Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Doesn't Stamp American Passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Random question. A few years ago, I traveled to Canada on vacation. I got in late (by train) and the Customs officer grilled me hard (unnecessary, but whatever), so I guess I didn't notice that she didn't stamp my passport. I also wasn't stamped returning to the US, but that's fairly normal (every once in a while an agent will ask if I want a re-entry stamp, but it's not common).

Anywho, my security clearance came up for renewal recently (see why the grilling was unnecessary? I freely volunteered that I am a U.S. federal employee when she asked as one of her first questions), and I trucked in both my work and personal passports to support my international travel records in my interview. That's when it came up that I hadn't received an entry stamp on the Canadian trip (which I listed on the paperwork). The investigator made kind of a big deal about it, but let it go when I submitted my travel confirmations and credit card statements from the time showing my activity while there (and people said I was crazy for keeping all my confirmations in a folder in my email).

So my question is, is it SOP for Canadian border control to *not* stamp U.S. passports? I know that we have pretty liberal travel "agreements" with Canada, but didn't realize that meant no passport stamp. Is it a big pain/red flag to request one if I go back, so that my travel records match my paperwork when my clearance comes up for review again? I carry my work ID in my purse, so I can show a decent reason for requesting one, I suppose...
Old May 25, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

I travel to Canada 3-4 times a month.

No passport stamps. Not one.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:51 am

Stamped last week - as always YMMV :shrugs:
Old May 25, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I've only entered Canada once with my current passport. No stamp (entered by land, if that makes a difference).
Old May 25, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Haha...guess it is truly random and I should just ask. I actually stapled the loose FULL PAGE Macau gave me when I made a day trip there into my passport so that I could demonstrate and document all of my travel, but never considered I'd have "paperwork problems" with CANADA! On the bright side, I'm good for at least the next 5 years? Crossing all digits this doesn't come up again in a later review, since they *can* ask about anything..."yes, as I told the last investigator, I was biking and hiking around Vancouver, in between eating ALL THE FOOD...do I need to prove that AGAIN???"
Old May 25, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
I think it's primarily just the swipe. US does the swipe and stamp.

Stamps are expensive.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite

It all depends on why you're entering Canada. If you are entering for business purposes or on a work visa, you should get a stamp. Tourism or transit, you would have nothing.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dachiri
Hi all,

Random question. A few years ago, I traveled to Canada on vacation. I got in late (by train) and the Customs officer grilled me hard (unnecessary, but whatever), so I guess I didn't notice that she didn't stamp my passport. I also wasn't stamped returning to the US, but that's fairly normal (every once in a while an agent will ask if I want a re-entry stamp, but it's not common).

Anywho, my security clearance came up for renewal recently (see why the grilling was unnecessary? I freely volunteered that I am a U.S. federal employee when she asked as one of her first questions), and I trucked in both my work and personal passports to support my international travel records in my interview. That's when it came up that I hadn't received an entry stamp on the Canadian trip (which I listed on the paperwork). The investigator made kind of a big deal about it, but let it go when I submitted my travel confirmations and credit card statements from the time showing my activity while there (and people said I was crazy for keeping all my confirmations in a folder in my email).

So my question is, is it SOP for Canadian border control to *not* stamp U.S. passports? I know that we have pretty liberal travel "agreements" with Canada, but didn't realize that meant no passport stamp. Is it a big pain/red flag to request one if I go back, so that my travel records match my paperwork when my clearance comes up for review again? I carry my work ID in my purse, so I can show a decent reason for requesting one, I suppose...
Oh, the investigator sure knew in advance exactly how and when you entered and departed pretty much any country you went to, how you entered/departed and so on, except if you traveled between countries that don't readily share data with the USA. As long as your questionnaire that you complete prior to the personal interview is reasonably accurate, you should be fine. And of course, you'll answer the questions that give the investigator a reason for existence truthfully and accurately.

Was your passport actually a required production item for your last interview?
Old May 25, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I've been into Canada about 20 times (I think) over the last 4-5 years. I've been stamped twice: Once during the ritual Customs grilling when I got pulled off the train (it was autopilot for them to stamp in that case, I think) and once when I was doing an in-and-out on the Portland-Yarmouth ferry (I was on Canadian soil for about 90 minutes between docking and reboarding).

I think part of the reason the US and Canada have a no-stamp situation is that you've got plenty of folks for whom those stamps would fill out a passport book every year.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I think part of the reason the US and Canada have a no-stamp situation is that you've got plenty of folks for whom those stamps would fill out a passport book every year."

And, of course, a U.S. citizen entering Canada by land or water does not even need a passport. An enhanced driver license or passport card will suffice -- and you can't stamp those.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
I've been flying fairly frequently into YYZ for the last 13 years and up until five years ago it was about a 50% chance that I'd get a passport stamp. Since then I'm pretty sure I've been stamped every single time. All my trips have been by air if that makes a difference.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Prewrappedbacon
It all depends on why you're entering Canada. If you are entering for business purposes or on a work visa, you should get a stamp. Tourism or transit, you would have nothing.
Well, out of 13 tourism entries to Canada, I've had passport entry stamp on all. Never an exit stamp, though
Old May 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
I worked In Canada for 5 years. And I also grew up in SEA so driven many times to YVR. You never get stamped driving over but pretty much Always when flying. They never stamp via bus either. All of my canada stamps are from when I needed new work permits since I have nexus.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Oh, the investigator sure knew in advance exactly how and when you entered and departed pretty much any country you went to, how you entered/departed and so on, except if you traveled between countries that don't readily share data with the USA. As long as your questionnaire that you complete prior to the personal interview is reasonably accurate, you should be fine. And of course, you'll answer the questions that give the investigator a reason for existence truthfully and accurately.

Was your passport actually a required production item for your last interview?
As I'm sure you've heard given the Snowden snafu and whatnot, many of the investigations nowadays are conducted by contractors. It's not like I have a TS/SCI clearance or anything, so I'd wager she was a contractor hired to push paperwork for those of us with "low level" clearances, and just latched onto a minor paperwork discrepancy to make it clear she was "doing her job." Overall, I felt very comfortable that I could document all of my travel, but I'd rather not have to turn over personal documents again if it can be avoided by just requesting a passport stamp when one is not routinely given. My question was simply "was this an oddity or do I need to request a stamp when entering Canada if I want/need one?"

I was asked to bring my passports to the interview given the extensive international travel I've done for both work and personal reasons. I'm not exactly in a position to say "no" to what appeared to be a reasonable request.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:52 pm

My last trip to Hong Kong was no stamp. Read after they don't do it for tourist visa-free entries anymore. Maybe this is a growing trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.