Do you require a non-stop?

What are your dates or travel, and are they at all flexible?

Which cabin are you looking for? First, Business or Coach?

There are real expects here who can suss out the best possible fare, but we need more information.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I have nothing to add to this thread other than the fact the alliteration was fun.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Google Flights is a terrific tool for finding flights at a fare you're willing to pay.
How do you set up that 15 day search thing? I can't seem to find any navigation which allows me to do that ...
Old May 29, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by shuigao
How do you set up that 15 day search thing? I can't seem to find any navigation which allows me to do that ...
Google tends to be a bit careless in user interface design. Some of the options only appear if you do things in one particular order. Here's how to do it step by step:
  1. Enter origin (NYC) and destination (SEL)
  2. Enter start date (June 12) and click or tab into end date
  3. Click back into start date. Below the bar chart at the bottom, Google displays Lowest fares for a 6-day trip < > +/- 0 days < > in dim gray text
  4. Click the right-arrow symbol to the right of 6-day trip repeatedly until it reaches 15. The bar chart adjusts to show the fares Google has found
  5. You can also set the +/- value to see whether a slightly longer or shorter trip would save you enough to justify adjusting your plans
  6. Click the "Expand graph" link at the bottom right to get the view in my link. You'll have to re-enter the duration, but now you can type it in the box next to Lowest fares.

Google Flights displays the handy bar chart at the bottom, and the calendar view with prices at the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.