Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11 seater a380 vs 10 seater 777

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 1:25 am
Original Poster

11 seater a380 vs 10 seater 777

Which will be the more uncomfortable layout? I have riden on a 10 seater 777 although the seat pitch was 33 inches, and it was not too bad, I personally felt that even 31 inches was still bearable on that plane.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
The fuselage of an A380 is 3'1" wider than that of a 777. All things being equal, that allows for slightly wider seats and/or aisles despite having one more seat in each row. However, all things are not necessarily equal. A lot depends on how an airline chooses to configure its economy cabin. Which airline(s) are you thinking of here?
Old May 25, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ren0312
Which will be the more uncomfortable layout? I have riden on a 10 seater 777 although the seat pitch was 33 inches, and it was not too bad, I personally felt that even 31 inches was still bearable on that plane.
The pitch has nothing to do with the number of seats across - which affects seat and aisle width. If you and your seatmates are tall and skinny, you will want maximum pitch and not care so much about width (except that there are more people to climb over when going to the loo). Conversely, if you or your seatmates are short and rotund, then you'd better look for 9 across on the 777.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Philippine Airlines is looking at the A350, but they owned 747s before so if the high density A380s with NEO comes around, they may look into it, I am just wondering what it may be like. I am 5'7 so 31 inch seat pitch is not much of a problem.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I've flown Emirates and Qantas A-380s and both those airlines have 10 seats across in economy, in a 3-4-3 configuration. I found both comfortable, with adequate pitch and width.

Which airlines fly 11 across in economy?
Old May 26, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by celle
Which airlines fly 11 across in economy?
At the moment nobody, however its something thats been floating around. I believe EK are interested.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:57 am

Just doing the maths here; Currently, Emirates A-380 economy seats have a width of 18" and a pitch of 32-34".

To accommodate 11 across would mean reducing the seat width to approximately 16'5", plus narrowing both aisles. (10 seats reduced by 1.5" each = 15", plus approx 2" reduction in each aisle width = 4", giving a total of 19", allowing for small arm rests.)

Not acceptable for me!
Old May 26, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
To accommodate 11 across would mean reducing the seat width to approximately 16'5"
That would be worse than short haul budget carriers
Old May 26, 2015, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Just doing the maths here; Currently, Emirates A-380 economy seats have a width of 18" and a pitch of 32-34".

To accommodate 11 across would mean reducing the seat width to approximately 16'5", plus narrowing both aisles. (10 seats reduced by 1.5" each = 15", plus approx 2" reduction in each aisle width = 4", giving a total of 19", allowing for small arm rests.)

Not acceptable for me!
11 seater A380s would still be 18 inches across per seat.

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...0-seating-2017
Old May 26, 2015, 8:57 am

The problem is that the side wall on the lower deck of the A380 already curves in as it is, making the window seat less comfortable. Adding another seat by taking the space away from underneath the window seat will make it even worse.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Efrem
The fuselage of an A380 is 3'1" wider than that of a 777. All things being equal, that allows for slightly wider seats and/or aisles despite having one more seat in each row. However, all things are not necessarily equal. A lot depends on how an airline chooses to configure its economy cabin. Which airline(s) are you thinking of here?
11-across A380 remains a hypothetical, and would be expected to hit on EK first since they're the ones who asked for it from Airbus. It sounds bloody miserable to be in that middle-of-5 seat!

On the current configs, I end up picking them like this:
Of the comfortable set:
2-4-3 787 > 2-4-2 Airbus > 2-5-2 777 > 3-4-3 A380 > 3-3-3 777
Of the too-narrow-seat-set, to avoid if I can: 2-3-2 767 > (hypothetically 3-3-3 787) > 3-4-3 747 > 3-4-3 777

...although it's a bit of a silly comparison on the airlines I fly as I rarely have more than one option on the same routes on the alliance I fly, and I'm rarely in a position to pick the routing purely by my aircraft choice.

I'd expect the 3-5-3 A380 to slot in right around the 787 in the second group -- better than the others in width, but not a lot better.

Originally Posted by Alex71
The problem is that the side wall on the lower deck of the A380 already curves in as it is, making the window seat less comfortable. Adding another seat by taking the space away from underneath the window seat will make it even worse.
I think there had been some discussion of a new cabin wall with the EK request, but I couldn't confirm that. From experience in a window seat in coach on the QF (10-across) A380 and quite a few 747s, they seem to curve less than the smaller widebodies.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The pitch has nothing to do with the number of seats across - which affects seat and aisle width.
But it does affect overall comfort and personal space. More pitch helps - to an extent - limited width feel better.

Sure, but it is a BS measurement. They are measuring inside the arm rests and making the arm rests narrower to maintain that dimension. You get less space but the measurement standard is tweaked to make it work in the math. Southwest is doing the same thing with its new 737 seats (which will actually be on a plane relatively soon).

The A380 11-abreast cabin mockup was on display at the AIX conference in Hamburg earlier this year. I sat in the seats and explored it in detail. The window seat will be mostly miserable thanks to the curve of the side wall, among other things.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, but it is a BS measurement. They are measuring inside the arm rests and making the arm rests narrower to maintain that dimension. You get less space but the measurement standard is tweaked to make it work in the math.[...]The window seat will be mostly miserable thanks to the curve of the side wall, among other things.
Thanks for posting the details... as someone who prefers windows the amount of curvature by the legs at the window looks bloody awful (although at least it is still curving out higher up), and the narrower armrests to claim a wider seat seems like a sad joke as well. Seatpan width isn't an entirely useless measurement but I wish airlines would measure width by center-to-center (more like pitch) as it's what's representative of actual shoulder room.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:43 am

So this article claims, but it doesn't explain how.
Given a fixed aircraft width, fitting an extra seat into each row can only be done at the expense of narrowing either seats or aisles, or both.

I doubt that sufficient room for an extra seat could be obtained by making the armrests any thinner.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this article claims, but it doesn't explain how.
Given a fixed aircraft width, fitting an extra seat into each row can only be done at the expense of narrowing either seats or aisles, or both.

I doubt that sufficient room for an extra seat could be obtained by making the armrests any thinner.
If you look at message 13 above, while it doesn't let you do that, it does let Airbus pretend the seats aren't actually getting narrower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.