Wiki Posts
Search

Raising the aisle side arm rest

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus

Am I one of the very few who does it? Or are there more than I think? I am a big tall guy. When I am in economy, I usually choose the aisle seat. And if the plane is full, I like to raise the aisle side arm rests to varying degrees. Sometimes, I will let the arm rest be raised partially so it rests on top of my right leg in way that I can still rest my arm on it but I have that little extra room to move my legs. . Other times, I will just raise it all the way so I have full freedom to shift my body around.

However, I noticed no one else does this. Not even the very big people.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA
willing to bet most don't even know that it moves or how to move it. i know it moves, how to move it but i don't move it
Old May 26, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
If its moveable, I will sometimes lift the aisle armrest. I think most people don't know or don't bother to search for the hidden switch to lift the aisle armrest.

Be careful of random service carts hitting you in the knee or hip.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:59 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
There's a little lever toward the rear bottom of the armrest. Just pull it and it will lift up.

I do the same, release it and then let it rest on my leg.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Food carts will be bouncing off your knee if you do this in order to spread out a bit.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I do it whenever the arm rest is so equipped. And no, the cart does not "bounce off my knee."
Old May 27, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K

knowing that the window arm rest goes up is a bonus
Old May 27, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Q54701
knowing that the window arm rest goes up is a bonus
I can't believe I'd never realized that. I'm going to be checking for that from now on whenever I'm in a window seat.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I raised the aisle side armrest on both configurations of Emirates' A-380s last week. I think I was the only person who did it.

The "secret" button is recessed in a hole, towards the hinge end of the armrest.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I almost always do the same, for the same reason. The release is located at various points on the underside or near the hinge, so I suspect few people are inquisitive enough to bother finding it.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I don't bother most of the time, but if I have a large seatmate, I'll raise the armrest and slide over a bit. It's also a useful trick for sliding out without closing the tray table, which may be cluttered with beverages and/or my laptop.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

I learned of this capability only recently thanks to FT. I raised the arm of my aisle seat each flight. I am careful of the carts coming through. I liked it when I needed to get out and didn't hit my hip on the arm rest. I don't think I saw anyone else on my recent flights that did this so I am thinking that many are unaware or don't need this feature (I do since I am a large hipped woman).
Old May 27, 2015, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I often raise the arm rest on planes, trains, and buses to make it easier to get out of the seat, with clothing less likely to get caught and tear. Howeever, during travel, I would worry about being bumped by carts or other passengers in the aisle.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:25 pm

This is one of my favorite tricks. Last WN flight I was on I put it up to facilitate getting out of my row. A lady sitting across and ahead of me saw and tried to do the same thing without even trying to find the button. She just kept yanking up on it harder and harder. I was close to telling her how to do it to just to keep her from ripping it off but then the line got to her and she just walked off. Crisis averted.

However, I had no idea you could raise the window armrest. I'm going to have to look into that one.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:38 am

I thought of this thread last night as I raised the arm rest on my aisle seat. I always (when equipped) do it during boarding and de-planing just to make it easier for everyone to get out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.